Wijk aan Zee

Wijk aan Zee

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

n
The Ever Living

Third Earth

Moves
19 Jan 08

I like Ivanchuk......he must be a nightmare to prepare for with his repertiore.

J

back in business

Moves
19 Jan 08

Topalov seems to be playing way under his skills, at least today he did. Wonder if he has already given up pursuing the 1st place.

I think in the end this will be a duel between Kramnik and Aronian. Anand is already bit too far away although he won today, and rest of the field are simply too weak to catch Kramnik/Aronian anymore. Carlsen has his chances too of course, but chances are that he loses against Kramnik, probably against Anand too.

e

Moves
19 Jan 08

Topalov often starts poorly but then starts winning a lot after he gets a feel for the tournament. Don't count him out just yet. 😉

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
20 Jan 08

short vs. cheparinov

1.e4 c5 1-0

wow, that was short! 😵

N

The sky

Moves
20 Jan 08

Originally posted by wormwood
short vs. cheparinov

1.e4 c5 1-0

wow, that was short! 😵
'At the start of round 8 of the Corus Chess Tournament, Ivan Cheparinov, top seed in Grandmaster Group B, lost his game against Nigel Short for refusing to shake the Brit's hand. According to the FIDE Handbook,

"Any player who does not shake hands with the opponent (or greets the opponent in a normal social manner in accordance with the conventional rules of their society) before the game starts in a FIDE tournament or during a FIDE match (and does not do it after being asked to do so by the arbiter) or deliberately insults his/her opponent or the officials of the event, will immediately and finally lose the relevant game."

Chief Arbiter Thomas van Beekum was a witness when Cheparinov refused Short's offer to shake hands twice and the Bulgarian's game was declared a loss as a result.'

How silly can it get?

M

Moves
20 Jan 08

Did they shake hands after the game too (not) 🙄

TC

Moves
20 Jan 08

Originally posted by Nordlys
'At the start of round 8 of the Corus Chess Tournament, Ivan Cheparinov, top seed in Grandmaster Group B, lost his game against Nigel Short for refusing to shake the Brit's hand. According to the FIDE Handbook,

"Any player who does not shake hands with the opponent (or greets the opponent in a normal social manner in accordance with the conventional rules ...[text shortened]... twice and the Bulgarian's game was declared a loss as a result.'

How silly can it get?
what? 😛

Why did he refuse to shake hands?

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
20 Jan 08

Originally posted by Tatarana Crocodilo
what? 😛

Why did he refuse to shake hands?
cheparinov tried to psych short, but failed miserably.

M

Moves
20 Jan 08

Short was one of the players to put Topalov and his manager, Danailov under suspicion of cheating during the San Luis worldchampionship tournament. He also took position against Topalov concerning the Elista 'toiletgate' debate (WC match between Kramnik and Topalov where Danailov/Topaloc claimed that Kramnik was cheating). Cheparinov is Topalov's second.

N

The sky

Moves
20 Jan 08

Originally posted by wormwood
cheparinov tried to psych short, but failed miserably.
It may not be over yet...

http://www.chessdom.com/corus-chess-2008/short-cheparinov-live

IMHO they were both behaving childishly.

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
20 Jan 08

Originally posted by Nordlys
It may not be over yet...

http://www.chessdom.com/corus-chess-2008/short-cheparinov-live

IMHO they were both behaving childishly.
well, I would've just shrugged and be pleased my opponent was nervous enough to waste his time & focus on mind games. just like I smile when people try to insult me after they lose a blitz game. them losing their nerve is a mental win for me. - but I guess if short felt his calm shaken, he had quite a good reason to call the TD.

N

The sky

Moves
20 Jan 08
1 edit

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=4397

Edit: And

m

Moves
20 Jan 08

You've got to laugh. Sometimes GMs have a staggering capacity for being childish.

N

The sky

Moves
20 Jan 08

Magnus is still in the lead, even though his game was a bit disappointing - today would have been his best chance for another win, but it looked drawish most of the time and ended in a draw. Kramnik and Aronian are still in shared second place, half a point behind. Anand won against Topalov.

I wonder if Topalov and Kramnik will shake hands on Tuesday...?

i

Moves
20 Jan 08

1.e4 c5 1-0!
wow, what a TN!!
this is going to change the way we think about chess openings! 😛