Need help getting to 1400?

Need help getting to 1400?

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
12 May 06

Originally posted by CapaPatzer316
I actually like the CT-ART 3.0 now. It seems to help alot when it comes to tactics. Should I start testing myself instead of practicing the exercises in that program?
I don't have the program but I heard lots of good stuff about it. I posted a link to an article in one of the threads about a WGM teaching experts to become master and beyond using Ct-art 3.0 . It's a great program.

Anyways, what do you mean by testing your self? Some books give you a tactics quiz at the end and give you points if you solve them right. Is that what you mean? Taking a test like that?

Hinesville, GA

Moves
16 May 06

Originally posted by razor2007
Rahim, if a class A player like yourself is offering lessons/training to help us lower players geet to 1400 I would gladly accept, so yes, I'm tyring to get to 1400.
I'll help you. My rating on here is only 1604 at present, but I can help though.

R

Moves
17 May 06

Just a question. Why 1400? It seems pretty arbitrary.

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
17 May 06

Originally posted by Ramiri15
because you can get to 1400+ following some really simple guidelines. it's almost an instant cure. also to at least 1600+, but that takes more commitment from 'pupils', which in turn cannot be monitored over the net. well, not without serious commitment from rahim anyway. he would have to actively kick people around to do the exercises, on daily basis. which is probably too much hassle to do it for free.

Moves
17 May 06
1 edit

I guess if anyone wants to learn a bit i'll teach them. The only condition is its on playchess because they provide the facilites for live teaching sessions. Playchess is free, I will try and help out for free. I dont know everything, infact I know next to nothing but might be able to offer a bit of advice.

Edit. Before you look at my rating here and go urgh I do play OTB and am class A level.

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
18 May 06

Originally posted by wormwood
because you can get to 1400+ following some really simple guidelines. it's almost an instant cure. also to at least 1600+, but that takes more commitment from 'pupils', which in turn cannot be monitored over the net. well, not without serious commitment from rahim anyway. he would have to actively kick people around to do the exercises, on daily basis. which is probably too much hassle to do it for free.
Well said. That's exactly my reason. Doing this stuff should get you to 1600 at least but how do I know that a person is really doing all the stuff I told them to do? I don't know you and this is online.

Thus, I feel that doing some of the stuff I wrote should get you to 1400 and so I put 1400.

Hinesville, GA

Moves
18 May 06

Originally posted by Bedlam
I guess if anyone wants to learn a bit i'll teach them. The only condition is its on playchess because they provide the facilites for live teaching sessions. Playchess is free, I will try and help out for free. I dont know everything, infact I know next to nothing but might be able to offer a bit of advice.

Edit. Before you look at my rating here and go urgh I do play OTB and am class A level.
I believe you. Same with me. But, people on here don't believe me. At least, I know the truth about my playing though. 🙂

Hinesville, GA

Moves
18 May 06

Originally posted by Ramiri15
1400 is a club player rating. A weaker player may see that as a good rating. Actually, I think the big leap in strength is from 1300-1500. In fact, the math says that a 1300 player has a 1 in 20 chance of beating a 1500 player. Odd, huh? In no other range of point spread is this difference so vast. Do some research! It's pretty interesting. No one can explain why either.

c

Moves
18 May 06

I thought playchess was only free for guests? I could be wrong...

Immigration Central

tinyurl.com/muzppr8z

Moves
18 May 06

Nope.

c

Moves
18 May 06

Ah k, thank you. On a side note, this may have been mentioned, but if you are in the 1200-1300 range a great site to check out is www.chessville.com They have weekly tactical puzzles, some basic opening articles ( but once again openings don't matter at that level) and many other helpful sections. Also, Fred Reinfeld's 1001 puzzles can be found on there, which I plan to start on soon....I'm sure this site has been mentioned, but it's worth repeating to make sure more people check it out.

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
19 May 06

Originally posted by cmsMaster
Ah k, thank you. On a side note, this may have been mentioned, but if you are in the 1200-1300 range a great site to check out is www.chessville.com They have weekly tactical puzzles, some basic opening articles ( but once again openings don't matter at that level) and many other helpful sections. Also, Fred Reinfeld's 1001 puzzles can be found on there ...[text shortened]... his site has been mentioned, but it's worth repeating to make sure more people check it out.
Welcome. Ya it's a great site but I felt the princeton one has more resources with examples while the chessville one is mostly words.

As for the Reinfield puzzles, they are pretty good. I started doing them couple of weeks ago. I try to solve them in my head and then use fritz to get the solution and check if I was right. It would so great if they has the solutions also.

Moves
19 May 06

Originally posted by powershaker
I believe you. Same with me. But, people on here don't believe me. At least, I know the truth about my playing though. 🙂
Yes but in a month or two I will be 2000 here 🙂

Moves
19 May 06

Originally posted by cmsMaster
I thought playchess was only free for guests? I could be wrong...
You can create accounts just not talk in the general channesl and also some rooms are off limits.

c

Moves
19 May 06

You can create accounts just not talk in the general channesl and also some rooms are off limits.
Which is why I use FICS. Yay for FICS, those guys are great, the ONLY* free chess server, and the guys at RHP are obviously just as great 😉

*or are there others?