Wijk aan Zee

Wijk aan Zee

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
22 Jan 08
1 edit

Originally posted by Nordlys
Topalov - Kramnik 1-0
Yasser Seirawan is in complete awe about that game.
damn it! I forgot the games again! 😠

I just skimmed through the topalov vs kramnik game.

[Event "ICC"]
[Site "Internet Chess Club"]
[Date "2008.01.22"]
[Round "-"]
[White "*GM_Topalov"]
[Black "*GM_Kramnik"]
[Result "*"]
[WhiteElo "2780"]
[BlackElo "2799"]
[TimeControl "7200+0"]

1. d4 d5 2. c4 c6 3. Nf3 Nf6 4. Nc3 e6 5. Bg5 h6 6. Bh4 dxc4 7. e4 g5 8.
Bg3 b5 9. Be2 Bb7 10. O-O Nbd7 11. Ne5 Bg7 12. Nxf7 Kxf7 13. e5 Nd5 14. Ne4
Ke7 15. Nd6 Qb6 16. Bg4 Raf8 17. Qc2 Qxd4 18. Qg6 Qxg4 19. Qxg7+ Kd8 20.
Nxb7+ Kc8 21. a4 b4 22. Rac1 c3 23. bxc3 b3 24. c4 Rfg8 25. Nd6+ Kc7 26.
Qf7 Rf8 27. cxd5 Rxf7 28. Rxc6+ Kb8 29. Nxf7 Re8 30. Nd6 Rh8 31. Rc4 Qe2
32. dxe6 Nb6 33. Rb4 Ka8 34. e7 Nd5 35. Rxb3 Nxe7 36. Rfb1 Nd5 37. h3 h5
38. Nf7 Rc8 39. e6 a6 40. Nxg5 h4 41. Bd6 Rg8 42. R3b2 Qd3 43. e7 Nf6 44.
Be5 Nd7 45. Ne6 1-0

😲

ABC
Siachmat!

Porthmadog

Moves
22 Jan 08

What a great game by Topalov.

JoL
Curb Your Enthusiasm

London

Moves
22 Jan 08

Originally posted by wormwood
I just skimmed through the topalov vs kramnik game.
😲
You're not kidding.

There's going to be more than a few computers working on that one over night ... in Wijk as well as everywhere else.

I wonder how much of it was Topalov's pre-game analysis. Incredible to think that Kramnik, probably the best prepared player of the current day, can have his main opening against 1. d4 blown away with a piece sacrifice.

I find it hard to believe improvements won't be found but even so it's an amazing piece of work by Topalov.

I'm not a fan of Topalov's, and particularly not of his manager, but I have to take my hat off to him today.

m

Moves
22 Jan 08
1 edit

Originally posted by JonathanB of London
I wonder how much of it was Topalov's pre-game analysis. Incredible to think that Kramnik, probably the best prepared player of the current day, can have his main opening against 1. d4 blown away with a piece sacrifice.
A lot of it was pre-prepared - you can tell by looking at the timings. Several moves after the sac Topalov had still only used about 10 minutes.

Not that it wasn't still impressive.

In other news, Adams spoiled his perfect run of draws so far by picking up a win. Very careless.

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
22 Jan 08

You're not kidding.

There's going to be more than a few computers working on that one over night ... in Wijk as well as everywhere else.

I wonder how much of it was Topalov's pre-game analysis. Incredible to think that Kramnik, probably the best prepared player of the current day, can have his main opening against 1. d4 blown away with a p ...[text shortened]... palov's, and particularly not of his manager, but I have to take my hat off to him today.
I'm just blown away with the sac, I can't figure out why it works. it looks like great moves just fall into topalov's lap by chance after it, but obviously luck has nothing to with it. I hope they make it the game of the day on ICC...

JoL
Curb Your Enthusiasm

London

Moves
22 Jan 08

Originally posted by mtthw
A lot of it was pre-prepared - you can tell by looking at the timings. Several moves after the sac Topalov had still only used about 10 minutes.

Indeed - even more so I'd say.

Everybody had a chance to analyse this sacrifice but only Topalov (and team I suppose) have done so.

Incredible.

e

Moves
22 Jan 08
2 edits

You're not kidding.

I wonder how much of it was Topalov's pre-game analysis. Incredible to think that Kramnik, probably the best prepared player of the current day, can have his main opening against 1. d4 blown away with a p palov's, and particularly not of his manager, but I have to take my hat off to him today.
Yes, that was an incredible game. I don't know what is says of the Semi-Slav if White can actually sacrifice a piece for only a pawn while already being down a pawn and still be better. Ok, I know it's more complicated and hurts king safety a lot, but it's still rare. It's a loose position when Black tries to hold the pawn- at least at the start. In Mexico, the Semi-Slav was doing great and it seemed White wasn't getting anything. Now, White is finally making some inroads.

Here's the position after some almost forced moves in the Nxf7 variation:

Black to move

Material is equal except that White is down a WHOLE piece. This is really amazing and you guys have to see how the game continues. After Qxd4, White's initiative is just awesome.

m

Moves
22 Jan 08
1 edit

Originally posted by exigentsky
Yes, that was an incredible game. I don't know what is says of the Semi-Slav if White can actually sacrifice a piece for only a pawn while already being down a pawn and still be better. Ok, I know it's more complicated and hurts king safety a lot, but it's still rare. It's a very loose position when Black tries to hold the pawn. In Mexico, the Semi-Slav w ...[text shortened]... t and it seemed White wasn't getting anything. Now, White is finally making some inroads 😛
Well, we'll have to wait to see if white is better. Kramnik got mugged and failed to find the best moves (the initial comments I've seen reckon Qxd4 was the first mistake - it'll be interesting to see some serious analysis). The big test will be when it gets played against someone who's had a chance to prepare for it.

JoL
Curb Your Enthusiasm

London

Moves
22 Jan 08
1 edit

Originally posted by exigentsky
Material is equal except that White is down a WHOLE piece ....
That means material isn't equal doesn't it? ;-)

Anyway, have to agree with mtthw - the real test will be when (if?) it gets played again.

e

Moves
22 Jan 08
2 edits

Well, that's why I said "except".

Anyway, maybe White isn't better but I think it's probably equality even after moves like Rhg8. The exposed nature of Black's king suggests to me that at the very worst, White will get some perpetual later.

NL

Moves
22 Jan 08

Incredible to find such an amazing TN in such a fashionable line in current GM play. One has to assume that a large part of Topalov's analysis involved high-powered silicon assistance. However, these numbercrunching monsters still need considerable expert guidance. Interestingly enough Deep Junior played the normal 12.Nxd7 against Deep Fritz in a computer tourney last year, though that may of course have been part of the engine's book.

TC

Moves
22 Jan 08

It's in Corus Tournament Site:

"The game itself was an impressive showing of the Topalov kitchen - the novelty of 12.Nxf7 (see diagram 1) was found by Toppy’s second, Ivan Cheparinov, and was well kept like fine wine for three years, for just such an occasion. When asked after the game, Ivan said that some specific lines were analyzed all the way to move 40(!)."

s

Moves
23 Jan 08

I advice anyone who liked this game, to check out topalovs press conference and analysis on this game at www.chessvibes.com

c

Moves
23 Jan 08

I see you guys are already talking about today's absolutely brilliant Topalov-Kramnik game. Bravo to Topalov for playing the shocking 12.Nxf7 - and then to follow it up with superb play finding the one. GM John Fedorowicz covered the game today as ICC's Game of The Day, and it was just absolutely brilliant. I play the Semi-Slav from both sides, but I use a different variation as white, so this make create some new and interesting situations in my games as black. Fedorowicz pointed out that instead of Ke7 perhaps Kramnik should have tried Kg8 as a stronger defense, and I agree - I don't think that this 12.Nxf7 will bust this opening up for black, but I can see it becoming the new most popular line from the black side very soon.

c

Moves
23 Jan 08

Originally posted by mtthw

In other news, Adams spoiled his perfect run of draws so far by picking up a win. Very careless.
Federowicz mentioned that in the post game interview it was mentioned that Topalov's second had found the move and analyzed many of the variations out 40 moves!!