Yet you have been wrong about GR.
    Nope.
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    01 Jun '19 16:16
    @metal-brain said
    Yet you have been wrong about GR. Deepthought has been wrong about GR and he has a phd, right?

Why should I believe you? I think you are guessing. You do not know at all.
    What have you proven what Humy got wrong about GR?
  3. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    05 Jun '19 03:25
    @sonhouse said
    What have you proven what Humy got wrong about GR?
    Time dilation is why things fall. I was right. It is the basis of GR.
  4. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    05 Jun '19 05:36
    @metal-brain said
    Time dilation is why things fall.
    Actually you said time dilation is gravity and I and others then proved you wrong by pointing out you can have time dilation without gravity.
  5. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    05 Jun '19 05:45
    @humy said
    Actually you said time dilation is gravity and I and others then proved you wrong by pointing out you can have time dilation without gravity.
    That doesn't prove me wrong. Why do things fall? Explain it without time dilation if I am wrong. You cannot do it.
  6. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    05 Jun '19 05:491 edit
    @metal-brain said
    Why do things fall?
    gravity.
    That doesn't prove me wrong.

you said time dilation is gravity and I and others then proved you wrong by pointing out you can have time dilation without gravity.
    How does that NOT prove you were wrong?
    Moving the goal posts doesn't change the fact you were wrong and we were right.
  7. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    05 Jun '19 07:03
    @humy said
    gravity.

you said time dilation is gravity and I and others then proved you wrong by pointing out you can have time dilation without gravity.
    How does that NOT prove you were wrong?
    Moving the goal posts doesn't change the fact you were wrong and we were right.
    That doesn't prove me wrong. Why do things fall? Explain it without time dilation if I am wrong. You cannot do it and you know it. That is why you are avoiding my question.
  8. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    05 Jun '19 07:466 edits
    @metal-brain said
    It proves you were wrong about time dilation being gravity and that you are not man enough to admit when you are wrong.
    Why do things fall?
    gravity
    Explain it without time dilation if I am wrong.
    No. Don't need to because gravity causes both things to fall and time dilation and I never said/implied anything to the contrary so you are just using straw man here. That doesn't mean time dilation IS gravity and I and others here have already repeatedly explained to you why time dilation is not the same thing as gravity.
    You cannot do it and you know it. That is why you are avoiding my question.
    Nope. I did answer you question and I do know it. That is why I don't avoid your question. What causes things to fall is gravity and that also causes time dilation but X causes/explains Y doesn't imply X IS Y. "cause/explains" doesn't equate with an "is". You on the other hand avoid mine; How can time dilation be the same thing as gravity when there can be time dilation without gravity involved? ...still waiting for you to answer to vindicate yourself...
  9. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    05 Jun '19 08:30
    @humy said
    It proves you were wrong about time dilation being gravity and that you are not man enough to admit when you are wrong.
    Why do things fall?
    gravity
    Explain it without time dilation if I am wrong.
    No. Don't need to because gravity causes both things to fall and time dilation and I never said/implied anything to the contrary so you are just usi ...[text shortened]... time dilation without gravity involved? ...still waiting for you to answer to vindicate yourself...
    Gravity does not explain why things fall. Everyone knows you are wrong for sure now. Good enough.
  10. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    05 Jun '19 09:063 edits
    @metal-brain said
    Gravity does not explain why things fall.
    That sounds ridiculous.

ANYONE (but especially the physics experts here);

Do you agree with his (slightly vague) assertion that "Gravity does not explain why things fall"? I think we first have to define what we mean by "explain" here! But at least in every day English layperson terms I for one would say "Gravity explains why things fall" although I might not say it in the context of general relativity (GR) but nor would I say "Gravity does not explain why things fall" in the context of GR because we need to be careful to first define what we mean by the word "explain" in that context as its exact meaning is a bit unclear in that context. But, remember, metal-brain is just a layperson without any expertise in GR so he was speaking in layperson terms and I for one would say that at least in purely layperson terms if not in GM terms the assertion "Gravity does not explain why things fall" is simply false.
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    05 Jun '19 15:53
    @metal-brain said
    Gravity does not explain why things fall. Everyone knows you are wrong for sure now. Good enough.
    All you are doing is parroting Greene. That doesn't prove anything.
  12. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    05 Jun '19 16:175 edits
    @sonhouse said
    All you are doing is parroting Greene.
    DID Greene say Gravity does not explain why things fall (or words of that effect)? I have noticed metal-brain has repeatedly wildly misinterpreted what other people have said; he does that all the time. So it might not be Greene he is parroting but rather what he THINKS Greene said he is parroting. I can't bother to check to see which.
  13. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    05 Jun '19 23:27
    @sonhouse said
    All you are doing is parroting Greene. That doesn't prove anything.
    You do that with deepthought and Greene knows physics better than him. I am pointing out that Greene agreed with my position I took long before Light Falls was aired. He was talking about time dilation for sure. There is no false interpretation at all. Humy is making stuff up again. He does that a lot.
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    08 Jun '19 17:491 edit
    @metal-brain said
    That doesn't prove me wrong. Why do things fall? Explain it without time dilation if I am wrong. You cannot do it and you know it. That is why you are avoiding my question.
    Both mass and mass going close to c causes time dillation. This is a proven fact. Time dilation from velocity has to be accounted for in particle accelerators since going very close to c greatly changes the time flow if the individual particles being accelerated. They also acquire greater mass by having velocities close to c. That greater mass means the magnets controlling steering has to have a much greater field strength than for particles (ions in my case) accelerated in our ion implanters, which have a velocity of 500,000 miles per hour, not very close to c so for us in the semiconductor world time dilation is negligible but not for the big guys, CERN and such.
    Ion implanters scan ion beams back and forth over semiconductor wafers like 100 Hertz scan speed or so, covering wafers up to 18 inches across, silicon pizza pies.
    So whatever the time dilation is for those ions, it doesn't make a whit of difference to the silicon wafer because they all slam into the surface and under the surface making a layer that turns pure silicon, an insulator, into a semiconductor after annealing.
    But for other jobs like GPS even in high orbit thousands of miles up going some 18,000 miles per hour, both the velocity and the lower gravity field changes time flow and has to be accounted for otherwise GPS would be worthless.
  15. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    09 Jun '19 01:55
    @humy said
    DID Greene say Gravity does not explain why things fall (or words of that effect)? I have noticed metal-brain has repeatedly wildly misinterpreted what other people have said; he does that all the time. So it might not be Greene he is parroting but rather what he THINKS Greene said he is parroting. I can't bother to check to see which.
    I took a look at Greene's Wikipedia page, and he also has a D.Phil. and not a Ph.D. having been at Oxford. His advisor was Professor Graham Ross, who was there when I was. I think he's pretty good, anyone who works in the areas that he does has to have a pretty good understanding of these things. I am sure that whatever Greene said is either a simplification for a lay-audience or it is just that metalbrain failed to understand what was being said.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree