London chess classic 2012

London chess classic 2012

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The drunk knight

Stuck on g1

Moves
10 Dec 12

Another feather in Carlsen's cap!

Next stop: Candidates tournament in March??

k
Mr Ring Rusty

Wales

Moves
10 Dec 12

Magnus doesn't need to be messed around with the World champs. He IS the defacto World Champion and everyone knows. It's strange to watch him play. Many other Champs have depended on their opening whilst he just wants equality with chances out of the opening.

rc

Moves
10 Dec 12

Originally posted by kingshill
Magnus doesn't need to be messed around with the World champs. He IS the defacto World Champion and everyone knows. It's strange to watch him play. Many other Champs have depended on their opening whilst he just wants equality with chances out of the opening.
I was interested in Kramniks style, he seems to be able to , while not totally bypassing
the middle, certainly quickly getting from the middle to the end where his prowess
demonstrates itself. He was interviewed and is actually quite an interesting character,
not afraid to share his theories, Magnus by way of contrast was rather dull and
refrained from talking about himself.

Chess Librarian

The Stacks

Moves
10 Dec 12

Originally posted by thaughbaer
Even I spotted that one.. I think Vishy must be sandbagging and planning to enter the <1600 category in the World Open.
Now that is just funny in a way that only RHP people would understand!

P

Moves
10 Dec 12
3 edits

Who entitled you to speak for others? Carlsen`s best performances are made in tournaments. But you should win a match to become World champion which is not the same.

I remember similar songs of praise from Topalov fans in 2005.

P

Moves
10 Dec 12
1 edit

It`s interesting that Kramnik repeated his result (4 wins 4 draws) of previous year. It was enough for 1st place in 2011. But now it`s only 2nd place due to Carlsen`s excellent performance.

k
Mr Ring Rusty

Wales

Moves
10 Dec 12

Originally posted by Pacifique
Who entitled you to speak for others? Carlsen`s best performances are made in tournaments. But you should win a match to become World champion which is not the same.

Do you blame in for not participating the way the players have been pissed around in the candidates cycles over the last decade..?

He doesn't need the title his performances speak for themselves..!

t

Moves
10 Dec 12

It`s interesting that Kramnik repeated his result (4 wins 4 draws) of previous year. It was enough for 1st place in 2011. But now it`s only 2nd place due to Carlsen`s excellent performance.
It's only tied for second place due to Carlsen's excellent performance and a good showing by Adams.

P

Moves
10 Dec 12

Do you blame in for not participating the way the players have been pissed around in the candidates cycles over the last decade..?

He doesn't need the title his performances speak for themselves..!
If Carlsen is so superior how you claim him to be then there should be no competition format which could stop him. Carlsen obviously was not so sure about his success and made Fischer-like PR move.

If you are unable to see the difference between tournament and match play it speaks only about lack of your knowledge.

And it`s really stupid to make conclusions from one tournament with some participants obviously weaker than others.

t

Moves
10 Dec 12
1 edit

Major differences between the two. In 2005 Topalov WAS the Fide Wold Chess Champion and he was facing off against Kramnik who was and is a better chess player than Vishy, between the was and is Vishy had a short stint as the better player obvsioulsy since he beat Kramnik for the title, but now his skills are either in decline or he is just playing dead to surprise the next contender.

Kramnik is #2 now on the ratings list.

I think, in hindsight, Carlsen's move was more to attempt to surpass Kasparov's rating than it was about PR. If he would have engaged in a WC match his rating most likely would have declined by a fair margin even if he won the match and afterwards if he won he wouldn't want to show his cards enough to make a major attempt at attaining the highest rating ever.

P

Moves
10 Dec 12

Originally posted by tomtom232
It's only tied for second place due to Carlsen's excellent performance and a good showing by Adams.
Also due to game between them in which Kramnik failed to convert his advantage into the win. Also Adams might not lose to Carlsen.

P

Moves
10 Dec 12
2 edits

Major differences between the two. In 2005 Topalov WAS the Fide Wold Chess Champion and he was facing off against Kramnik who was and is a better chess player than Vishy, between the was and is Vishy had a short stint as the better player obvsioulsy since he beat Kramnik for the title, but now his skills are either in decline or he is just playing dead to surprise the next contender.

Kramnik is #2 now on the ratings list.
FIDE Chess Champion LOL. Did anyone take such a title seriously?

What I really remember very well were Topalov fans claiming that their idol will destroy Kramnik in their match.

And "attempt to surpass Kasparov's rating" is not PR? Winning WC title is much more valuable achievement. Chess history knows many good tournament players who were not so good in matches.

t

Moves
10 Dec 12
1 edit

FIDE Chess Champion LOL. Did anyone take such a title seriously?

What I really remember very well were Topalov fans claiming that their idol will destroy Kramnik in their match.
Yes, they were ignorant to make such claims then but Topalov wasn't really much stronger than Kramnik in tournament play as Carlsen obviously is compared to everyone else. I don't think you lose 50 rating points let alone 100 in strength going from tournament play to match play... He should win in a match against Anand (unless Anand is performing poorly because he doesn't want to show his cards, but that doesn't seem likely) but maybe he wouldn't win in a match against Kramnik, Aronian or others in the top 5.

It is PR but not necessarily with the intent to try and snag some PR points. When you play top level in any event you want to be the best their ever was at what you do... it could have been more to prove it to himself that he could do it than it was about PR. One can never tell but I still think he should beat Vishy but "should" and "will" are two different things.

P

Moves
10 Dec 12
1 edit

Yes, they were ignorant to make such claims then but Topalov wasn't really much stronger than Kramnik in tournament play as Carlsen obviously is compared to everyone else. I don't think you lose 50 rating points let alone 100 in strength going from tournament play to match play... He should win in a match against Anand (unless Anand is performing poorly be kely) but maybe he wouldn't win in a match against Kramnik, Aronian or others in the top 5.
Topalov`s tournament performance in 2005 (starting with San Luis) and in 2006 (before match with Kramnik) was similar with Carlsen`s performance now. Also Kramnik`s play before match with Topalov was very similar with Anand`s current play.

I don`t say that Carlsen can`t beat Anand. If Anand will continue to play like that Carlsen will beat him even if he is not so good match player. But are you sure that it will be Carlsen who will play next WC match with Anand?

rc

Moves
10 Dec 12

Topalov`s tournament performance in 2005 (starting with San Luis) and in 2006 (before match with Kramnik) was similar with Carlsen`s performance now. Also Kramnik`s play before match with Topalov was very similar with Anand`s current play.
commentators were saying the Anands style has changed, he is much less innovative
than before. Kramniks goal is to refute 1.e4!