1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    01 Mar '22 22:29
    @Liljo
    I was given a ten inch Dobsinian scope which I only used once to see if the mirror was collimated which it was, but now waiting for clear skies, been cloudy here for months. Astronomy is not such a big deal here🙂 I do have a 20X80 binoculars with solar filters so I can see sunspots.
  2. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    02 Mar '22 17:23
    Planets are for land-lubbers.
    Planets are just training wheels.

😉
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    05 Mar '22 20:33
    @Kevin-Eleven
    So you figure our future in space is space cities in orbit around some star or other, not necessarily Sol. Or not even in orbit, just on a million year cruise?
  4. Subscribervendaonline
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    06 Mar '22 10:44
    @sonhouse said
    @Kevin-Eleven
    So you figure our future in space is space cities in orbit around some star or other, not necessarily Sol. Or not even in orbit, just on a million year cruise?
    I would never book a million year cruise.
    Think of all the passenger locator forms you'd have to fill in
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    06 Mar '22 16:05
    @venda
    I guess most passengers on that ship would be hibernating.....
  6. Joined
    28 Feb '16
    Moves
    10 Mar '22 15:22
    Not an exoplanet, but I do believe the Webb will finally prove the existence and actually provide imaging of the long believed existence of Planet 9 (known by most theorists as "Planet X".

A little aged, but this is a good introductory article about this possible planet within our solar system:

https://www.caltech.edu/about/news/caltech-researchers-find-evidence-real-ninth-planet-49523
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    11 Mar '22 19:05
    @Liljo
    The actual targets will be settled by a committee. For one thing, since we only know the general area such a planet would be so it would be up to other scopes to do a wider deeper look and if they peg it THEN Webb would take over but till then they already have a schedule of stars to look at.
  8. Joined
    28 Feb '16
    Moves
    12 Mar '22 00:00
    @sonhouse said
    @Liljo
    The actual targets will be settled by a committee. For one thing, since we only know the general area such a planet would be so it would be up to other scopes to do a wider deeper look and if they peg it THEN Webb would take over but till then they already have a schedule of stars to look at.
    You are correct. I shouldn’t have even hinted at the Webb being used to find it. Far to narrow a field of view for hunting targets. However, if it is actually located, the Webb could sure do some very interesting studies of it.
  9. Joined
    28 Feb '16
    Moves
    14 Mar '22 16:20

Removed by poster

10. Joined
    28 Feb '16
    Moves
    25 Mar '22 22:18
    Since this thread started, there have been 75 new exoplanet discoveries.
  11. Subscribermoonbus
    Ãœber-Nerd
    Moves
    27 Mar '22 21:58
    @contenchess said
    @Liljo

We can't go there and if they have the technology to come here it will be like Columbus and the Indians except this time we are the Indians.
    (I stole that line from the movie "Battleship" ...I think 🤔)

Anyways...
    If they come it will be for resources.
    Physical resources are easily had, yes, but what if aliens were interested in living resources and they are not so easily had? Bad news for the Africans sold into slavery....

Moreover, New World Indian populations were 95% wiped out by the introduction of small pox. Europeans did not intend this; it happened more or less accidentally, though sheer carelessness and rapacity to get at physical resources. There is no reason to think aliens advanced enough to manage interstellar travel would consider h. saps. to be anything worth preserving or that aliens would have anything corresponding to human morality. They could be highly intelligent locusts which blow through the galaxy consuming everything in their path and leaving waste products and devastation behind.
  12. Subscribervendaonline
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    28 Mar '22 13:11
    @moonbus said
    Physical resources are easily had, yes, but what if aliens were interested in living resources and they are not so easily had? Bad news for the Africans sold into slavery....

Moreover, New World Indian populations were 95% wiped out by the introduction of small pox. Europeans did not intend this; it happened more or less accidentally, though sheer carelessness and rapacity ...[text shortened]... ugh the galaxy consuming everything in their path and leaving waste products and devastation behind.
    "They could be highly intelligent locusts which blow through the galaxy consuming everything in their path and leaving waste products and devastation behind."
    Have you been watching episodes of Star trek TNG?
    A creature called the Chrystalline entity did just that.
  13. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    28 Mar '22 13:21
    @moonbus said
    Moreover, New World Indian populations were 95% wiped out by the introduction of small pox.
    That's very unlikely to happen between species coming from another planet, though. We cannot even catch most infectious diseases from fish, except parasite worms; even less from plants. From a creature on another evolutionary tree altogether? Forget it.
  14. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    28 Mar '22 18:25
    @moonbus said

Moreover, New World Indian populations were 95% wiped out by the introduction of small pox. Europeans did not intend this; it happened more or less accidentally, though sheer carelessness and rapacity ...[text shortened]... ugh the galaxy consuming everything in their path and leaving waste products and devastation behind.
    Intelligence may be a road to a potential solution. I'm more worried about the locusts blowing through the galaxy consuming everything in their path which were operating on pure bug-like instincts and reflexes.
  15. Joined
    28 Feb '16
    Moves
    29 Mar '22 16:26
    @wildgrass said
    Intelligence may be a road to a potential solution. I'm more worried about the locusts blowing through the galaxy consuming everything in their path which were operating on pure bug-like instincts and reflexes.
    ....makes me wonder....just how wild is that grass?

I am not worried about any alien invasions. I am, however, worried about the infestation of crabgrass in my lawn this spring.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree