Animal, Vegetable, Mineral

Animal, Vegetable, Mineral

Posers and Puzzles

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Read a book!

Moves
17 Feb 18

Originally posted by @venda
8. Are you historic? I'm certainly old!!
You don't think the moon is historic, i.e., famous or important in history, significant, notable,
consequential, newsworthy, unforgettable, remarkable; celebrated, renowned or legendary? 😠

itiswhatitis

oLd ScHoOl

Moves
17 Feb 18

Originally posted by @js357
1. Are you mined (dug up for money) anywhere in the world? Yes
2. Are you an element. I am more than one element.
Are you bauxite?

Dave

S.Yorks.England

Moves
17 Feb 18

Originally posted by @handyandy
You don't think the moon is historic, i.e., famous or important in history, significant, notable,
consequential, newsworthy, unforgettable, remarkable; celebrated, renowned or legendary? 😠
I didn't say I wasn't historic ,but I've never heard the moon referred to as such but by the definitions you quote a suppose it is in a way.
I do know life on Earth couldn't have evolved as it has without the moons steadying influence on it's orbit.

Moves
17 Feb 18

Originally posted by @lemon-lime
Are you bauxite?
3. Are you bauxite? No.

Read a book!

Moves
17 Feb 18

Are you metallic?

Australia

Moves
17 Feb 18

Would I call you precious or semi-precious?

Dave

S.Yorks.England

Moves
18 Feb 18

Are you(or have been previously) mined in the U.K

Moves
18 Feb 18
4 edits

Are you metallic?
3. Are you bauxite? No.
4. Are you metallic? The chemists would say I am in part, a metal.but I do not look like a metal any more than silver nitrate looks like silver.
5. Would I call you precious or semi-precious? No
6. Are you (or have been previously) mined in the U.K. I find no record of such mining.

Read a book!

Moves
18 Feb 18

Is one of your elements uranium?

Moves
18 Feb 18

Is one of your elements uranium?
18 Feb '18 08:44 / 4 edits

Are you metallic?

3. Are you bauxite? No.
4. Are you metallic? The chemists would say I am in part, a metal.but I do not look like a metal any more than silver nitrate looks like silver.
5. Would I call you precious or semi-precious? No
6. Are you (or have been previously) mined in the U.K. I find no record of such mining.
7. Is one of your elements uranium?I happen to know that a trace amount of uranium is commonly found in me, but it's not part of my chemical formula and I am not mined for it.

Dave

S.Yorks.England

Moves
18 Feb 18

Are you salt

Moves
18 Feb 18
1 edit

Originally posted by @venda
Are you salt
3. Are you bauxite? No.
5. Would I call you precious or semi-precious? No. Edit: At least one site says specimens of my general class are sometimes treated as gemstones, but the vast tonnage that is mined annually is not even considered for this possibility.
7. Is one of your elements uranium?I happen to know that a trace amount of uranium is commonly found in me, but it's not part of my chemical formula and I am not mined for it.
8. Are you salt. I am not table salt and am more likely treated as a mineral by chemists.

See edit for #5.

Australia

Moves
18 Feb 18

Are you found in what is loosely called "mineral sands" as listed in Wikipedia?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavy_mineral_sands_ore_deposits

Moves
19 Feb 18
5 edits

Originally posted by @kewpie
Are you found in what is loosely called "mineral sands" as listed in Wikipedia?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavy_mineral_sands_ore_deposits
3. Are you bauxite? No.
5. Would I call you precious or semi-precious? No. Edit: At least one site says specimens of my general class are sometimes treated as gemstones, but the vast tonnage that is mined annually is not even considered for this possibility.
7. Is one of your elements uranium?I happen to know that a trace amount of uranium is commonly found in me, but it's not part of my chemical formula and I am not mined for it. Edit: in some cases, nontrivial amounts of U isotopes are present.
8. Are you salt. I am not table salt and am more likely treated as a mineral by chemists.
9. Are you found in what is loosely called "mineral sands" as listed in Wikipedia?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavy_mineral_sands_ore_deposits No, I find no mention of me or the product of processing me. Also, my specific gravity is not so great as to make me stand out from the other bits of minerals I hang around with, enough to act like so called mineral sands, which are placer deposits, which type of deposit I am not, at present.
See another edit, this time to #7.

Australia

Moves
19 Feb 18

Are you a phosphate compound?