1. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    18 Dec '22 23:47
    With so many chess books available, it's hard to know which one will help you the most, as well as be interesting enough to actually finish.

This has been out for about a year now, but 1 GM and 2 IM's rank their favorite books, in terms of instructional value to the reader and entertaining content. For those of you considering your next purchase, this might be worth reviewing. πŸ™‚

YouTube&t=1152s
  2. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    20 Dec '22 16:43
    The book that improved my play the most was a cheap Fred Reinfeld paperback, "How to Win Chess Games Quickly".

All the games were 20 moves or less. It was all about punishing questionable moves in the opening.

The thing it impressed on me most was that multiple violent sacrifices can decide the game in a hurry once the enemy position is weak enough.
  3. e4
    Moves
    21 Dec '22 11:191 edit
    Du Mont's 200 Miniatures and the Rev E. Cunnington's Opening Traps hooked me.
    I think beginners books should contain a load of wham bang games to show what
    the pieces can do when let loose on a board .

Morphy at the Opera is a favourite but it should be backed up with at least half a
    dozen more to sink in the 'I wanna do that' hook, That game a few blogs back.
    Benjamin - Carter, London, 1975 - Blog Post 539 is perfect to amaze
    and fill anyone not knowing the game with wonder.

I have all the books listed in the Vid. All good...very good but the book that brought
    me along more than anything; (and I should know) 'Tarrasch's Best Games' by Reinfeld.
  4. Standard memberEndLame
    πŸ‘Œ
    Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Dec '22 00:201 edit
    I notice the most improvement from books that show full games with light annotations that allow me to figure out simple tactics and strategies.

The problem is actually doing it because of laziness and the ease of digital training apps...
    I also get incredibly tired after analyzing a game over the board. So tired I literally pass out. Explain that!

My recommendations are...

The mammoth book of the world's greatest chess games recent edition.
    The mammoth book of chess recent edition.
    And of course...500 master games of chess by Tartakower and DuMont.

I'm usually 1700 but I'm in so much pain from a torn shoulder tendon and muscle that I just don't have the energy to focus right now.
  5. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    26 Dec '22 14:51
    @booger said
    I notice the most improvement from books that show full games with light annotations that allow me to figure out simple tactics and strategies.

The problem is actually doing it because of laziness and the ease of digital training apps...
    I also get incredibly tired after analyzing a game over the board. So tired I literally pass out. Explain that!

My recommendations are ...[text shortened]... ch pain from a torn shoulder tendon and muscle that I just don't have the energy to focus right now.
    I used to own 500 master games of chess by Tartakower and DuMont. Still kicking myself for donating it to a school chess club. That's a great book. πŸ˜•
  6. Donationketchuplover
    Isolated Pawn
    Wisconsin USA
    Moves
    31 Dec '22 00:48
    @mchill said
    I used to own 500 master games of chess by Tartakower and DuMont. Still kicking myself for donating it to a school chess club. That's a great book. πŸ˜•
    and they became masters πŸ™‚
  7. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    02 Jan '23 11:552 edits
    @mchill

Chess Strategy for Club Players, by Herman Grooten

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Chess-Strategy-Club-Players-Positional/dp/9056917161/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3PAV4JCQW63AO&keywords=Grooten+Chess&qid=1672660458&sprefix=grooten+chess%2Caps%2C96&sr=8-1

This will get you over the 1800 hurdle.
  8. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    03 Jan '23 06:00
    @moonbus said
    @mchill

Chess Strategy for Club Players, by Herman Grooten

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Chess-Strategy-Club-Players-Positional/dp/9056917161/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3PAV4JCQW63AO&keywords=Grooten+Chess&qid=1672660458&sprefix=grooten+chess%2Caps%2C96&sr=8-1

This will get you over the 1800 hurdle.
    Thanks for the tip. I might give it a try. Still grinding through The Woodpecker Method right now.
  9. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    08 Jan '23 20:12
    @mchill

Grooten is himself a chess trainer of IMs and steps you thru the ten or so elementary strategic principles: bishop pair, passed pawn, lead in development, outpost knight, color control, etc. explained theoretically, then demonstrated with sample games. Excellent book.
  10. Scotton Lincolnshire
    Moves
    12 Jan '23 18:41
    Ordered the Fischer book from Amazon. Excellent except that is written in Russian, testing somewhat my knowledge of the Cyrillic alphabet. And Russian. Now need to attach three certificates to the exterior to allow it to be returned to the U.S.
    'Better Chess' by William Hartston- very clear but for woodpushers like me.
  11. Standard memberEndLame
    πŸ‘Œ
    Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Jan '23 20:08
    @Forest9

I used to buy used from Amazon.
    Buyer beware.

If a chess player is a woodpusher...what is a chess player who only uses digital?
  12. e4
    Moves
    18 Jan '23 11:202 edits
    "If a chess player is a woodpusher...what is a chess player who only uses digital?"

A Pixel Pusher.
  13. Standard memberEndLame
    πŸ‘Œ
    Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Jan '23 11:51
    I can live with that πŸ€”

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree