Physics Professor Dismissed Because of 'Feminine Voice'

Physics Professor Dismissed Because of 'Feminine Voice'

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

D

Moves
27 Feb 16

h

Moves
27 Feb 16

I wonder; could a female professor be dismissed for having a 'masculine voice'?

Cape Town

Moves
27 Feb 16

He wasn't dismissed, his contract was not renewed, not quite the same thing.
I do agree that the grounds given were unreasonable and that he should consider emigrating if he can (its not easy).
I do think public speakers including lecturers should do what they can to improve their oration and that a University has the right to choose its lecturers based in part on the quality of their speaking ability, but I am not convinced that a 'feminine voice' is necessarily an impediment to clear speech. I have had lecturers and teachers who spoke too quietly, but one can correct that with a PA system. (or getting the class to be a bit quieter).

K

Germany

Moves
27 Feb 16

The post that was quoted here has been removed
My advice for him would be to find a postdoc/lecturer position in Europe.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
27 Feb 16

It seems 40 must be a few years after the Phd, so why now? He has presumably been teaching there for years. It might be a ploy to get rid of him for some other reason, not towing the party line or some such.

K

Germany

Moves
27 Feb 16

Originally posted by sonhouse
It seems 40 must be a few years after the Phd, so why now? He has presumably been teaching there for years. It might be a ploy to get rid of him for some other reason, not towing the party line or some such.
I don't know much about Iran, but in the West one typically does not obtain a physics professorship (which in Western academia is always a permanent position) or lectureship position until reaching the late 30s.

n

The Catbird's Seat

Moves
27 Feb 16

Originally posted by KazetNagorra
I don't know much about Iran, but in the West one typically does not obtain a physics professorship (which in Western academia is always a permanent position) or lectureship position until reaching the late 30s.
I suspect as sonhouse has, that there is more to this than meets the eye.

Cape Town

Moves
27 Feb 16

Originally posted by normbenign
I suspect as sonhouse has, that there is more to this than meets the eye.
Quite likely so, but the point is that in a more reasonable society he might have a chance of taking it to court. In Iran he's probably better off just accepting it and finding another job.

D

Moves
27 Feb 16

D

Moves
27 Feb 16
4 edits

D

Moves
27 Feb 16
2 edits

D

Moves
27 Feb 16
1 edit

Cape Town

Moves
27 Feb 16

And quite often they have made a fuss about it without fear. I suspect that in Iran there is more to be afraid of. But then I do not know a lot about Iran and it may not be as bad as the media makes it out to be.

D

Moves
27 Feb 16
1 edit

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
28 Feb 16
1 edit

He could buy a voice transformer, make him sound like Schwarzenegger....."I'll be back'....