London chess classic 2012

London chess classic 2012

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The drunk knight

Stuck on g1

Moves
27 Nov 12
1 edit

http://www.londonchessclassic.com/press_releases.htm#lcc2012pairingsannounced

So the pairings and schedule of play has been finalised... just a matter of waiting for the games to begin!

Good quality line up as usual...
Perhaps in many peoples eyes, Carlsen is faves to win... but in this format it could be anybodys for the taking

So, who's rooting for who? 🙂

EDIT: Full schedule is here http://www.londonchessclassic.com/classic.htm

Notice in the final round Carlsen has the white pieces vs. Anand... perhaps the game to win the tournament?

FL

Moves
27 Nov 12

Anand will probably draw all but a couple of his games. I wouldn't be surprised if he remains unbeaten for the whole tournament but I don't think he's capable of winning elite events any more.

If it was up to me I'd kick out the drawmasters, namely Kramnik, Anand and Adams, and bring in some players who seem to actually want to win, for example Topalov and Short.

I think Judit Polgar's best days are behind her and I'm not sure she really belongs in the tournament. I'd have given her place to a more active woman player.

On paper Jones ought to be eveyone's whipping boy, and I'd be surprised (but pleasantly so) if he manages to get many points.

As for the winner, it's difficult to look beyond Carlsen and Aronian. Carlsen is just great, I can't get enough of his games and I hope he wins the tournament.

a
Frustrate the Bad

Liverpool

Moves
27 Nov 12
2 edits

Short will never(?) appear again - at his own request. He concedes he can no longer compete against the best 2700s & 2800s. Judit Polgar is included for obvious reasons. No other women is yet credible: Hou Yifan one day, but only maybe.

I too would like to see more inventive players - Morozevich, Grischuk & Ivanchuk come to mind; Topalov & Wang Hao (& Nakamura) too. The Carlsen-Anand-Kramnik trio gets a bit 'samey' year after year.

But the series could be coming to an end. Another year perhaps

rc

Moves
27 Nov 12

Originally posted by atticus2
Short will never(?) appear again - at his own request. He concedes he can no longer compete against the best 2700s & 2800s. Judit Polgar is included for obvious reasons. No other women is yet credible: Hou Yifan one day, but only maybe.

I too would like to see more inventive players - Morozevich, Grischuk & Ivanchuk come to mind; Topalov & Wang Hao (& Na ...[text shortened]... bit 'samey' year after year.

Watched Moro win against Kamsky and Carauna in Tashkent Grand Prix, dudes awesome.

rc

Moves
27 Nov 12
2 edits

Originally posted by Fat Lady
Anand will probably draw all but a couple of his games. I wouldn't be surprised if he remains unbeaten for the whole tournament but I don't think he's capable of winning elite events any more.

If it was up to me I'd kick out the drawmasters, namely Kramnik, Anand and Adams, and bring in some players who seem to actually want to win, for example Topalov a sen is just great, I can't get enough of his games and I hope he wins the tournament.
I like Carlsens games as well, he tends to avoid theoretical battles and simply gets his pieces out and outplays his opponents.

Carlsen v Polgar

p

under your bed

Moves
27 Nov 12

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
I like Carlsens games as well, he tends to avoid theoretical battles and simply gets his pieces out and outplays his opponents.

Carlsen v Polgar
[pgn]1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 e6 3. d3 Nc6 4. g3 d5 5. Qe2 Nf6 6. Bg2 Be7 7. O-O b5 8. exd5 exd5 9. d4 c4 10. Ne5 Nxd4 11. Qd1 Qb6 12. Be3 Bc5 13. Nc3 Be6 14. a4 b4 15. a5 Qc7 16. Na4 Bd6 17. Nxc4 Qxc4 18. Bxd4 B ...[text shortened]... e1 Qb6 34. Re3 a5 35. Rf3 Bg7 36. h4 h5 37. Ne4 Qd4 38. Ng5 Qxd5 39. Bxd5 Bc3 40. Rxf7 1-0[/pgn]
Ironic game that as I seem to remember you totally slating the kia setup against e6 sicilians and the maroczy bind being the only way to play.. 🙁

p

under your bed

Moves
27 Nov 12

On paper Jones ought to be eveyone's whipping boy, and I'd be surprised (but pleasantly so) if he manages to get many points.
I really hoping he'll get a chance to wheel out his 3.f4 grand prix attack against someone he's famous for - be good fun to watch at that level..

