Limits of Science

Limits of Science

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E

Moves
20 Oct 17
1 edit

Originally posted by @moonbus
Ah, the truth comes out at last. This isn't about assumptions at all. It isn't about turning water to wine or evolution or the age of the universe or how it got started. It's about politics! It's about public school curricula and trying to preach religion as if it were science in the public schools.

Religion should be taught as religion and science should be taught as science.
It is about assumptions.

Your assumptions lead you to your beliefs. You pretend not to have assumptions, but that just goes to show your lack of intelligence or how deeply you've been brainwashed.

Schools should only teach real science, not unproven theories as fact. It confuses the weak minded. Most people in this forum are weak minded people.

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
20 Oct 17

Originally posted by @wildgrass
Literally the entire purpose of science is to ask and, more importantly, answer questions.

Its simpler than you think. The only questions that science cannot answer are those that are not testable. That's the limitation.
I don't think this is quite right. Science produces theories about the world, the theories are testable in the sense that one can test the subset of predictions the theory makes that are amenable to experiment. That the answer to a given question is not directly testable does not mean the theory cannot provide it; it just means one's confidence in the answer depends on one's confidence in the theory.

E

Moves
20 Oct 17
1 edit

Originally posted by @deepthought
I don't think this is quite right. Science produces theories about the world, the theories are testable in the sense that one can test the subset of predictions the theory makes that are amenable to experiment. That the answer to a given question is not directly testable does not mean the theory cannot provide it; it just means one's confidence in the answer depends on one's confidence in the theory.
If you are going to teach about human origins, unless you know facts, you should not teach it to children.

Kids believe what they learn in school and if you are weak minded you will be convinced that what was incorrectly forced upon you is absolute truth.

School should not be used to teach any theory about origins since it can't be proven true and trods on the realm of religion.

If you believe anything about origins, you put your faith into something unknowable.

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
21 Oct 17

Originally posted by @eladar
If you are going to teach about human origins, unless you know facts, you should not teach it to children.

Kids believe what they learn in school and if you are weak minded you will be convinced that what was incorrectly forced upon you is absolute truth.

School should not be used to teach any theory about origins since it can't be proven true and trod ...[text shortened]... eligion.

If you believe anything about origins, you put your faith into something unknowable.
What does this have to do with my post?

E

Moves
21 Oct 17

Originally posted by @deepthought
What does this have to do with my post?
You are one of the weak minded.

Read a book!

Moves
21 Oct 17

I know that everyone who has communicated with me in this forum assumes that the creation account is false.
I was wrong. I kept thinking that you couldn't be that stupid.

After all, you have a teacher's license, or whatever it is they issue in Oklahoma. You should have at least a hint of scientific knowledge.

But you are that stupid.

For the umpteenth time, no one here assumes the creation account is false, only that it lacks convincing evidence.

E

Moves
21 Oct 17

Originally posted by @handyandy

After all, you have a teacher's license, or whatever it is they issue in Oklahoma. You should have at least a hint of scientific knowledge.

But you are that stupid.

For the umpteenth time, no one here assumes the creation account is false, only that it lacks convincing evidence.
You are the fool.

You assume that if there is a natural explanation then the Creation account is false.

You assume bevause God created a totally true universe, God must be false.

Yet you can't explain how matter came into existence. You don't ask that question because you can't answer it, therefore you feel good about your assumption.

Read a book!

Moves
21 Oct 17

You are the fool.

You assume that if there is a natural explanation then the Creation account is false.

You assume bevause God created a totally true universe, God must be false.

Yet you can't explain how matter came into existence. You don't ask that question because you can't answer it, therefore you feel good about your assumption.
It's like talking to a brick wall.

Über-Nerd

Moves
21 Oct 17

It is about assumptions.

Your assumptions lead you to your beliefs. You pretend not to have assumptions, but that just goes to show your lack of intelligence or how deeply you've been brainwashed.

Schools should only teach real science, not unproven theories as fact. It confuses the weak minded. Most people in this forum are weak minded people.
I do not pretend to have no assumptions. I do not have the assumptions you impute to me.

Real science, as you call it, is not a bundle of what you think of as facts. Real science is a method of verifying hypotheses. If anyone here is confused about what science is and what its limits are, it is you.

If anyone here is making unwarranted assumptions leading to unproven beliefs, it is you. For example, your claim that everyone else here is unintelligent, brainwashed, and weak-minded.

As someone else elegantly put it, when you resort to argument ad hominem, it means you lost the argument already. Q.E.D.

E

Moves
21 Oct 17

Originally posted by @handyandy

But you are that stupid.

I have a bachelor's degree and had a teaching credential in California too.

My SAT math score was a 720. Testing in elementary school regularly put my math score in the top 95th to 99th percentile.

I have kids consistantly score 4 and 5 on their AP calculus tests, which is no small feat in medium sized schools in Oklahoma.

So no, I am not stupid, but to weak minded people whose beliefs are in opposition to mine, I must appear stupid.

E

Moves
21 Oct 17

I do not pretend to have no assumptions. I do not have the assumptions you impute to me.

Real science, as you call it, is not a bundle of what you think of as facts. Real science is a method of verifying hypotheses. If anyone here is confused about what science is and what its limits are, it is you.

If anyone here is making unwarranted assumptions lea ...[text shortened]... y put it, when you resort to argument ad hominem, it means you lost the argument already. Q.E.D.
Then you need to recognize what you call real science as having limits when it comes to determining truth.

E

Moves
21 Oct 17

Funny how wildgrass can glimpse qhat I am saying and agrees with my basic premise concerning the limits of science.

He is unique to this forum.

Über-Nerd

Moves
21 Oct 17
1 edit

Then you need to recognize what you call real science as having limits when it comes to determining truth.
I do recognize that science has limits. It does not distinguish miraculously produced wine from conventionally produced wine, for example. Nor does it detect evidence for the creation of the universe, the Earth, and life, in 6 days, by God as described in Genesis.

What you need to do is stop imputing to science tasks beyond its reach and then denegrating science for failure to deliver what is beyond its reach.

E

Moves
21 Oct 17

I do recognize that science has limits. It does not distinguish miraculously produced wine from conventionally produced wine, for example. Nor does it detect evidence for the creation of the universe, the Earth, and life, in 6 days, by God as described in Genesis.

What you need to do is stop imputing to science tasks beyond its reach and then denegrating science for failure to deliver what is beyond its reach.
If it does not detect evidence of creation, perhaps it is because it can't.

This is the truth that eludes your belief system.

Über-Nerd

Moves
21 Oct 17

If it does not detect evidence of creation, perhaps it is because it can't.

This is the truth that eludes your belief system.
That that is a truth is your contention, not mine. This is the Science Forum; if you expect to be taken seriously, then present evidence for your contention and we will consider it.