Topalov v. Kramnik

Topalov v. Kramnik

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T

London

Moves
25 Sep 06

Originally posted by !~TONY~!
I am definitely rooting for Topalov, but I'm not really all that disapointed with what's going on so far. Obviously 2-0 is a large lead, and it's unlikely that Topalov can come back from this, the first game was completely drawn and he was completely crushing Kramnik in the second game. Another impressive thing to note is that Topalov was able to get the ki ...[text shortened]... ven faster. No one likes a blowout! At the very least we've had some exciting chess so far!
I pretty much agree. However, Topalov I don't think is that great at tactical calculation - he is more intuitive - and accuracy in short lines has now let him down two games in a row. That's the part of his game he needs to work on. If he doesn't, the match could soon become a whitewash, with Topalov defeated time and again on his own territory.

Btw, Kramnik seems to have underestimated his opponent's active and then attacking chances in the two games so far. This is a good sign for Topalov. Kramnik did the same in that catastrophic Marshall loss v Leko in their match, maybe that's his weak spot.

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
25 Sep 06

Originally posted by no1marauder
What a terrible loss for Topalov! He had a winning attack and missed several chances. I can't see how when he analyzes this game it will do anything but severely shake his confidence. Again Kramnik's technique in the end game is impeccable; it seems that if Topalov is to win any games, he will have to do it with a successful middle game attack.
I doubt it'll have much effect on his confidence, as he was doing well in the first and even crushing in the second game. but of course, if he keeps blundering, sooner of later it will have an effect.

btw, for those who had crashes on paychess: fics had no problems, except relay clocks took some time to update the additional time...

W
Angler

River City

Moves
25 Sep 06

Originally posted by wormwood
btw, for those who had crashes on paychess: fics had no problems, except relay clocks took some time to update the additional time...
Which GM was providing commentary on FICS?

o

Moves
25 Sep 06

There wasn't any gm commentary on fics but most people there listened to larry christiansen that did the commentary for WCN. It wasn't as good as yasser's but it was free.I had a crash while watching on playchess but during that crash i coudn't log on to fics either, it was short and both servers were back on in 1-2 minutes.

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
25 Sep 06
1 edit

Originally posted by Wulebgr
Which GM was providing commentary on FICS?
no GM commentary on fics, but I listened to the world chess network audio stream, with larry david (I think?) yesterday and irina krush the day before. irina was, and I kid you not, EATING during the commentary! 😀 so the quality is so and so, but it's still better than nothing...

edit: oh right, larry christiansen...

c

Moves
25 Sep 06
1 edit

When all thought Kramnik was losing his form, the guy has bouced back by walloping Topalov in 1st and 2nd games of the World Chess Championships in Elista, Russia. I like his Capablanca kind of stlye. Classical opening, nothing very spectacular. Go Kramnik Go!!

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
25 Sep 06

This is my prediction about the rest of the games:

10 games left I believe and they will all be drawn.

Kramnik's skill. Is anyone better them him at this? Now that he has his lead 2-0 why risk anything?

I'm suprised it's 2-0, I though Topolav would win it but now i'm thinking Kramnik will shut him down and hold him to a draw in all 10 games.

o

Moves
25 Sep 06

I don't think he'll be able to easily draw the rest of the games. In the second game i think he was playing for the draw (beeing black and already having won a game) but topa got the upper hand and then slipped dropping the game.I hope the rest of the games will be as interesting as the first two.

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
25 Sep 06

Originally posted by omulcusobolani
I don't think he'll be able to easily draw the rest of the games. In the second game i think he was playing for the draw (beeing black and already having won a game) but topa got the upper hand and then slipped dropping the game.I hope the rest of the games will be as interesting as the first two.
I haven't seen either game but I doubt it. I know Topolav is a fighter and doesn't like short draws so things might be different this time but Kramnik has skills in drawing.

One thing I will always remember is the following which I heard someone mention during a Leko vs Super GM last year. It was a strong tourney, Leko, Anand, etc...one of the really big ones like San Luis or something.

Leko had a tough position and could have lost. His next move came after a long wait and everyone was talking and someone said:

Leko is on the phone with Kramnik getting DRAWING advice!!!

It all makes sense, why people call Kramnik = Drawmnik 🙂

Nothing against the guy though 🙂

b

Hainesport, NJ, USA

Moves
25 Sep 06

Kramnik is winning, but Topa is making the games interesting. The first game was a draw, but he chose to go for the win. The second game he was winning, but make some inaccurate moves at the end and lost. I don't think Topa is going to change his style; he's going to play for a win every time unless there's absolutely nothing on the board. Kramnik is an excellent defensive player. If Topa makes him fight every game, he might grind Kramnik down. Remember K is a little older and has had some physical issues lately. So, even tho K is winning the battles in the beginning, he might wear down and lose the war.

f
Quack Quack Quack !

Chesstralia

Moves
25 Sep 06
1 edit

this whole scenario reminds me of Kasparov v Karpov ...

radical wildman v solid giant

the radical goes nuts, sufferring early losses impailing himself against the impenetrabe fortress.

then the wildman learns some new tricks at this new higher level of play ... and slowly slowly develops a deeper strategy ...

gaining an equalizing vistory ...

the slugfest continues ... each insisting the opponent focuses against their attacks, like heavyweight boxers boom boom boom, with no real release.

then the match is called a draw because the audience has become disgusted at the overwhelming importance of stamina, and the players are clearly bleary eyed and numb and losing years off their lives through extreme distress.

f
Quack Quack Quack !

Chesstralia

Moves
25 Sep 06
1 edit

Originally posted by RahimK
I haven't seen either game but I doubt it. I know Topolav is a fighter and doesn't like short draws so things might be different this time but Kramnik has skills in drawing.

One thing I will always remember is the following which I heard someone mention during a Leko vs Super GM last year. It was a strong tourney, Leko, Anand, etc...one of the really big o ...[text shortened]... It all makes sense, why people call Kramnik = Drawmnik 🙂

Nothing against the guy though 🙂
or is Kramnik just a clear cut above? - Rybka might be the key to let us know😉

maybe they should both play Rybka ... whoever can take the monster on is surely the champion of humanity!

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
25 Sep 06

Originally posted by flexmore
or is Kramnik just a clear cut above? - Rybka might be the key to let us know😉

maybe they should both play Rybka ... whoever can take the monster on is surely the champion of humanity!
Don't think Kramnik is clearly better. Maybe slightly but from what chessbase is reporting, it seems like Topolav was forcing it and hence lost.

Hinesville, GA

Moves
25 Sep 06

Originally posted by RahimK
This is my prediction about the rest of the games:

10 games left I believe and they will all be drawn.

Kramnik's skill. Is anyone better them him at this? Now that he has his lead 2-0 why risk anything?

I'm suprised it's 2-0, I though Topolav would win it but now i'm thinking Kramnik will shut him down and hold him to a draw in all 10 games.
My poor Topalov is going to get murdered. Kramnik is obliterating him. I will cry if my Topalov isn't the World Champion. 🙁

Hinesville, GA

Moves
25 Sep 06
1 edit

Originally posted by BLReid
Fischer ain't playing. This is 2006, Topalov v. Kramnik.
Fischer is still the World Champion. He always will be, and Fischer isn't going to let anyone be World Champion until Fischer passes away... even even then??? who knows? If he's dead he can still keep the title. hehe

p.s. know I responding to a two month old post - sorry. But, I felt that the post was pertinent to the World Championship that's taking place at present.