Women and chess

Women and chess

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

D

Moves
13 Nov 08

E

Moves
13 Nov 08
1 edit

Originally posted by FabianFnas
I'm happy to live in a country with th fifth best woman in the world: Pia Cramling. She is 6th best in Sweden, men included. She has currently a ELO rating of 2550 and still progressing. During October -08 she played 23 games, she's very active.

She is my favorite, not only because she is a good player, but because she doesn't play the easy way: She pl ...[text shortened]... he plays among men.

Therefore, I'm confident that women are as good chess players as men.
If she's the best woman in the world and is only the 6th best chess player in Sweden, then overall she would not rank all that high. There seems to be a glass ceiling for women in chess.

Sure, most men never make it that high either, but everyone above a certain level is a man. Anyone know the highest rating a woman has ever achieved in the world of chess?

Edit:

Did a google search and that number seems to be 2800. Polgar got close. Was her rating purely among the men's chess or did she get rating points with women's chess too?

D

Moves
13 Nov 08

D

Moves
13 Nov 08

E

Moves
13 Nov 08

As long as women play a majority of their games with Men, then there's no real danger of over inflated ratings, but if a player gets most of her points from the women's only games, then there is an issue.

If there is no difference between Men and Women, then do away with the Women's only games all together.

F

Moves
13 Nov 08

Originally posted by Eladar
If there is no difference between Men and Women, then do away with the Women's only games all together.
Yes, agree totally. As they have done already in the game of Bridge.

t
True X X Xian

The Lord's Army

Moves
13 Nov 08

Originally posted by Eladar
If she's the best woman in the world and is only the 6th best chess player in Sweden, then overall she would not rank all that high. There seems to be a glass ceiling for women in chess.

Sure, most men never make it that high either, but everyone above a certain level is a man. Anyone know the highest rating a woman has ever achieved in the world of ch ...[text shortened]... her rating purely among the men's chess or did she get rating points with women's chess too?
Check out this Judit biography/timeline. Start from the bottom and move up.

http://www.controltheweb.com/polgar/history.htm

Disclaimer: This site is not the final authority on Judit Polgar. For all knowledge Polgar, see http://www.redhotpawn.com/profile/playerprofile.php?uid=369152

The BOSS

in my own mind.

Moves
13 Nov 08

Originally posted by telerion
[b]Check out this Judit biography/timeline. Start from the bottom and move up.
Wow, that's an impressive list of achievements. By any standard.

L

Moves
13 Nov 08

Originally posted by telerion
Disclaimer: This site is not the final authority on Judit Polgar. For all knowledge Polgar, see http://www.redhotpawn.com/profile/playerprofile.php?uid=369152
That's not being very nice to DramaQueen64. Er...I mean Duchess64.

Black Beastie

Scheveningen

Moves
13 Nov 08

Originally posted by LemonJello
That's not being very nice to DramaQueen64. Er...I mean Duchess64.
Oh you crafty LemonJello!

DramaQueen64 er… I mean Duchess64, wrote her posts clearly enough. She is not responsible for your lack of reading comprehension or for the absurd conclusions about her views that you have projected onto her.

By the way, this is a note to address the recent squabble between Telerion and Duchess64 and Thrajin, plus the more recent squabble between Lemonjello and Dutchess64, plus the next to come squabble between Palynka and Fabian, not to mention the squabble between LemonJello and this miserable black beetle.

It is obvious that Telerion made the first potential mistake in saying that Judit Polgar has always played in the NBA. Duchess64 corrected asap her initial statement however her observation has been met with apparently harsh comments, some of which appear to border on sexism. It is common to notice sexism between ladies afterall, as it is common to notice xenophobia displayed from northern lads against those filthy LatinoPortuGreeks.

Shame on anyone and particularly on you, LemonJello, for you are the one who deems it necessary to perpetuate what is starting to become a flame war. You should better let the matter drop now. Let it drop, OK?
Telerion made a mistake; Duchess64 corrected it, Telerion acknowledged her mistake and clarified his comment thanking en passant Thrajin for her support, whilst soon Fabian and Palynka will try to find a decent way to exterminate each other. Unfortunately Lady Nordlys is unable to stop the bloodshed.

Besides, this thread has gone way off topic.
😵

Ttp

Moves
13 Nov 08

I see that the thread that I started has attracted a lot of attention from people here.. there are many postsin this thread now, many of whom I did not have the time to read.

Anyway, I would like to raise another question.

Do you think that Judit Polgar ( the only woman on the world top level ) has the potential to win the world chess championship in the future?

I think that if something like this happened it would really be interesting news.

F

Moves
13 Nov 08
1 edit

Originally posted by Tsekos the punk

Do you think that Judit Polgar ( the only woman on the world top level ) has the potential to win the world chess champions he future?

I think that if something like this happened it would really be interesting news.
I cannot find any reason why she couldn't be. As any other chessplayer with the same rating progression.

If Polgar will be World Champion or not has nothing to do with her gender. Only her abilities. As anyone else.

But I rather think that Magnus Carlsen have better chance. I hope both will be WC, one after the other...

Black Beastie

Scheveningen

Moves
13 Nov 08

Originally posted by Tsekos the punk
I see that the thread that I started has attracted a lot of attention from people here.. there are many postsin this thread now, many of whom I did not have the time to read.

Do you think that Judit Polgar ( the only woman on the world top level ) has the potential to win the world chess champions ...[text shortened]... he future?

Sure; them lassies are able to burn down the house when bakin a cake 😵

Black Beastie

Scheveningen

Moves
13 Nov 08

Originally posted by FabianFnas
I cannot find any reason why she couldn't be. As any other chessplayer with the same rating progression.

If Polgar will be World Champion or not has nothing to do with her gender. Only her abilities. As anyone else.

But I rather think that Magnus Carlsen have better chance. I hope both will be WC, one after the other...
Hi FF dude🙂

F

Moves
13 Nov 08

Originally posted by black beetle
Hi FF dude🙂
Hi yourself, BB 🙂
Always nice to find friendly people here! Even if most are!