Minus Apples

Minus Apples

Posers and Puzzles

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s
Granny

Parts Unknown

Moves
29 Oct 07

I go to an apple store and order minus five apples. The store owner hands me a bag of something and i go home. I open the bag and dump out the contents. What comes out of the bag? If it's nothing, shouldn't the apple guy have to refund my money or should he have paid ME for the minus apples, and why didn't i order 100 minus apples thereby making it a capitalist's dream?

Granny

d

Moves
29 Oct 07

He should have paid you, but you lost five apples in the process...

F

Moves
29 Oct 07

A number of apples is always positive. There exists no such thing as negative amount of apples, not even zero apples.

Any attempt ot use negative amount of apples is beyond the real world and should be treated as abstract mathematics.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
29 Oct 07

Originally posted by FabianFnas
A number of apples is always positive. There exists no such thing as negative amount of apples, not even zero apples.

Any attempt ot use negative amount of apples is beyond the real world and should be treated as abstract mathematics.
Fabian PLEASE get in touch with my bank .. they tell me I have banked a negative amount of money with them!!

F

Moves
29 Oct 07

Originally posted by wolfgang59
Fabian PLEASE get in touch with my bank .. they tell me I have banked a negative amount of money with them!!
Highly abstract, negative coins.

In fact, it was the bank people once who invented negative numbers, only to deal with loaned money. In Venezia at the 15th centuray, I think.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
30 Oct 07
2 edits

Originally posted by smw6869
I go to an apple store and order minus five apples. The store owner hands me a bag of something and i go home. I open the bag and dump out the contents. What comes out of the bag? If it's nothing, shouldn't the apple guy have to refund my money or should he have paid ME for the minus apples, and why didn't i order 100 minus apples thereby making it a capitalist's dream?

Granny
It's a bag of money.

No - it's empty. He's waiting for you to bring him the apples. The bag is so you can bring the apples back with you.

T
Kupikupopo!

Out of my mind

Moves
30 Oct 07

The minus sign is usually used to indicate a direction opposite to the normal one.

When you buy apples, the apples go from the store to you and the money form you to the store.

Buying negative apples would indicate apples going from you to the store and the money from the store to you. In other words, selling apples.

Bank people inventing negative numbers? Possible, but I think it more likely that mathematicians needed negative to get inverses under addition.

F

Moves
30 Oct 07

Originally posted by TheMaster37
Bank people inventing negative numbers? Possible, but I think it more likely that mathematicians needed negative to get inverses under addition.
From the beginning not even the mathematicians didn't like negative numbers. Some didn't even accept the existence of them. They thought of negative numbers as positive with a certain property only. "Negative number of apples? Rubbish!"

Even the bankers and economists didn't like negative numbers, therefore we have something, even today, that is called 'double Italian book-keeping. Instead of counting with negative numbers they summed the positive amounts separately and called it debit, and summed the negative amounts and called it credit. No need for the minus sign. Then debit and credit should be equal, if not ... you know.

The invention of negative numbers is a great leap forward, beginning with the economists and bankers, followed by mathematicians who gave a mathematical study of them.

m

Moves
30 Oct 07

Originally posted by TheMaster37
That level of formality in maths wasn't invented until later.

Although according to Wikipedia, the concept of negative numbers had existed quite a long time in the East before western bankers started using them. Again, often for representing debts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negative_numbers

m

Moves
30 Oct 07

Originally posted by mtthw
That level of formality in maths wasn't required until later.

Although according to Wikipedia, the concept of negative numbers had existed quite a long time in the East before western bankers started using them. Again, often for representing debts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negative_numbers

s
Granny

Parts Unknown

Moves
30 Oct 07

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
It's a bag of money.

No - it's empty. He's waiting for you to bring him the apples. The bag is so you can bring the apples back with you.
Let's get down to the nitty gritty. Can Granny, somehow, use this negative stuff to screw the store owner and get Free money for myself. Then i wouldn't have to work. Oh! isn't that what bankers do every day?

Granny

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
02 Nov 07

Let's get down to the nitty gritty. Can Granny, somehow, use this negative stuff to screw the store owner and get Free money for myself. Then i wouldn't have to work. Oh! isn't that what bankers do every day?

Granny
Sort of. It's called not paying your credit card bill.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
02 Nov 07

Granny
So you sold him 5 apples and he put the moolah in the bag, what's the big deal about that? You didn't order a minus 100 apples because you only had 5 total.

F

Moves
02 Nov 07

Granny
How much did you pay for these minus five apples? Minus 2 dollars?

s
Granny

Parts Unknown

Moves
02 Nov 07

Originally posted by sonhouse
So you sold him 5 apples and he put the moolah in the bag, what's the big deal about that? You didn't order a minus 100 apples because you only had 5 total.
The problem is that i didn't have 5 apples to sell.

G.