1. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    08 Sep '22 16:38
    @greenpawn34 said
    I’ve been reading quite a few comments on other sites (that must not be mentioned 🙂 )
    This thread is very tame in comparison, some other sites do not have any guidelines
    about swearing, flaming and very cheap insults. it’s no holds barred all the way.

There are two camps. The vast majority in favour of Niemann not cheating.
    The most venom is not aimed at Carlsen b ...[text shortened]... doing odd
    and impulsive things so we let it happen and forgive even though we can’t understand it.
    I remember when Kasparov lost his first game against Nigel Short.
    In all the previous games they stopped at the board analysing.
    In the first game Kasparov lost he walked out
  2. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    08 Sep '22 16:50
    @russ said
    "Play Magnus Group" was recently purchased by another "chess dot com" for $80 million!

I think he is OK for money right now.
    I just came across this. In the site mentioned one can play for nothing. I play many of my friends from the Chess club I was in back in 1992-1995. I still play them on that site for free. Of course I don't get in all the different features, but can access some of them.

I don't know what I would do if RHP was sold. I guess it would have to be a wait and see what happens. I will cross that bridge when and if that happens.

-VR
  3. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    08 Sep '22 17:43
    @vivify said
    I think part of the reason for Magnus' walkout is the fact that he's trying to achieve a 2900 rating. Losing to a significantly lower ranked player may have set him off more than it would have prior to setting this goal.

If this happened two years ago, I'm sure Magnus would've just taken the loss in stride.
    That's still childish, though. He used to be a better person than that. What happened to him?
  4. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    08 Sep '22 20:58
    @venda said
    In the first game Kasparov lost he walked out
    It's not the walking out that's the problem it's the accusation of cheating.
  5. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    09 Sep '22 11:182 edits
    @shallow-blue said
    That's still childish, though.
    Apparently, Niemann was caught cheating before in online games, which Niemann admits to. He says he never cheated in a tournament where money was involved.

So Magnus' actions aren't without basis. You can see the interview with Niemann here, starting at the 15:44 mark where admits to cheating:

YouTube
  6. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    09 Sep '22 16:29
    Nakamura explains his comments of Hans vs Magnus dispute
    https://chess24.com/en/read/news/chess-com-and-nakamura-respond-to-hans-niemann-s-interview
  7. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    09 Sep '22 16:54
    @ogb said
    Nakamura explains his comments of Hans vs Magnus dispute
    https://chess24.com/en/read/news/chess-com-and-nakamura-respond-to-hans-niemann-s-interview
    Here's a brief video of Nakamura explaining his reasoning for accusing Niemann. He makes some legitimate points:

YouTube
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    10 Sep '22 07:57
    @russ said
    There won't be any chess sites not owned by them soon - so careful what you wish for!
    Everyone needs to cash in at some point and I’m sure no one would blame you if you were “made and offer you couldn’t refuse” so to speak.

But have to say that it will be a sad day here if you were. This website feels like a well loved personal project, which of course it is.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree