1. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    28 Jul '21 06:301 edit
    @eladar said
    So you are arguing that you must have grains to get proteins? You cannot get proteins from nuts, legumes or vegetables?

Remember we are talking about grains being the only source, which would make them essential.

Seems to me you are trying to pretend you have a point by saying grains contain protein. Do you agree that there are other non-meat sources of protein?
    This is not good debate culture by you (again!). You claimed:

Grains are not a source of proteins.

You at least erred here. Admit that and clarify hat you meant: Nuts and legumes have more protein than grain. Yo did not claim that you can't get proteins from nuts.
    This is a straw man attack, nd can be classified as a blatant lie, since you infer that she claimed that.

Course of action: Apologize. Now. Unconditional. to Yo.
  2. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    28 Jul '21 06:32
    @eladar said
    Are grains required for a healthy diet?

What is there in grains that cannot be found in other food sources?

When I was in school I was taught grains were one of the parts of the food pyramid. Grains were a large part of the food pyramid, but I now question the claim.
    Answer to OP:

No grains are not necessary. You can live on potatoes for Carbohydrates.

If you want to deabte the politics of the food pyramide do so in "Debates"
  3. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    28 Jul '21 07:57
    @ponderable said

Thank you Ponderable
  4. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    28 Jul '21 11:301 edit
    @ponderable said
    This is not good debate culture by you (again!). You claimed:

Grains are not a source of proteins.

You at least erred here. Admit that and clarify hat you meant: Nuts and legumes have more protein than grain. Yo did not claim that you can't get proteins from nuts.
    This is a straw man attack, nd can be classified as a blatant lie, since you infer that she claimed that.

Yes, I should have said not a good source of protein.

I also should have said grains are not essential as a source for protein, which is the actual topic of the thread.
  5. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    28 Jul '21 11:32
    But hey, if you have no problem with people going blind, having their feet amputated and destroying their kidneys, keep telling diabetics to eat grains.
  6. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    28 Jul '21 11:34
    @ponderable said
    Answer to OP:

No grains are not necessary. You can live on potatoes for Carbohydrates.

If you want to deabte the politics of the food pyramide do so in "Debates"
    Are carbs essential?
  7. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    28 Jul '21 12:42
    Just to be clear, this discussion is only for people who need to be concerned about blood sugar or need to lose a few pounds.

Avoiding grains will only work if it is part of a carb limiting diet. For weight loss add to this calorie limiting diet combined with exercise. Actually, exercise is also important for glucose control and health in general.
  8. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    28 Jul '21 13:16
    @eladar said
    Are carbs essential?
    In fact carbohydrates and fat can be exchanged through body chemistry. However you also need fiber for your gut, those are more related with carbohydrates than with fat.

Carbs are not esential as such, but are very difficult to avoid (there are carbs in nuts). And some cereals, like oats are quite healthy in terms of fiber, protein and vitamins.
  9. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    28 Jul '21 13:272 edits
    @ponderable said
    In fact carbohydrates and fat can be exchanged through body chemistry. However you also need fiber for your gut, those are more related with carbohydrates than with fat.

Carbs are not esential as such, but are very difficult to avoid (there are carbs in nuts). And some cereals, like oats are quite healthy in terms of fiber, protein and vitamins.
    I was just pointing out there was no need for potatoes either.

If you read my earlier posts you will see I mentioned a couple of very low glycemic impact soluable fiber sources that could be used to replace the fiber from grains.

I agree carbs are difficult to avoid and many people suffer from this fact.

I agree with your point about food choices should also include nutrient value. I am now eating beets everyday to help improve endurance as well as lower blood pressure. I was surprised to find that eating beets did not create a blood sugar issue, so beets remain.
  10. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    28 Jul '21 21:38
    @eladar said
    Are grains required for a healthy diet?
    Probably not. Witness the Eskimos.
  11. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    28 Jul '21 22:28
    @soothfast said
    Probably not. Witness the Eskimos.
    I have added their Alaskan salmon to my daily lunch menu.
  12. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    28 Jul '21 22:37
    @eladar said
    I have added their Alaskan salmon to my daily lunch menu.
    Although I think I remember something about the Eskimos being genetically adapted to their diet, and to such an extent that they develop serious problems when they switch to a typical "Western" diet. If so, it suggests the reverse may also be the case: any European may develop serious deficiencies were he to switch to an Eskimo diet.

It is recommended that oily fish be eaten twice a week, at least.
  13. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    28 Jul '21 22:401 edit
    @soothfast said
    Although I think I remember something about the Eskimos being genetically adapted to their diet, and to such an extent that they develop serious problems when they switch to a typical "Western" diet. If so, it suggests the reverse may also be the case: any European may develop serious deficiencies were he to switch to an Eskimo diet.

It is recommended that oily fish be eaten twice a week, at least.
    Lots of regions of the world have problems digesting milk products.

As for the standard American diet, everyone suffers eating that.
  14. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    28 Jul '21 23:16
    @eladar said
    Yes, I should have said not a good source of protein.

I also should have said grains are not essential as a source for protein, which is the actual topic of the thread.
    That was sort of like an apology, but not really!
    No worries.
  15. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    28 Jul '21 23:33
    @yo-its-me said
    That was sort of like an apology, but not really!
    No worries.
    I was not aware that you were trying to change the topic. Sorry, but I did not realize you wanted to let me know whole grain bread contain protien as well. Protein content was never anything I have ever seen as a reason to consume bread.

But I think so far everyone agrees, there is no reason one must eat grains.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree