1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    29 Mar '22 20:43
    @moonbus
    Right now I am more, well MUCH more worried about Putin and his plans than galaxy locus invasion.
    If aliens haven't found us yet it is unlikely they ever will, but our radio waves are now a bubble about 200 light years across so anyone with OUR kind of radio telescopes would detect our signals and it would be obvious it was not natural.
    Other than that, chances of aliens coming here are nil to zero.
  2. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    29 Mar '22 22:08
    @liljo said
    ....makes me wonder....just how wild is that grass?

I am not worried about any alien invasions. I am, however, worried about the infestation of crabgrass in my lawn this spring.
    Lean into that. A little diversity is good.
  3. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    30 Mar '22 02:54
    @liljo said
    ....makes me wonder....just how wild is that grass?

I am not worried about any alien invasions. I am, however, worried about the infestation of crabgrass in my lawn this spring.
    It causes Satanic music like jazz and swing, and causes white women to seek sexual relations with Negroes.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    31 Mar '22 21:51
    @AThousandYoung
    Crabgrass can do THAT? WOW.
  5. Joined
    28 Feb '16
    Moves
    01 Apr '22 13:50
    Four more exoplanets have been discovered in the last few days. There are now 5009 known exoplanets.

With the Webb, once fully operational, they expect to discover planets in other galaxies besides the Milky Way. Right now, it appears safe to assume there are far more planets in the Milky Way than stars.

With 100 billion stars (low end estimate) to 400 billion stars (high end estimate), and more planets than stars, all just in the Milky Way...then there are an estimated TWO TRILLION other galaxies...well, there simply must be trillions upon trillions of planets out there. And just think--many, if not most, of those planets have moons.

Probably more moons exist than planets!

(Now, about this crabgrass...Wildgrass is right...it ain't that bad...)
  6. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    01 Apr '22 18:59
    @liljo said
    Four more exoplanets have been discovered in the last few days. There are now 5009 known exoplanets.

With the Webb, once fully operational, they expect to discover planets in other galaxies besides the Milky Way. Right now, it appears safe to assume there are far more planets in the Milky Way than stars.

With 100 billion stars (low end estimate) to 400 billion stars (hig ...[text shortened]... moons exist than planets!

(Now, about this crabgrass...Wildgrass is right...it ain't that bad...)
    I've heard the estimate that, among all those planets/moons in the Milky way, 300 million would be potentially habitable. So yes, times 2 trillion and that's a lot of statistical power supporting alien life. But intergalactic travel, even by unmanned objects, will never happen. It's just too darn far away for us to ever encounter them.

Unless sonhouse is right about using wormholes or whatever.
  7. Joined
    28 Feb '16
    Moves
    01 Apr '22 19:20
    @wildgrass said
    I've heard the estimate that, among all those planets/moons in the Milky way, 300 million would be potentially habitable. So yes, times 2 trillion and that's a lot of statistical power supporting alien life. But intergalactic travel, even by unmanned objects, will never happen. It's just too darn far away for us to ever encounter them.

Unless sonhouse is right about using wormholes or whatever.
    I agree with you, WG. It's almost like it was "designed" to keep all life separated from one another.

I'm fairly certain the odds are that our species will face extinction well before we are able to do any intergalactic travel.
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    03 Apr '22 00:031 edit
    @Liljo
    I think there will be work to make wormholes connecting two places in the universe so you pop more like into an elevator and ZIP walk out the door on Tatooen or however they spelled it๐Ÿ™‚
    What makes me think that can be eventually is black holes to me are like the bathtub drain of the universe.

Now when you say DRAIN you are implying there is another place on the other side of that black hole, it is clear there is MUCH more to the universe than what we see with our best scopes and instrumentation.
  9. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    03 Apr '22 17:16
    @liljo said
    I agree with you, WG. It's almost like it was "designed" to keep all life separated from one another.

I'm fairly certain the odds are that our species will face extinction well before we are able to do any intergalactic travel.
    Brilliant move was to make it seem so vast and inhospitable. If a programmer ended our "universe" somewhere in the upper atmosphere or solar system then before long we'd bump into it like The Truman Show and know it was fake.
  10. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    03 Apr '22 17:16
    @sonhouse said
    @Liljo
    I think there will be work to make wormholes connecting two places in the universe so you pop more like into an elevator and ZIP walk out the door on Tatooen or however they spelled it๐Ÿ™‚
    What makes me think that can be eventually is black holes to me are like the bathtub drain of the universe.

Now when you say DRAIN you are implying there is another place on the ...[text shortened]... clear there is MUCH more to the universe than what we see with our best scopes and instrumentation.
    How long will it take us to travel to the wormhole?
  11. Joined
    28 Feb '16
    Moves
    04 Apr '22 03:06
    @wildgrass said
    Brilliant move was to make it seem so vast and inhospitable. If a programmer ended our "universe" somewhere in the upper atmosphere or solar system then before long we'd bump into it like The Truman Show and know it was fake.
    Admittedly, I have no idea what this means…
  12. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    05 Apr '22 02:21
    @liljo said
    Admittedly, I have no idea what this means…
    Sorry that was annoyingly sarcastic. I was implying that we are living in a computer game or game show in which the edge of our hamster cage is too far away for us to notice it's there.

Seriously, though, space is cool. I was certain when I was a kid that I'd be living on a moon colony or one of those cylindrical spinning artificial gravity worlds.
  13. Joined
    28 Feb '16
    Moves
    15 Apr '22 01:001 edit
    From news on exoplanets, dated April 13, 2022:

https://exoplanets.nasa.gov/news/1704/discovery-alert-a-flood-of-new-planets-plus-hint-of-an-exomoon/

Scientists have now confirmed the existence of 5011 exoplanets, so two additional planets have been confirmed since the last tally. The article above confirms the Webb will be used to study these new planets. It will actually be able to determine the makeup of many exoplanets' atmospheres.
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    20 Apr '22 14:46
    @wildgrass
    First off, wormholes are only hypothesis, we won't know much at all about them until we manage to combine Relativity with Quantum mechanics because Relativity breaks down at the incredible compression of matter in black holes and how that would relate to the bigger picture of wormholes which could connect us to an entirely different universe if in fact there ARE multiple universes which I kind of assume happens and THAT question is also just hypothesis with very little in the way of evidence, so maybe in another couple hundred years of scientific advancement we might answer those kind of questions.
  15. Joined
    28 Feb '16
    Moves
    22 Apr '22 00:28
    Three more confirmed. Total now 5014.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree