Topalov v. Kramnik

Topalov v. Kramnik

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

l

London

Moves
26 Sep 06

Originally posted by alexstclaire
game three ended in a draw, according to benjamin, kramnick was much better but squandered it and had to take a perpetual check not to lose.....
He ran into time trouble. Positionally, I don't think he was losing; but his clock was running out.

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
26 Sep 06

Bet get ready for the other 9 draws coming. I'm telling ya!

Draw 1 has already happened.

o

Moves
26 Sep 06

Well draw one could have been win 3 but kramnik was low on time and went for the draw.

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
26 Sep 06

Originally posted by omulcusobolani
Well draw one could have been win 3 but kramnik was low on time and went for the draw.
You want to play that game?

Well it should haven't been 2-0 because Topolav ________.

a

cavanaugh park

Moves
26 Sep 06

Originally posted by lucifershammer
He ran into time trouble. Positionally, I don't think he was losing; but his clock was running out.
i dont know what your talking about, honestly.....
if it was not a draw then hes down a rook so his position is obviously losing without a draw, when he played rb3 that was not good because it allowed f5 and likely a draw, so again i dont know what youre saying, we all know hes not losing because it was a draw so i mean i dont know what your saying, enlighten us or just me, maybe im dumb

W
Angler

River City

Moves
26 Sep 06

Originally posted by alexstclaire
i dont know what your talking about, honestly.....
if it was not a draw then hes down a rook so his position is obviously losing without a draw,
The rook would still be on the board if Kramnik had not sacrificed it to force a draw. Kramnik's best winning chances, however, had been squandered earlier in the game, possibly when he missed Ne4!

T

London

Moves
26 Sep 06

Originally posted by Wulebgr
Kramnik's best winning chances, however, had been squandered earlier in the game, possibly when he missed Ne4!
Ne4 was very strong, I reckon Kramnik saw it but decided not to risk it, due to the match situation - he took a lot of clock time over the moves around that period after all.

Eight more draws to go?

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
26 Sep 06
1 edit

Originally posted by TommyC
Ne4 was very strong, I reckon Kramnik saw it but decided not to risk it, due to the match situation - he took a lot of clock time over the moves around that period after all.

Eight more draws to go?
There's been three games: two have had decisive results and one was a rather interesting and well played draw. If anything it seems to me Kramnik had a slight advantage with a protected passed d-pawn opposed by Black's doubled a-pawns but under extreme time pressure decided to take the perpetual IF Topalov allowed it. I'm getting a little sick of this "Kramnik only plays for a draw" crap; maybe people should look at the actual games. It takes two players to make a draw and I see no evidence at all that Kramnik didn't play for a win except when he ran up against a short clock and then he made the rational choice that any GM would make under similar circumstances.

EDIT: As for I assume 16 Ne4, it seems like either Ne5 or Be7 is an adequate response. Kramnik's Bg5 seems more logical: developing a piece, connecting the rooks and forcing the exchange of Black's well placed dark squared bishop.

o

Moves
26 Sep 06

I think people don't understand kramniks play and say boring he's not attacking he must be playing for a draw.

Hinesville, GA

Moves
26 Sep 06

Originally posted by omulcusobolani
I think people don't understand kramniks play and say boring he's not attacking he must be playing for a draw.
Topalov hasn't lost his fighting spirit! It's not over yet! You can count on that!

a

cavanaugh park

Moves
26 Sep 06

I want Topa to win very much, and i sure hope he makes a comeback🙂!!

Jew.

Moves
27 Sep 06

Moves
27 Sep 06

If Kramwad wins im going to cry 🙁

Topalov is a much better ambassador for chess, although whoever wins will be over shadowed by Kasparov for years to come, I suspect if you asked the none chess playing world (foo's) who the chess World Champion is 70%+ would say Kasparov. Whoever wins the WC is going to have to stamp themselves on the game of chess in a big big way to get outside of that shadow.......I just dont feel that Kramnik could do that in the same way Topalov might.

Although I guess if FIDE keeps its act together and hosts the regular WC tournament that it wont matter too much.

Moves
27 Sep 06

Kramnik's got a better name, plus he's Russian, that's why I want him to win.

R

Moves
27 Sep 06

Originally posted by Wulebgr
Ever since he was crowned, Topolov's reign has given the FIDE championship system something it never earned and does not deserve: legitimacy. His victory will be understood by many as vindication of their illegitimate run of champions: Karpov, Khalifman, Anand, Ponomariov, Kasimdzhinov. Make no mistake, the FIDE leaders do not believe that Topolov is the cha ...[text shortened]... at classical time controls retains its much deserved supremacy as chess's most notable venue.
I agree, Fide's championship tournament system sucks and I do not recognize any of their pretrenders as champions.
Champions must be decided by match play!