1. Mayberry NC
    Moves
    07 Sep '22 14:31
    @greenpawn34 said

I and many others are convinced he did not cheat v Magnus and
    even those who were flaming him for cheating have turned around.
    One of my personal aphorisms regarding competitive chess (and other games) is to beware of low rated players --- anyone can have a miracle game at any time, and a stronger player must take every opponent seriously and try to avoid letting them uncork that once-in-a-lifetime game.
  2. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    07 Sep '22 16:421 edit
    @mlb62 removed their quoted post
    Crybaby loser Magnus Carlsen withdrew from Sinquefield Cup after losing to lowest rated player Hans Niemann.

Despite accusations of cheating by Carlsen, nothing of the kind has been proven. I don't know who to believe, but the You Tube vid below has some interesting thoughts on this.

YouTube
  3. Joined
    15 Dec '20
    Moves
    07 Sep '22 19:00
    After seeing this thread, I played over Carlsen--Niemann. My impression, which was reinforced by playing over the game a second and third time, was that Black played a wonderful game and exhibited marvelous tactical alertness.

But such a standard seems to me within the capability of a player rated over 2600 FIDE. Consequently, I don't see the game itself as suggesting that Black cheated.
  4. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    08 Sep '22 02:17

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

5. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    08 Sep '22 02:19
    I'd be interested to know what in my post above was deemed inappropriate.
  6. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    08 Sep '22 03:12
    Any chance Chess dot com will buy out RHP and clear out the most pernicious of the riffraff?
  7. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    08 Sep '22 09:071 edit
    @kevin-eleven said
    Any chance Chess dot com will buy out RHP and clear out the most pernicious of the riffraff?
    There won't be any chess sites not owned by them soon - so careful what you wish for!
  8. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    08 Sep '22 09:09
    @kevin-eleven said
    I'd be interested to know what in my post above was deemed inappropriate.
    Most likely auto modded for chess dot com references. I will need to neuter that somewhat.
  9. e4
    Moves
    08 Sep '22 10:58
    I’ve been reading quite a few comments on other sites (that must not be mentioned 🙂 )
    This thread is very tame in comparison, some other sites do not have any guidelines
    about swearing, flaming and very cheap insults. it’s no holds barred all the way.

There are two camps. The vast majority in favour of Niemann not cheating.
    The most venom is not aimed at Carlsen but at Nakamura whose ‘speculations’
    could have (and may yet have) ruined a very promising career.
    He is getting stoned by nearly everyone. He has previous form for falsely accusing
    players of being a cheat and has apologised. So all we can do is wait to see what happens.

Regarding Carlsen, my own take is walking out after a loss is not the way to
    go about things no matter what you think has happened.
    But he has given so much to chess and all chess geniuses have a history of doing odd
    and impulsive things so we let it happen and forgive even though we can’t understand it.
  10. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    08 Sep '22 11:36
    @greenpawn34 said
    I’ve been reading quite a few comments on other sites (that must not be mentioned 🙂 )
    This thread is very tame in comparison, some other sites do not have any guidelines
    about swearing, flaming and very cheap insults. it’s no holds barred all the way.

There are two camps. The vast majority in favour of Niemann not cheating.
    The most venom is not aimed at Carlsen b ...[text shortened]... doing odd
    and impulsive things so we let it happen and forgive even though we can’t understand it.
    Regarding Carlsen, my own take is walking out after a loss is not the way to
    go about things no matter what you think has happened. But he has given so much to chess and all chess geniuses have a history of doing odd and impulsive things so we let it happen and forgive even though we can’t understand it.

I generally agree, many forget that the top players, for all their talent and work ethic are human, and just a prone to errors in judgement like the rest of us. As I said before, I don't know who to believe, but in today's digital computer age, these situations may become more common.
  11. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    08 Sep '22 14:15
    @russ said
    There won't be any chess sites not owned by them soon - so careful what you wish for!
    If they buy RHP I hope you get a monumental pay day.
  12. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    08 Sep '22 14:18
    I think part of the reason for Magnus' walkout is the fact that he's trying to achieve a 2900 rating. Losing to a significantly lower ranked player may have set him off more than it would have prior to setting this goal.

If this happened two years ago, I'm sure Magnus would've just taken the loss in stride.
  13. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    08 Sep '22 15:371 edit
    @vivify said
    I think part of the reason for Magnus' walkout is the fact that he's trying to achieve a 2900 rating. Losing to a significantly lower ranked player may have set him off more than it would have prior to setting this goal.
    Magnus lost 7.3 rating points to Niemann, and his rating today is 2856....so that's a long way from 2900.. Maybe he can have some private matches, instead of tournaments...to get his rating higher...
  14. SubscriberThe Gravedigger
    Jack Torrance
    Overlook Hotel
    Moves
    08 Sep '22 15:56
    @greenpawn34 said
    The internet forums are flooded with speculation.

A lot are saying Hans Niemann must have cheated, Magnus cannot prove it
    so he had walked out of the tournament. It's not that simple and this article
    by Jacob Aagaard defending Niemann. It's well worth a read.

'Paranoia and Insanity' by Jacob Aagaard

https://forum.killerchesstraining.com/t/paranoia-and-insanit ...[text shortened]... int of cheating just Carlsen having an off day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCeJrItfQqw&t=31s
    'Paranoia and Insanity' by Jacob Aagaard
    Great article. Thanks gp
  15. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    08 Sep '22 16:05
    @vivify said
    If they buy RHP I hope you get a monumental pay day.
    I'd settle for a regular pay day. 😉

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree