Evaluate this position

Evaluate this position

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

wotagr8game

tbc

Moves
25 Feb 09

Originally posted by Korch
Here is another position.
[fen]6k1/p2n4/4r1pp/qPbN1p2/P1PppP2/7P/4Q1PK/R2R4 w - - 0 37[/fen]
White to move again.
g5 looks good to me. If black captures then Qxg5 threatens the rook and the g-pawn. If black declines then white can open the g-file for a rook..

wotagr8game

tbc

Moves
25 Feb 09

Next position to evaluate.
[fen]r2qnrk1/pb2b1pp/1p6/2ppPp2/5B2/2NBP3/PPQ2PPP/2R2RK1 b - - 0 14[/fen]
Black to move.
At first i thought black needed to defend the f-pawn but ..g5! wins the black bishop. 🙂

d

Moves
25 Feb 09

Originally posted by Marinkatomb
At first i thought black needed to defend the f-pawn but ..g5! wins the black bishop. 🙂
he can't. 1...g5 2.Bg3 f4? 3.Bxh7 Kh8 4.Qg6! fxg3? 5.Qh6

h

Moves
25 Feb 09

Next position to evaluate.
[fen]r2qnrk1/pb2b1pp/1p6/2ppPp2/5B2/2NBP3/PPQ2PPP/2R2RK1 b - - 0 14[/fen]
Black to move.
A bit cowardish but I would just play 1. ... Qd7 to cover the f5 pawn. Probably there is a more inspired move available but I am not seeing it.

wotagr8game

tbc

Moves
25 Feb 09

Originally posted by diskamyl
he can't. 1...g5 2.Bg3 f4? 3.Bxh7 Kh8 4.Qg6! fxg3? 5.Qh6
You are quite right. Can black play c4 first do you think??

h

Moves
25 Feb 09

Originally posted by Marinkatomb
You are quite right. Can black play c4 first do you think??
What is the idea after 1. ... c4 2. Bxf5 then?

Y
Renaissance

OnceInALifetime

Moves
25 Feb 09
1 edit

I like this thread.

Material is equal, I think. No open files but Black is obviously better - he has a better center, his pawn structure is better and his pieces have more dynamic potential, his position is much easier to play.

...g6 seems simplest and best [protecting the f-pawn]. True, it weakens the dark squares around the king but Bh6 is easily met by Rf7, e6 by Rf6.

...Qd7 would have been met by Bb5, Bxe8, I think, dissipating Black's advantage somewhat.

Plan for Black is simply Nc7-e6 and d4. I think if Black gets in this move keeping the N on e6 Black is better. But before playing d4, Black has to weaken the response of Bc4 [threatening capture of the knight] to d4.

And a6 [with the idea of b5 controlling c4] falls to a4. So to make d4 possible:

So my plan would be Nc7-e6 and then normal development, something needs to be protecting the knight [consider d4 Bc4 dxc3 Bx - of course white would be simply down a piece should Black be able to recapture the N, so white would have to recapture on d4 or retreat the knight - both unpleasant possibilities for white - so that is why protecting the knight is correct... and why I think my plan works ... sorry if you find my explanation of how to actualize my plan somewhat convoluted].

Major Bone

On yer tail ...

Moves
25 Feb 09

f5 is under attack and needs to be defended or it falls. Black's knight is in a horrible place and needs to find some space and the light-squared bishop is also not well placed away from the action.
By contrast, white's e5 pawn is strong and well defended. White's threatening the king-side and particularly f5. On the whole I'd prefer white's position.
What to play? g5 gets the bishop but leaves black's king totally exposed. It loses. Black has to choose whether to defend or accept the loss of f5 and come up with something better but I can't see anything with a future. I'd probably look hardest at g6 which defends and at least opens space for the knight. But it's an unenviable choice.

Y
Renaissance

OnceInALifetime

Moves
25 Feb 09

Originally posted by buffalobill
f5 is under attack and needs to be defended or it falls. Black's knight is in a horrible place and needs to find some space and the light-squared bishop is also not well placed away from the action.

I'd probably look hardest at g6 which defends and at least opens space for the knight. But it's an unenviable choice.
Black's knight is heavenly and so will the light squared bishop be after my "glorious" plan of getting in d4 and/or getting the white knight to hop away.

I think g6 is perfectly fine in this position, white has noooo advantages unless Black gives them to white.

Of course Black should calculate the consequences of g5 first RE my last post, but that's been talked about I think, I suspect after Bxh7, Qg6 - h6 it doesn't work, but I cannot calculate anything right now, I have had a week of flu, I think, and my head is all wooozy. :-)

m

Moves
26 Feb 09

In the position I definitely preffer Black. Although his pieces are slightly disorganized, he has a strong center, and better pieces. White on the other hand, will have big trouble defending his position after Black inevitablly reorganizes his pieces.

And, I'd go for 1... g6.

Major Bone

On yer tail ...

Moves
26 Feb 09
1 edit

Originally posted by moteutsch
In the position I definitely preffer Black. Although his pieces are slightly disorganized, he has a strong center, and better pieces. White on the other hand, will have big trouble defending his position after Black inevitablly reorganizes his pieces.

And, I'd go for [b]1... g6
.[/b]
Nah, the strong center is an illusion because white's focus is on the king-side. And, black's pieces are totally uncoordinated. If black has time to get organised, then the picture might be different. A good player won't give him the time.
Actually, 1. ...g5 2. Bg3 Ng7 or Qd7 looks a decent option for black. But, going after the bishop will be a mistake. A bishop for three pawns will be an excellent trade in this case ... for white.
I'd still probably play g6.

m

Moves
26 Feb 09
1 edit

Just because white's focus is on the kingside doesn't mean black does not have a strong center. And, after 1..g6, how would you possibly attack? Just getting your pieces towards the kingside would give black enough time to coordinate his pieces. Go ahead, don't "give him a chance".

Moves
02 Mar 09

Petrosian had to resign after few moves.
Hiya Korch

Going back to the previous position, can you comment on why this is now a resigning position?

At first glance after Kh7, white has nothing fatal. The Rd1 is a couple of moves away from causing trouble, and nothing looks so disastrous. The linked passed pawns are some compensation for the material.

Thanks.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
02 Mar 09

Originally posted by gezza
Hiya Korch

Going back to the previous position, can you comment on why this is now a resigning position?

At first glance after Kh7, white has nothing fatal. The Rd1 is a couple of moves away from causing trouble, and nothing looks so disastrous. The linked passed pawns are some compensation for the material.

Thanks.
Some interesting analysis here: http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1034808

The main point of interest is white's idea of a5, b6 and a6 to make a passed pawn on the Queenside.

anybody seen my

underpants??

Moves
02 Mar 09

I'm just a lowly patzer, but I like ...d4. it opens the exchage and will throw the knight off the c3 square, but more importantly it opens the diagonal for blacks light square bishop effectively saying "let's rumble"