Women and chess

Women and chess

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
27 Nov 08

Originally posted by ChronicLeaky
What question are you trying to answer?
I was just musing about the abuse of interpretations in statistics. Call it professional defect. It just pains me to see people call X as evidence for Y against Z, when it is not.

If you want me to explicitly answer your question, then I would say: Can representation be used as evidence for or against the existence of biological differences?

My answer would be: No, because the presence of cultural factors creates a problem of identification.

N

The sky

Moves
09 Dec 08

Right now, the youngest GM in the world is a girl: http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=5062
Go, Hou Yifan, go!

M

Moves
09 Dec 08

Originally posted by Nordlys
Right now, the youngest GM in the world is a girl: http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=5062
Go, Hou Yifan, go!
.... and nearly became worldchampion (women) in the same year!

She is the youngest right now, and the youngest female ever, but she wasn't the youngest ever to get that title. Karjakin was only 12, Carlsen 13.

F

Moves
09 Dec 08

Originally posted by Mephisto2
.... and nearly became worldchampion (women) in the same year!

She is the youngest right now, and the youngest female ever, but she wasn't the youngest ever to get that title. Karjakin was only 12, Carlsen 13.
She is good enough for me. There is some girl power in chess too. It comforts me.

In my club there are some girl powers too. They kick a$$es. And I love them for it. Some boys, even if they are beyond 18, need to be kicked in their a$$es.

N

The sky

Moves
09 Dec 08

Originally posted by Mephisto2
I know, that's why I said "right now". As the article shows, 10 people got the title at an earlier age than her.

v

Moves
09 Dec 08

anyway with this inflation these records will be every year lower and lower...
in this way at some point I hope to get my FM title without the need of improving my strength 🙂

D

Moves
18 Dec 08

J

Moves
18 Dec 08

Originally posted by vipiu
You don't suppose we'll be seeing an abortion playing chess one day, do
you? Because I would have to mentally, seriously prepare for that image. 😛

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
18 Dec 08

Originally posted by vipiu
in this way at some point I hope to get my FM title without the need of improving my strength 🙂
It's not just inflation, though...it's computers [databases + very strong training partners + no day job = uber-strong child prodigies].

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
18 Dec 08

Originally posted by Nordlys
Go, Hou Yifan, go!
Amazing that Bobby Fischer is still #20 on the list despite learning chess before the computer age.

l

Moves
26 Dec 08

Some of the knee-jerk responses to the OP's original question surprised me. Isn't it possible that brains may be wired differently between genders, which affects aptitude at chess in a subtle manner? Or hormones may influence chess playing in an indirect fashion? Perhaps women tend to be less apt at visualisation, while men would have a tendency to play more aggressive lines?

There will always be individual variation within genders, but that doesn't mean that trends and predispositions don't exist across an entire gender.

M

Moves
26 Dec 08

There are two things:
- facts: undoubtedly, less women play chess.
- their interpretation: nothing allows us to say that this is due to biological differences (hierarchies).
this is much more likely the result of the attribution of specific roles to men and women. Chess has to do with struggle, fight, logic, etc; so many things traditionnally (and arbitrarily) attributed to men.

l

Moves
26 Dec 08
1 edit

Macpo:

There are two things:
- facts: undoubtedly, less women play chess.

Less women play chess, which means there is a smaller pool of talent to draw from. I understand this argument, but I don't see why it's relevant. The question isn't "Why do all the current chess players tend to be men", but "Do you think that women can make as good chess players as men?"

It's a good question, and I don't see why people need to act all offended. Is political correctness so rife that we can't engage in genuine enquiry?

- their interpretation: nothing allows us to say that this is due to biological differences (hierarchies).

Interpret this fact:
http://alcalc.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/40/3/201

Men typically excel in spatially oriented tasks, whereas women usually have a better episodic memory (Yonker et al., 2003). Although social and cultural explanations for the observed sex differences have been postulated, evidence also suggests that fluctuating sex hormone levels could have an impact (Yonker et al., 2003).

in the context of playing chess. Does chess involve spatial orientation? Does it involve episodic memory? I would say it does, although I'm just an amateur, so who knows? But hell, that's just two trends of behavioural difference between men and women.

d

Moves
10 Sep 09

Originally posted by Tsekos the punk
Do you think that women can make as good chess players as men?

What's your opinion?
My theory is that women aren't as good as playing chess as men.

h

Moves
10 Sep 09
1 edit

Originally posted by daniel58
My theory is that women aren't as good as playing chess as men.
Certainly not as good as you or me, can't be