1. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    27 Jul '21 00:03
    Are grains required for a healthy diet?

What is there in grains that cannot be found in other food sources?

When I was in school I was taught grains were one of the parts of the food pyramid. Grains were a large part of the food pyramid, but I now question the claim.
  2. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    27 Jul '21 00:14
    The "food pyramid" is no longer in use. It's been replaced by a chart called the "my plate":

https://tinyurl.com/MyPlateChart
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    27 Jul '21 00:18
    @vivify

Grains is still on that my plate.

Why are grains considered essential?
  4. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    27 Jul '21 10:44
    @eladar said

When I was in school I was taught grains were one of the parts of the food pyramid. Grains were a large part of the food pyramid, but I now question the claim.
    Yes, grains are essential.

Questions like this is behind the reports that for all humans alive today to eat the essential foods not enough is being grown because other crops are mono planted instead that are not essential, like palm.

Grains (and please take the whole grain) should be consumed 3 times a day. For your immune system (gut microbiome). For fiber. For protein, antioxidants, and micronutrients.
  5. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    27 Jul '21 14:311 edit
    @yo-its-me said
    Yes, grains are essential.

Questions like this is behind the reports that for all humans alive today to eat the essential foods not enough is being grown because other crops are mono planted instead that are not essential, like palm.

Grains (and please take the whole grain) should be consumed 3 times a day. For your immune system (gut microbiome). For fiber. For protein, antioxidants, and micronutrients.
    You can feed your microbiome with vegetables, nuts and legumes. Add fermented foods to that list and you should have no problems at all.

Fiber sources such as psylium and konjak root can give you the fiber you need. These soluble fiber sources also feed your gut biome. It keeps you regular which means the gut bacteria are being fed all the time.

What nutrients are unique to grains?

With grains comes carbs and carbs grow yeast as well as causing diabetes.
  6. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    27 Jul '21 16:081 edit
    @eladar said
    You can feed your microbiome with vegetables, nuts and legumes. Add fermented foods to that list and you should have no problems at all.

Fiber sources such as psylium and konjak root can give you the fiber you need. These soluble fiber sources also feed your gut biome. It keeps you regular which means the gut bacteria are being fed all the time.

What nutrients are unique to grains?

With grains comes carbs and carbs grow yeast as well as causing diabetes.
    Yes you can feed your gut microbes with some veg.
    Yes fermented foods are good, yes veggies and fruits have fiber.
    I suspect your rethoric to protein is that animals eat the protein and you'll eat them, right?

Carbs don't cause diabetes, sorry I think you're about a decade out of the loop with that remark.

It's clear that generally people don't know enough about the fuel our bodies need or how to get the right nutritents in. All these years of learning and we're apt at manufacturing pseudo foods, making them last crazy long times. But we have no idea about the long term impact or what foods we're eating are making us ill.
  7. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    27 Jul '21 16:212 edits
    @yo-its-me said
    Yes you can feed your gut microbes with some veg.
    Yes fermented foods are good, yes veggies and fruits have fiber.
    I suspect your rethoric to protein is that animals eat the protein and you'll eat them, right?

Carbs don't cause diabetes, sorry I think you're about a decade out of the loop with that remark.

It's clear that generally people don't know enough about the ...[text shortened]... times. But we have no idea about the long term impact or what foods we're eating are making us ill.
    Grains are not a source of protein. Grains are a source of carbs and your body converts carbs into sugars. If your body gets overloaded with sugars you become diabetic. Cancers feed on sugars as well. Only protein and fats are essential for your body. Grains are mainly carbs that get converted to sugar.

It is obvious to me that you do not actually know anything on this topic. All you can do is repeat advice you have been given without actual info on the subject.

If you want protein from a vegetarian diet look to legumes and nuts.

Give me specific nutrients or other nutritional benefits that only grains can provide. Please do not simply repeat unsubstantiated claims that grains are generally good for you.

If you have no issues with blood sugars and you could not stand to lose a few pounds, then grains are fine. I believe the right number for your a1c is something like 5.6 at max.

If you are needing to watch your blood sugars then a great place to start is to eliminate grains.
  8. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    27 Jul '21 17:28
    @eladar said
    Grains are not a source of protein. Grains are a source of carbs and your body converts carbs into sugars. If your body gets overloaded with sugars you become diabetic. Cancers feed on sugars as well. Only protein and fats are essential for your body. Grains are mainly carbs that get converted to sugar.

It is obvious to me that you do not actually know anything on this to ...[text shortened]...

If you are needing to watch your blood sugars then a great place to start is to eliminate grains.
    A quick Google search will solve your problem eladar.
    I'll help you with some links:
    https://www.steadyhealth.com/articles/healthy-grains-with-the-highest-protein-to-carbohydrate-ratio
    https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/amaranth-health-benefits
    https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32641435/
    https://nutritionfacts.org/

Come back when you've studied the subject you profess to be proficient in please.
  9. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    27 Jul '21 18:06
    @yo-its-me said
    A quick Google search will solve your problem eladar.
    I'll help you with some links:
    https://www.steadyhealth.com/articles/healthy-grains-with-the-highest-protein-to-carbohydrate-ratio
    https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/amaranth-health-benefits
    https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32641435/
    https://nutritionfacts.org/

Come back when you've studied the subject you profess to be proficient in please.
    So you are arguing that you must have grains to get proteins? You cannot get proteins from nuts, legumes or vegetables?

Remember we are talking about grains being the only source, which would make them essential.

Seems to me you are trying to pretend you have a point by saying grains contain protein. Do you agree that there are other non-meat sources of protein?
  10. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    27 Jul '21 18:132 edits
    @eladar said
    @vivify

Grains is still on that my plate.

Why are grains considered essential?
    Reposted just in case you forgot the question.

Essential means must be consumed.

You have not presented a single thing of nutritional value that can only be obtained from grains.
  11. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    27 Jul '21 19:38
    @eladar said
    Reposted just in case you forgot the question.

Essential means must be consumed.

You have not presented a single thing of nutritional value that can only be obtained from grains.
    Don't eat them then, I don't care!
  12. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    27 Jul '21 19:48
    @yo-its-me said
    Don't eat them then, I don't care!
    So you are saying there is nothing in grains that you can only get through grains.
  13. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    27 Jul '21 20:02
    Grains, meat and milk are all unnecessary to the human diet.
  14. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    27 Jul '21 20:171 edit
    @athousandyoung said
    Grains, meat and milk are all unnecessary to the human diet.
    True, but with diabetes being such a problem, I do not know why sources so dense in carbs is being recommended.

Anyone with blood sugar issues needs to be educated on low carb sources of fiber as an alternative for grains.
  15. Standard memberbunnyknight
    bunny knight
    planet Earth
    Moves
    28 Jul '21 04:31
    @eladar said

Nah. The healthiest diet for humans is only that FDA approved food that's constantly being advertised on TV. Another words, soda, super-salty potato chips, candy bars, fried chicken and white enriched bread are the way to go for perfect health -- at least that's what the famous doctor Saar Kastik recommends.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree