1. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    29 Jul '21 06:12
    @eladar said
    I was not aware that you were trying to change the topic. Sorry, but I did not realize you wanted to let me know whole grain bread contain protien as well. Protein content was never anything I have ever seen as a reason to consume bread.

But I think so far everyone agrees, there is no reason one must eat grains.
    I don't agree that we don't need grains.
    It's my opinion that we need a varied diet.
    I also, having researched btw, am of the opinion that we not only don't need animal products, including fish and milk, but also that's these contain things that are harmful to our bodies.

If you genuinely want to know what is good to eat then I encourage all posters here to look at fact based science, information taken from independent research and randomised trials. The food industry are excellent at missinformation which has been repeated in this thread.
  2. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    29 Jul '21 12:331 edit
    @yo-its-me said
    I don't agree that we don't need grains.
    It's my opinion that we need a varied diet.
    I also, having researched btw, am of the opinion that we not only don't need animal products, including fish and milk, but also that's these contain things that are harmful to our bodies.

If you genuinely want to know what is good to eat then I encourage all posters here to look at fac ...[text shortened]... d trials. The food industry are excellent at missinformation which has been repeated in this thread.
    Unless you can find some nutrient unique to grains, your belief is rooted in something other than scientific fact.

Even with whole grains you cannot escape the fact that grains are carb dense. Adding sugar with fiber slowing down absorption is still adding sugar. If a person is watching blood sugar, then not having sugar at all is better than having sugar.

Using psylium or konjak root for fiber sources is relatively new. This means that people who simply do what was done in the past will neither understand it nor trust it.

The problem with modern people is the lack of physical activity. If you are not using the energy, then you need to lower your intake of digestable carbs/sugars.

What nutrient or biological function do grains provide that cannot be achieved with a much lower sugar source of nutrition?
  3. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    29 Jul '21 16:531 edit
    @eladar said
    Are grains required for a healthy diet?

What is there in grains that cannot be found in other food sources?

When I was in school I was taught grains were one of the parts of the food pyramid. Grains were a large part of the food pyramid, but I now question the claim.
    I have a neighbor who eats only meat. 100% meat-based diet and loves it. No salt, pepper, spices, chives eggs, dairy or anything that isn't meat. I guess she drinks water, though. Claims about antioxidants and what not.

She seems fine. A little weird, but healthy-ish.
  4. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    29 Jul '21 17:052 edits
    @wildgrass said
    I have a neighbor who eats only meat. 100% meat-based diet and loves it. No salt, pepper, spices, chives eggs, dairy or anything that isn't meat. I guess she drinks water, though. Claims about antioxidants and what not.

The weakess of that diet is that all that meat consumption is hard on the kidneys. It is one of the reasons why kidney disease is a common reason for death among body builders.

Earlier this year I was on an all meat diet, but included eggs, and was losing a consistent 5 to 7 pounds a week. I did that for a couple of months.

As of late I would say my diet is 70 percent veggies 30 percent protein. Even my eggs which used to come with bacon, now is mostly squash and onion without bacon. My weight loss as slowed down quite a bit, but still losing not gaining.
  5. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    29 Jul '21 19:18
    @eladar said
    Unless you can find some nutrient unique to grains, your belief is rooted in something other than scientific fact.

Even with whole grains you cannot escape the fact that grains are carb dense. Adding sugar with fiber slowing down absorption is still adding sugar. If a person is watching blood sugar, then not having sugar at all is better than having sugar.

Using psylium ...[text shortened]... ical function do grains provide that cannot be achieved with a much lower sugar source of nutrition?
    Ok, whatever.
  6. Standard memberbunnyknight
    bunny knight
    planet Earth
    Moves
    29 Jul '21 19:18
    @wildgrass said

All my friends and acquaintances who were regular meat and chicken eaters either developed horrifically painful gut disease, or were luckier and died from heart disease.

But you and your family are probably strong and tough, so a meat diet might be okay for you ... just go ahead and give it a try.
  7. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    29 Jul '21 19:22
    @bunnyknight said
    All my friends and acquaintances who were regular meat and chicken eaters either developed horrifically painful gut disease, or were luckier and died from heart disease.

But you and your family are probably strong and tough, so a meat diet might be okay for you ... just go ahead and give it a try.
    Define regular meat eaters?

People who include meat daily in their diet? As in people who might have a meat, two vegetables and a piece of fruit?
  8. Standard memberbunnyknight
    bunny knight
    planet Earth
    Moves
    29 Jul '21 19:35
    @eladar said
    Are grains required for a healthy diet?

What is there in grains that cannot be found in other food sources?

When I was in school I was taught grains were one of the parts of the food pyramid. Grains were a large part of the food pyramid, but I now question the claim.
    OK, all jokes aside, take wheat for example: A tasty yummy diet of enriched white bread will basically destroy your health. Take the same wheat grain and make it into fermented or sprouted whole grain bread and you have a food that is packed with so many nutrients, enzymes and amino acids that you can literally live on it.

Also, there are millions of combinations of grains, legumes and seeds that will provide all the amino acids you require to make protein. Rice and beans are a classic example.
    Meat protein, for example, is unusable by your body until it's first broken down into amino acids.

Now the really bad news: All this has been known more than 30 years ago but it's being ignored and suppressed.
  9. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    29 Jul '21 19:41
    @bunnyknight said
    OK, all jokes aside, take wheat for example: A tasty yummy diet of enriched white bread will basically destroy your health. Take the same wheat grain and make it into fermented or sprouted whole grain bread and you have a food that is packed with so many nutrients, enzymes and amino acids that you can literally live on it.

Also, there are millions of combinations of ...[text shortened]... ally bad news: All this has been known more than 30 years ago but it's being ignored and suppressed.
    Why are the options only grains and meats?

Your comment about needing to be digested and ignoring omega 3 fats you get from fish seems to be a bit misleading.
  10. Standard memberbunnyknight
    bunny knight
    planet Earth
    Moves
    29 Jul '21 19:43
    @eladar said
    Define regular meat eaters?
    I'm talking about people that consume at least 1 meat product every single day, regardless of other stuff they eat.
  11. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    29 Jul '21 19:44
    @bunnyknight said
    I'm talking about people that consume at least 1 meat product every single day, regardless of other stuff they eat.
    Oh wow, that is the typical diet in the US. Yet the results you describe are not typical. I guess your friends ate bad meat.
  12. Standard memberbunnyknight
    bunny knight
    planet Earth
    Moves
    29 Jul '21 20:02
    @eladar said
    Why are the options only grains and meats?

Your comment about needing to be digested and ignoring omega 3 fats you get from fish seems to be a bit misleading.
    General rule of thumb is that humans can handle consuming meat about once a week if they also get enough fiber. Whole grains that are not saturated with herbicides provide many essential nutrients and fiber, but vegetables and seeds are even better.
    And deep-frying any of these items basically destroys the food and creates carcinogens.

As for that endless omega 3 controversy, there are many non-meat foods that provide it, such as fermented grains and beans, yogurt, cheese, eggs and seafood.
  13. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    29 Jul '21 20:04
    @bunnyknight said
    General rule of thumb is that humans can handle consuming meat about once a week if they also get enough fiber. Whole grains that are not saturated with herbicides provide many essential nutrients and fiber, but vegetables and seeds are even better.
    And deep-frying any of these items basically destroys the food and creates carcinogens.

As for that endless omega 3 con ...[text shortened]... on-meat foods that provide it, such as fermented grains and beans, yogurt, cheese, eggs and seafood.
    Your general rule of thumb looks a bit extremist and not backed up by facts.
  14. Standard memberbunnyknight
    bunny knight
    planet Earth
    Moves
    29 Jul '21 20:06
    @eladar said
    Oh wow, that is the typical diet in the US. Yet the results you describe are not typical. I guess your friends ate bad meat.
    Yes. And some meat dishes are far worse than others, especially if combined with just white bread and fried potatoes.
  15. Standard memberbunnyknight
    bunny knight
    planet Earth
    Moves
    29 Jul '21 20:11
    @eladar said
    Your general rule of thumb looks a bit extremist and not backed up by facts.
    Not really my rule of thumb; this was all discovered by independent doctors and nutritionists decades ago, before the entire food and drug industry was completely taken over by giant corporate interests who now disseminate their own 'facts'.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree