Orbit around a square planet.

Orbit around a square planet.

Posers and Puzzles

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
07 Sep 07

A thousand years from now, we have interstellar spacecraft, a team finds an artifact the size of a planet but cube-shaped, 15,000 Km across one face and it masses the same as the earth, 6 E24 Kg.
There is no atmosphere. What is the lowest orbit you can safely acheive around such an object? It is homogenous density wise. What is the shape of the orbit?

n

Moves
08 Sep 07

It's the BORG! Run away!

Moves
08 Sep 07

The 15k Km face? Is that just its lengths or from corner to corner diagonally?

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
08 Sep 07

Originally posted by jatrius
The 15k Km face? Is that just its lengths or from corner to corner diagonally?
Each square side is 15,000 Km, about the size of the earth in diameter. So the diagonal would be 15K * Square root of 3 = 25,980 Km and change.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
11 Sep 07

Nobody has tackled this (and I will not either) but I suspect there is no stable orbit.

At enough distance a standard elliptical orbit would do the job (the bigger the orbit the longer it would be OK)

DMG

Moves
12 Sep 07

The diameter of the earth in kilometers is actually 12,756😛

h

at the centre

Moves
14 Sep 07

Originally posted by sonhouse
A thousand years from now, we have interstellar spacecraft, a team finds an artifact the size of a planet but cube-shaped, 15,000 Km across one face and it masses the same as the earth, 6 E24 Kg.
There is no atmosphere. What is the lowest orbit you can safely acheive around such an object? It is homogenous density wise. What is the shape of the orbit?
This is unsolvable analytically. It can only be solved numerically by using a computer program using some numerical methods. Hence it is a boring puzzle. Not worth even attempting..

P
Bananarama

False berry

Moves
14 Sep 07

Originally posted by howzzat
This is unsolvable analytically. It can only be solved numerically by using a computer program using some numerical methods. Hence it is a boring puzzle. Not worth even attempting..
Shyaddup... 😠

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
14 Sep 07
2 edits

the lowest orbit is just above zero 🙂 , or h_lowest = sqrt( 7500^2 + 7500^2 ) = 10 607km from the center of the cube, and the shape of the orbit is a superellipse I believe.

u
The So Fist

Voice of Reason

Moves
14 Sep 07
3 edits

If you put your pencil down and traced the outside of this shape it would look like this....

\ /
.|
/ \

except the corners would be rounded (sorry best I could do for a drawing on here

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
15 Sep 07

Each square side is 15,000 Km, about the size of the earth in diameter. So the diagonal would be 15K * Square root of 3 = 25,980 Km and change.
If I'm following along, this would make this 'artifact' less dense than the earth, no?

z
Mouth for war

Burlington, KY

Moves
16 Sep 07

Originally posted by nakazanie
It's the BORG! Run away!
And to think, I thought I was clever for being about to make that post until I read yours. Talk about your all time backfires.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
16 Sep 07

Originally posted by Suzianne
If I'm following along, this would make this 'artifact' less dense than the earth, no?
There's no way to determine that from the information given.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
16 Sep 07

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
There's no way to determine that from the information given.
We know the mass of the cube and can work out the volume and therefore the density. And can compare that to the Earth.

Thats if you can be bothered .. I can't!

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
16 Sep 07

Originally posted by wolfgang59
We know the mass of the cube and can work out the volume and therefore the density. And can compare that to the Earth.

Thats if you can be bothered .. I can't!
Oh, sorry, didn't notice that the mass was given.