1. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    04 Jul '19 06:162 edits
    @metal-brain said
    ASK A GOOD PROFESSOR WHO SPECIALIZES IN THE FIELD OF GR AND YOU WILL FIND OUT I AM RIGHT.
    You haven't shown that the 'professor' you refer to agrees with you, only that you may have misinterpreted what he said.
    In contrast, Deepthought is an expert in GM and he says your wrong.
    So its clear if we listen to the experts we find out you are wrong and we are right.
  2. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    04 Jul '19 06:57
    @humy said
    You haven't shown that the 'professor' you refer to agrees with you, only that you may have misinterpreted what he said.
    In contrast, Deepthought is an expert in GM and he says your wrong.
    So its clear if we listen to the experts we find out you are wrong and we are right.
    Greene agrees with me. That is obvious to the unbiased.

Ask a professor that understands Einstein's field equations. He will tell you I am right. You will not ask because you are afraid to find out. You are not confident I am wrong at all. If you were, you would ask a good professor instead of a guy that doesn't understand Einsein's field equations.

You have offered absolutely no alternative explanation to Greene's time warp being time dilation. He described time dilation perfectly. What do you claim he meant?
  3. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    04 Jul '19 07:01
    @metal-brain said
    Greene agrees with me.
    Then prove it to us.
  4. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    04 Jul '19 07:07
    @humy said
    Then prove it to us.
    You have offered absolutely no alternative explanation to Greene's time warp being time dilation. He described time dilation perfectly. What do you claim he meant?
  5. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    04 Jul '19 07:492 edits
    @metal-brain said
    You have offered absolutely no alternative explanation to Greene's time warp being time dilation.
    What has calling "time dilation" "time warp" got to do with it?
    That's not what we are arguing about.
    And how do you know he meant "time dilation" by "time warp"?
    Even if he did mean that then that would only mean that he totally unnecessarily used the wrong term for it thus indicating he didn't explain the physics well.
    And none of this changes the fact that Deepthought, who is GR expert, disagrees with you, thus you make no point.
  6. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    04 Jul '19 11:171 edit
    @humy said
    What has calling "time dilation" "time warp" got to do with it?
    That's not what we are arguing about.
    And how do you know he meant "time dilation" by "time warp"?
    Even if he did mean that then that would only mean that he totally unnecessarily used the wrong term for it thus indicating he didn't explain the physics well.
    And none of this changes the fact that Deepthought, who is GR expert, disagrees with you, thus you make no point.
    Not having watched Greene's thing I can't really comment on how well he explained the physics. I'd watch a twenty minute video, but it's very long and to make a judgement I'd probably need to watch the whole thing. The problem with "Time Warp" is that it is a term from science fiction and has a fluid meaning depending on what the author/script writer wants. He used it because it's familiar to his audience, but the problem is that it's not a well defined term and can be interpreted to mean what the viewer wants it to mean.

Edit: Expert is probably over-egging it, I got through the undergraduate course and worked on two dimensional quantum gravity, which is a lot simpler than the full theory. I'm confident about this point though.
  7. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    04 Jul '19 11:24
    @metal-brain said
    You are hopelessly dogmatic. ASK A GOOD PROFESSOR WHO SPECIALIZES IN THE FIELD OF GR AND YOU WILL FIND OUT I AM RIGHT.
    Theories are based around concepts. It's important to be clear about what the concepts actually are otherwise the theory has no meaning.
  8. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    04 Jul '19 11:37
    @deepthought said
    Not having watched Greene's thing I can't really comment on how well he explained the physics. I'd watch a twenty minute video, but it's very long and to make a judgement I'd probably need to watch the whole thing. The problem with "Time Warp" is that it is a term from science fiction and has a fluid meaning depending on what the author/script writer wants. He used it ...[text shortened]... uantum gravity, which is a lot simpler than the full theory. I'm confident about this point though.
    "Not having watched Greene's thing I can't really comment on how well he explained the physics."

You have been doing that all along! You have a lot of nerve claiming he didn't mean time dilation when you never watched it!

You need to know what Greene says before you claim he meant something different. Either watch it in full or shut your bloody mouth you uninformed creep!
  9. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    04 Jul '19 11:44
    @deepthought said
    Theories are based around concepts. It's important to be clear about what the concepts actually are otherwise the theory has no meaning.
    Exactly. You need to be clear about what Greene said otherwise your opinion has no meaning! Stop commenting about statements you have never heard as if you know what he said.

Greene described time dilation perfectly. There is no possible way he could be talking about anything else. If you had watched it you would know that. If you did watch it you are a liar. BTW, how did you know Greene was talking about time passing differently at his head than his feet? I never mentioned that. Either someone else told you or you watched it and are now claiming you did not. Which is it?
  10. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    04 Jul '19 14:57
    @metal-brain said
    "Not having watched Greene's thing I can't really comment on how well he explained the physics."

You have been doing that all along! You have a lot of nerve claiming he didn't mean time dilation when you never watched it!

You need to know what Greene says before you claim he meant something different. Either watch it in full or shut your bloody mouth you uninformed creep!
    I simply went on what you reported him saying and I have been quite open about that all along. Your interpretation of his statements is what I am questioning. Further, I am not going to fall into the trap of letting you generate huge amounts of work for me.
  11. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    04 Jul '19 15:01
    @metal-brain said
    Exactly. You need to be clear about what Greene said otherwise your opinion has no meaning! Stop commenting about statements you have never heard as if you know what he said.

Greene described time dilation perfectly. There is no possible way he could be talking about anything else. If you had watched it you would know that. If you did watch it you are a liar. BTW, how ...[text shortened]... that. Either someone else told you or you watched it and are now claiming you did not. Which is it?
    BTW, how did you know Greene was talking about time passing differently at his head than his feet? I never mentioned that.
    The first line of the fifth post on page 11 of this thread is by you and it reads:
    Greene was talking about the difference in proper time between his head and feet. That difference is what time dilation is.

https://www.dailychess.com/forum/science/faraday-cages.181071/page-11
  12. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    05 Jul '19 02:28
    @deepthought said
    I simply went on what you reported him saying and I have been quite open about that all along. Your interpretation of his statements is what I am questioning. Further, I am not going to fall into the trap of letting you generate huge amounts of work for me.
    You have spent far more time commenting on the program you falsely claim you never watched. You pointed out things Greene said that I never brought up before you did.
    You are dishonest. You know you are wrong and are just stubbornly in denial of the obvious.
  13. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    05 Jul '19 20:38
    @metal-brain said
    You have spent far more time commenting on the program you falsely claim you never watched. You pointed out things Greene said that I never brought up before you did.
    You are dishonest. You know you are wrong and are just stubbornly in denial of the obvious.
    Amazing as it may seem to you, all I have done is pay attention to what you said about his program and draw inferences.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree