Wijk aan Zee

Wijk aan Zee

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

c

Moves
23 Jan 08

Originally posted by Northern Lad
Incredible to find such an amazing TN in such a fashionable line in current GM play. One has to assume that a large part of Topalov's analysis involved high-powered silicon assistance. However, these numbercrunching monsters still need considerable expert guidance. Interestingly enough Deep Junior played the normal 12.Nxd7 against Deep Fritz in a computer tourney last year, though that may of course have been part of the engine's book.
I think most credit, if not all, will be given to Topalov's second (whose name evades me right now, although I can look it up if anybody if deeply curious).

c

Moves
23 Jan 08

Originally posted by Tatarana Crocodilo
It's in Corus Tournament Site:

"The game itself was an impressive showing of the Topalov kitchen - the novelty of 12.Nxf7 (see diagram 1) was found by Toppy’s second, Ivan Cheparinov, and was well kept like fine wine for three years, for just such an occasion. When asked after the game, Ivan said that some specific lines were analyzed all the way to move 40(!)."
Oh, there's your answer!!

s

Moves
23 Jan 08

Originally posted by cmsMaster
I think most credit, if not all, will be given to Topalov's second (whose name evades me right now, although I can look it up if anybody if deeply curious).
Yes, that is one promising young lad.
First he refutes 1. e4 by playing
"The Sicilian handshake gambit declined"
And now he is shooting holes in a popular slav line.

s

Moves
23 Jan 08
1 edit

Very interesting round today, Carlsen is playing the Benko and Polgar uses the french defense (rubinstein variation) against Mamedyarov.
Sicilian Dragon lovers are also represented in Van de Wiel-Carlson and
Nijboer-Reinderman.

edit: In the "veteran" group Timman is using the Nxf7 line from yesterdays Topalov-Kramnik to try and get an advantage against Ljubojevic.

z

Moves
23 Jan 08

Originally posted by sannevssr
Very interesting round today, Carlsen is playing the Benko and Polgar uses the french defense (rubinstein variation) against Mamedyarov.
Sicilian Dragon lovers are also represented in Van de Wiel-Carlson and
Nijboer-Reinderman.

edit: In the "veteran" group Timman is using the Nxf7 line from yesterdays Topalov-Kramnik to try and get an advantage against Ljubojevic.
I daresay I wish I wasn't at work. Those sound like exciting games. I will most certainly have to review how Carlsen handles the Benko. Is white playing the 11. Rb1 line?

d

Moves
23 Jan 08

Originally posted by zebano
I daresay I wish I wasn't at work. Those sound like exciting games. I will most certainly have to review how Carlsen handles the Benko. Is white playing the 11. Rb1 line?
It's the fianchetto variation with 10. Rb1. Carlsen is playing some strange moves like centralising his rooks to prevent the central break rather than having them on the queen-side. I think white probably has the edge but that's based on my own feeling rather than GM analysis and fritz.

s

Moves
23 Jan 08
1 edit

Originally posted by zebano
Not a big expert of the benko myself though I do own his masterpiece biography written by him and Silman.

It's 10.Rb1 not sure if that is the line you were referring to.
I think Carlsen played a bit extravagant with 18. Rae8.
Let's see if King Loek can take advantage of that.

s

Moves
23 Jan 08

Originally posted by demonseed
It's the fianchetto variation with 10. Rb1. Carlsen is playing some strange moves like centralising his rooks to prevent the central break rather than having them on the queen-side. I think white probably has the edge but that's based on my own feeling rather than GM analysis and fritz.
Ah, you beat me to the punch, and I think you are quite right. On chessdom.com where they are doing live commentary they also tend to agree with you.

z

Moves
23 Jan 08

That's the one. b3 is also played. That has been the variation thats been killing the benko at the highest levels for about 2 years now if I remember my theory. the book I have suggests fighting it by redeploying the bishop from a6-c8-g5 but I haven't had great success with that. Actually so many people play 3. Nf3 that my benko hasn't seen any use in awhile. I guess I'll check out the game later.

d

Moves
23 Jan 08

Ah, you beat me to the punch, and I think you are quite right. On chessdom.com where they are doing live commentary they also tend to agree with you.
Ouch, Nb5 is a killer move. I thought Carlsen could exchange the knight but he would hang a piece! Looks like Carlsen is losing now.

s

Moves
23 Jan 08

Ouch, Nb5 is a killer move. I thought Carlsen could exchange the knight but he would hang a piece! Looks like Carlsen is losing now.
Indeed very nice , the pointe 20. ..Nxb5 21. axb5 Qxb5? 22.bxc5! is rather primitive but hard to cope with for black.

s

Moves
23 Jan 08

So after 20. ..Nxb5 21. axb5 Qb6 what is best for white?
maybe 21. b5?

d

Moves
23 Jan 08

Indeed very nice , the pointe 20. ..Nxb5 21. axb5 Qxb5? 22.bxc5! is rather primitive but hard to cope with for black.
Yes, what was his rationale for centralising the rooks? Did the GM analysis show anything?

s

Moves
23 Jan 08
1 edit

Yes, what was his rationale for centralising the rooks? Did the GM analysis show anything?
Guess he really wanted to get e6 in or something.
But it looks as if it has backfired a bit.
BamBam's score vs v. Wely is not that good anyway i think.
Im not sure who I should be rooting for: My fellow countryman or the big talent who still has a chance at one of the top places

d

Moves
23 Jan 08

So after 20. ..Nxb5 21. axb5 Qb6 what is best for white?
maybe 21. b5?
Do you mean 22. bxc5 since in the variation you suggest there is already a pawn on b5?