Super Moon and Japan/NZ

Super Moon and Japan/NZ

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

K

Moves
26 Apr 11

lol ๐Ÿ™‚

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
26 Apr 11
1 edit

Originally posted by Kostenuik
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/world/10_largest_world.php

1960's

16. Kuril Islands 1963 10 13 8.5

8. Rat Islands, Alaska 1965 02 04 8.7

2. Prince William Sound, Alaska 1964 03 28 9.2

1. Chile 1960 05 22 9.5

1970's

None

1980's

None

1990's

None

2000'

12. Southern Sumatra, Indonesia 2007 09 12 8.5

9. Nor ...[text shortened]... was right and you were wrong and now 20,000+ people are dead cause you are an ignorant. ๐Ÿ˜ณ.
Number 12 is on the top 10 now? Impressive. How low will you continue to go?

Are you going to address the links where the same website says that the claim that large earthquakes are more common is a myth? Without discrediting the very data you use, of course.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
26 Apr 11

"A: Although it may seem that we are having more earthquakes, earthquakes of magnitude 7.0 or greater have remained fairly constant throughout this century and, according to our records, have actually seemed to decrease in recent years."

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/learn/faq/?faqID=110

K

Moves
26 Apr 11

Originally posted by Palynka
"A: Although it may seem that we are having more earthquakes, earthquakes of magnitude 7.0 or greater have remained fairly constant throughout this century and, according to our records, have actually seemed to decrease in recent years."

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/learn/faq/?faqID=110
Again ignorant this isn't the data I'm concerned with. I never said 7.0 or greater increase but the largest of earthquakes.

K

Moves
26 Apr 11

Number 12 is on the top 10 now? Impressive. How low will you continue to go?

Are you going to address the links where the same website says that the claim that large earthquakes are more common is a myth? Without discrediting the very data you use, of course.
Now you complain about the link? What next?

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
26 Apr 11
1 edit

Now you complain about the link? What next?
You should learn how to read as I did not complain about the link. In fact, I'm the one praising it and you're the one that cherry picks the pages he likes and closing his eyes to the ones he doesn't.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
26 Apr 11

Again ignorant this isn't the data I'm concerned with. I never said 7.0 or greater increase but the largest of earthquakes.
You made claims about Earth being "unstable", yet that doesn't show up in data for large earthquakes. This is evidence that basing your argument on the top 10 (which by definition are outliers AND an incredibly small sample) is very, very likely to be faulty.

K

Moves
26 Apr 11

You made claims about Earth being "unstable", yet that doesn't show up in data for large earthquakes. This is evidence that basing your argument on the top 10 (which by definition are outliers AND an incredibly small sample) is very, very likely to be faulty.
Keep harping on about 7 plus earthquakes. That isn't what I said but that is a habit of yours isn't it making claims that other people make based on the thoughts that pop into your ignorant head. Face the fact... by my claims Japan was fully predictable but by your statistical nonesense 20,000+ people died cause so many people are ignorant like you.

K

Moves
26 Apr 11
1 edit

Ill repost it just for you seeing a variance of six earthquakes is too much for your brain to handle. I can accept a variance of 6 earthquakes but not 1000's as you keep saying for 7+ earthquakes.

1960's

8. Rat Islands, Alaska 1965 02 04 8.7

2. Prince William Sound, Alaska 1964 03 28 9.2

1. Chile 1960 05 22 9.5

1970's

None

1980's

None

1990's

None

2000'

9. Northern Sumatra, Indonesia 2005 03 28 8.6

6. Offshore Maule, Chile 2010 02 27 8.8

4. Near the East Coast of Honshu, Japan 2011 03 11 9.0

3. Off the West Coast of Northern Sumatra 2004 12 26 9.1

See that ignorant. 1 large aftershock/delayed earthquake in Japan and half of all earthquakes in reputable earthquake data for the top ten will have occured in less then the last 7 seven years.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
26 Apr 11

Keep harping on about 7 plus earthquakes. That isn't what I said but that is a habit of yours isn't it making claims that other people make based on the thoughts that pop into your ignorant head. Face the fact... by my claims Japan was fully predictable but by your statistical nonesense 20,000+ people died cause so many people are ignorant like you.
It's not my statistical nonsense, it's the analysis of the United States Geological Survey’s Earthquake Hazards Program.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
26 Apr 11
2 edits

Ill repost it just for you seeing a variance of six earthquakes is too mjuch for your brain to handle.
We all have seen that a million times. Do you think reposting it will convince anyone that these are not outliers that shouldn't be over-interpreted?

" I can accept a variance of 6 earthquakes but not 1000's as you keep saying for 7+ earthquakes. "
This is just gibberish.

K

Moves
26 Apr 11
1 edit

It's not my statistical nonsense, it's the analysis of the United States Geological Survey’s Earthquake Hazards Program.
Yes it is statistical nonsense as you are trying to disprove what I am stating by using irrelavent data to what I claim.
Because of the logarithmic basis of the scale, each whole number increase in magnitude represents a tenfold increase in measured amplitude; as an estimate of energy, each whole number step in the magnitude scale corresponds to the release of about 31 times more energy than the amount associated with the preceding whole number value

Read more: The Severity of an Earthquake — Infoplease.com http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0763386.html#ixzz1Kdwjq37n

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
26 Apr 11

Yes it is statistical nonsense as you are trying to disprove what I am stating by using irrelavent data to what I claim.
How is the frequency of >7 earthquakes not relevant to the claim that the Earth is "unstable"?

K

Moves
26 Apr 11

How is the frequency of >7 earthquakes not relevant to the claim that the Earth is "unstable"?
It is unstable in regards to the largest of earthquakes not one's 50 times smaller.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
26 Apr 11

It is unstable in regards to the largest of earthquakes not one's 50 times smaller.
Ah, so the instability cherry picks the range of magnitudes?