rc

Moves
27 Nov 12
1 edit

Originally posted by plopzilla
Ironic game that as I seem to remember you totally slating the kia setup against e6 sicilians and the maroczy bind being the only way to play.. 🙁
umm i dont think it was Carlsens choice of opening that won him the game, you seem
to have missed the point. Never the less, I have seen Carlsen do this numerous times,
he simply avoids mainline theory and hopes to outplay his opponent.

wotagr8game

tbc

Moves
27 Nov 12
1 edit

If it was up to me I'd kick out the drawmasters, namely Kramnik, Anand and Adams, and bring in some players who seem to actually want to win, for example Topalov a sen is just great, I can't get enough of his games and I hope he wins the tournament.
Sorry, i don't normally do the endless quoting thing but you make a lot of interesting points.. 🙂

I absolutely agree with this assessment, but Anand is a proud man and he's had a lot of time to prepare for this tournament. The timing of this particular tournament doesn't coincide with a title defence (for once) so the old excuse 'the champ is keeping his preparation close to his chest, bla bla bla'. It is possible that Anand will have tired of all this under performing at the top level. It is not inconceivable that he may try and rectify this, he needs to repair that rating of his. A bad run could easily drop him out of the top ten, that is unacceptable for a World champion. So you put all this together and it becomes clear that Anand has a lot at stake in London this year. I do think he has a tournament win left in him, he is simply too good for that..

If it was up to me I'd kick out the drawmasters, namely Kramnik, Anand and Adams, and bring in some players who seem to actually want to win, for example Topalov and Short.

Kramnik: Defending champion (!) so he's a no.
Anand: I can see your argument.
Adams: He's still British no.1. Given the premis of the tournament, that would be a strange thing to do don't you think?
Topalov: Yes, would love to see him included, same goes for Moro, Ivanchuk (x2!), Caruana,

I think Judit Polgar's best days are behind her and I'm not sure she really belongs in the tournament. I'd have given her place to a more active woman player.

Really? Third place in the European championships (tied for first, third on tie break). That's pretty good if you ask me, especially after such a long lay off. She beat Carlsen just the other day, ok it was rapid, but still. Also she is instrumental to the chess in schools project and has been promoting similar stuff in the US. I'm sure Pein is keen to have players involved who are prepared to be involved in his CIS charity.

I'm excited by his inclusion. I really hope he can cause some upsets! 😀

As for the winner, it's difficult to look beyond Carlsen and Aronian. Carlsen is just great, I can't get enough of his games and I hope he wins the tournament.

Agreed, but then there's Mcshane! He could have won the last three tournaments, every one he lost in the final round. What about Kramnik? He won last year, it is not inconceivable that he could repeat that..

wotagr8game

tbc

Moves
27 Nov 12

Originally posted by atticus2
Really? Is this a personal opinion or has there been a rumour suggesting this? I would be so upset if this tournament disappears as well. It is so well organised! TLCC is like Wimbledon for me, totally unmissable! :'(

The drunk knight

Stuck on g1

Moves
27 Nov 12

While we're at it, can the games be watched live at all?

I like an underdog, so keen to watch Jones go up against the world champ and world no.1 🙂

wotagr8game

tbc

Moves
27 Nov 12

Originally posted by 64squaresofpain
While we're at it, can the games be watched live at all?

I like an underdog, so keen to watch Jones go up against the world champ and world no.1 🙂
This tournament is covered extensively, it has arguably the best coverage of any tournament! You can watch the games live on the official site and i highly recommend you do. 🙂

The drunk knight

Stuck on g1

Moves
28 Nov 12

Originally posted by Marinkatomb
This tournament is covered extensively, it has arguably the best coverage of any tournament! You can watch the games live on the official site and i highly recommend you do. 🙂
Awesome news 🙂

Just wish I wasn't so busy at the moment, might miss a few rounds :/

wotagr8game

tbc

Moves
28 Nov 12

Originally posted by 64squaresofpain
Awesome news 🙂

Just wish I wasn't so busy at the moment, might miss a few rounds :/
Actually they keep it all online, every minute! You can watch previous years on youtube. 😀

The drunk knight

Stuck on g1

Moves
28 Nov 12

Truuee, but.... wanna watch live! 😲

Only live games i seen up to now are from this years world championship Anand vs Gelfand....
we all know how gripping and intense THAT was, huh