Garry Kasparov returns to chess

Garry Kasparov returns to chess

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

c

Moves
07 Jul 17

On CB site

Garry Kasparov will be playing in the official St. Louis leg of the Grand Chess Tour from August 14-19, 2017. Please note that this is the Rapid and Blitz competition, just as the ones held in Paris and Levuen these last weeks, and not the classical events. However, this is not an exhibition event, and will determine the official Grand Chess Tour rankings as well as FIDE ratings of the players.

Moves
07 Jul 17

Whew, for awhile there I thought he had switched to playing Grand Chess, a chess variant played on a 10x10 board.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Chess

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
08 Jul 17

Originally posted by Spectators
Whew, for awhile there I thought he had switched to playing Grand Chess, a chess variant played on a 10x10 board.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Chess
Shogi is also played on a 10X10 matrix.

Mozart

liverpool

Moves
08 Jul 17

Originally posted by congruent
On CB site

Garry Kasparov will be playing in the official St. Louis leg of the Grand Chess Tour from August 14-19, 2017. Please note that this is the Rapid and Blitz competition, just as the ones held in Paris and Levuen these last weeks, and not the classical events. However, this is not an exhibition event, and will determine the official Grand Chess Tour rankings as well as FIDE ratings of the players.
Would love to see Kasparov in the next Candidates Tournament, and qualify for the World Championship Match.

Cryptic

Behind the scenes

Moves
09 Jul 17

Originally posted by congruent
On CB site

It seems he's had enough of politics. Good choice!

mlb62

Moves
09 Jul 17

dream on..Garry is all washed up and doesn't stand a chance against younger players.. Why doesn't he just fade away like all the other ex- ex-ex-ex champions..

Moves
09 Jul 17
6 edits

Originally posted by ogb
dream on..Garry is all washed up and doesn't stand a chance against younger players.. Why doesn't he just fade away like all the other ex- ex-ex-ex champions..
I don't know.

In last year's "Ultimate Blitz Challenge" tournament he scored 9.5/18 points to take third place ahead of Caruana in a field of four. He scored wins against Caruana, Nakamura and So. That doesn't seem too washed up to me. Playing under classical time controls might be a different matter, though. He might tire too easily in the long stretch.

Anyways, former world champion "Vishy" Anand (age 47) is currently number 9 in the world!

And former world champion Vladimir Kramnik (age 42) is the world's number 2 player!

They are both middle aged players. Kasparov is still middle aged himself. Give him a break.

Let's allow age diversity just like we do cultural diversity.

mlb62

Moves
09 Jul 17

political correctness is a mental disease..

c

Moves
09 Jul 17

Anyone got a link to Kasparov's comeback games?

Moves
09 Jul 17

Originally posted by sonhouse
Shogi is also played on a 10X10 matrix.
Erm, no. Shogi is played on a 9x9 (unchequered) board.

The drunk knight

Stuck on g1

Moves
09 Jul 17

August 14-19

I'll have to put those dates on my calendar,
excited to see how Kaspy does in an official tournament vs. the current elite!

mlb62

Moves
10 Jul 17

Don't sell the farm....

Mister Why

San Carlos, CA

Moves
10 Jul 17

Originally posted by ogb
political correctness is a mental disease..
No, it's trolling that is the disease.

Mister Why

San Carlos, CA

Moves
10 Jul 17

Will Kasparov's rating still be 2812 like it was when he retired in 2005?

e4

Moves
10 Jul 17

Deep Blue is thinking is of making a comeback as well.