Riddles

Riddles

Posers and Puzzles

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s

Moves
23 Mar 10

ill give riddles answer it correctly for another riddle

A man went on a trip with a fox, a goose, and a sack of corn. He came upon a stream which he had to cross and found a tiny boat to use to cross the stream. He could only take himself and one other - the fox, the goose, or the corn - at a time. He could not leave the fox alone with the goose or the goose alone with the corn. How does he get all safely over the stream?

P
Bananarama

False berry

Moves
23 Mar 10
1 edit

Originally posted by sloppyb

A man went on a trip with a fox, a goose, and a sack of corn. He came upon a stream which he had to cross and found a tiny boat to use to cross the stream. He could only take himself and one other - the fox, the goose, or the corn - at a time. He could not leave the fox alone with the goose or the goose alone with the corn. How does he get all safely over the stream?
For this answer, I'll introduce the following notation:

(F,C) M,G --> ( )

where the first set of brackets represent one side of the stream, the items between the sets of brackets represent the boat, the second set of brackets represent the second side of the stream, the arrow represents the direction of travel, and the following abbreviations are used:

F = fox
G = goose
C = corn
M = man

The solution is as follows:

1. (F,G,C,M) __ ( )
2. (F,C) M,G --> ( )
3. (F,C) <-- M (G)
4. (C) M,F --> (G)
5. (C) <-- M,G (F)
6. (G) M,C --> (F)
7. (G) <-- M (F,C)
8. ( ) M,G --> (F,C)
9. ( ) __ (M,F,G,C)

Moves
24 Mar 10

Originally posted by PBE6
For this answer, I'll introduce the following notation:

(F,C) M,G --> ( )

where the first set of brackets represent one side of the stream, the items between the sets of brackets represent the boat, the second set of brackets represent the second side of the stream, the arrow represents the direction of travel, and the following abbreviations are used:
...[text shortened]... <-- M,G (F)
6. (G) M,C --> (F)
7. (G) <-- M (F,C)
8. ( ) M,G --> (F,C)
9. ( ) __ (M,F,G,C)
There is one other answer which can be generated by swapping every F for C and vice-versa.

1. (C,G,F,M) __ ( )
2. (C,F) M,G --> ( )
3. (C,F) <-- M (G)
4. (F) M,C --> (G)
5. (F) <-- M,G (C)
6. (G) M,F --> (C)
7. (G) <-- M (C,F)
8. ( ) M,G --> (C,F)
9. ( ) __ (M,C,G,F)

T

ALG

Moves
24 Mar 10

Originally posted by sloppyb

Well, ehm, I gues:
He shoud take the goose with him, since only the fox and the corn are an allowed pair. Then he goes back alone.
Crossing again, he takes either the corn or the fox. Now he must take back the goose. After this, he brings either the corn or the fox, depending on his other choice, to the other side. Now he must cross it again to take to goose with him.

DB
The Silver Hammer

Moves
07 Apr 10
1 edit

I didn't answer the first riddle, but since no one else is posting a new one, I'll just post one that I heard several years ago.

Riddle: What am I?

I have a broad blade and a handle of wood.
I bring people down, for bad or for good.
The things I create are made out of air,
Replacing the elements previously there.

BK

Moves
12 Apr 10

um...axe?

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
12 Apr 10

PBE6 and the Banana King at once!

http://www.hello-cthulhu.com/?date=2004-09-28

BK

Moves
12 Apr 10

Oh Ya!!

um a Silver Hammer? lol

Moves
12 Apr 10

Originally posted by Banana King
um...axe?
I think that's it, an axe, which is chopping down trees, creating holes.

Moves
12 Apr 10

A basket has 6 eggs in, 6 people each take one egg, but the basket still has one egg in, how is this?

BK

Moves
12 Apr 10

5 guys takean egg outta d basket but the last guy takes the basket with the egg still in it

Moves
13 Apr 10

Originally posted by Banana King
5 guys takean egg outta d basket but the last guy takes the basket with the egg still in it
Nice one 🙂

BK

Moves
13 Apr 10

WOO!

Moves
14 Apr 10

Try this one:

A lady says that her husband was murdered, by her sister. The judge says, "I've never seen a more strange case. Though her guilt is proven, this lady cannot be punished."

Why is that?

Standard rules, questions are allowed, please don't spoil it if you've seen it before

T

ALG

Moves
14 Apr 10

Originally posted by iamatiger
Try this one:

A lady says that her husband was murdered, by her sister. The judge says, "I've never seen a more strange case. Though her guilt is proven, this lady cannot be punished."

Why is that?

Standard rules, questions are allowed, please don't spoil it if you've seen it before
The sister's guilt is proven, so the lady who says her own husband was murdered, cannot be punished.