1. Joined
    30 Aug '06
    Moves
    16 Mar '09 14:231 edit
    Originally posted by Korch
    [fen]4r1k1/1p2qp1p/p2p2pb/2nP4/1RP5/2Q1PR2/P3B1PP/6K1 w - - 0 24[/fen]

White to move.
    Somehow both players have managed to take a balanced starting position, and make it unbalanced.
    What a couple of morons.
  2. Standard memberbuffalobill
    Major Bone
    On yer tail ...
    Moves
    16 Mar '09 16:19
    Originally posted by Ice Cold
    Somehow both players have managed to take a balanced starting position, and make it unbalanced.
    What a couple of morons.
    That's the whole point of the Sicilian - an unbalanced game where black reckons he has better chances. Unbalanced is good and rarely a draw.
    In this case, white is sunk.
  3. Joined
    30 Aug '06
    Moves
    16 Mar '09 16:58
    Originally posted by buffalobill
    That's the whole point of the Sicilian - an unbalanced game where black reckons he has better chances. Unbalanced is good and rarely a draw.
    In this case, white is sunk.
    You need to visit
    howtotellwhensomeoneispullingyourleg.com 😞
  4. Standard memberbuffalobill
    Major Bone
    On yer tail ...
    Moves
    17 Mar '09 19:01
    And so should you 😛
  5. Joined
    08 Jun '06
    Moves
    17 Mar '09 19:25

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

6. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    17 Mar '09 23:07
    [fen]r4rk1/pp1b2pp/1qn2b2/3p1pN1/3PpB1P/8/PPN1BP2/R2QK1R1 w Q - 0 17[/fen]

White to move.
    White has a piece for two pawns, but Black has more central space and pressure on d4 and b2.

White's King is stuck in the center.

White's Rook is on the g-file, but playing on the Kingside seems slow compared to black's central play.

If I am white, I am feeling a bit desperate here. Black is about to restore material equality with a seemingly better position.
  7. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    17 Mar '09 23:192 edits
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Stop your spam. Re-posting my posts is stupid spam.
  8. Sydney
    Moves
    18 Mar '09 21:04
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    White has a piece for two pawns, but Black has more central space and pressure on d4 and b2.

White's King is stuck in the center.

White's Rook is on the g-file, but playing on the Kingside seems slow compared to black's central play.

If I am white, I am feeling a bit desperate here. Black is about to restore material equality with a seemingly better position.
    Given I can't make the sac on h7 work (although I would be tempted to try in blitz) white has a couple of alternatives: Continue to build pressure on the kingside while holding the centre (maybe doubling rooks on the g-file after the king is tucked away via Kf1), at an opportune time trade out to a superior endgame (moves involving Be5) or shift his attack to the queenside via Rf3.

While the d4 pawn looks vulnerable, white has some tricks up his sleeve because blacks d5 pawn is unsupported and could easily lead to the piece that takes on d4 being pinned with Bf3. It will take a few moves for black to collect on d4.

In my opinion the game still looks fairly even, maybe small advantage for white but still full of chances for both sides.
  9. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    19 Mar '09 19:59
    [fen]r4rk1/pp1b2pp/1qn2b2/3p1pN1/3PpB1P/8/PPN1BP2/R2QK1R1 w Q - 0 17[/fen]

White to move.
    White have piece for 2 pawns but they have problems to stop Black initiative in center and their king is unsafe (while its not obvious how to get him safe). Probably the best was to allow op activate g1 Rook by playing Rg3 (with Rb3 to follow).position would be very unclear with mutual chances. In the game White overrated their position and played greedy 17.Bd6? and after 17...Nxd4! 18.Bxf8 Bxf8 White had Rook for 3 pawns but Black had serious initiative which was more than enough compensation for material - White had in serious trouble, but Black did not manage to exploit their advantage and lost.

Here is the game:
  10. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    19 Mar '09 20:01
    Next position to evaluate:

White to move
  11. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    25 Mar '09 14:094 edits
    Its obvious that Black will get their exchange back. The main question is "How?", because White has possibility to get their rook on 7th horizonatal with 20.Rxd7+ Kxd7 21.Rf7+ or 20.Rf7+ Kxf7 21.Rd7+. Other alternatives seems to be not promising for White as their pawn on e5 is weak and will be need to be protected. Also their queen side pawn structure is not too pleasant.

White considered that after 20.Rxd7+ Kxd7 21.Rf7+ Kc6 he can afford to take pawn on g7 which will give advantage. But Black had serious resource 22...Rd8! (it would work also after 20.Rf7+ Kxf7 21.Rd7+ Kg6 22.Rxc7 or 22.Re7 ) after which White are not able to prevent Black counter attack which seems to be more dangerous. This gives reason to consider Black position as better.

Here is the game (annotation is not full, because it was restored from my memory and I could not memorize all moves. Anyway in final position Black is winning):

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree