Elo Rating

Elo Rating

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

k

Moves
27 May 06

Is there an easy way to compare RedHotPawn ratings to official Elo rating.

Years back I had an Elo of about 1700. I I´m lucky I can play 1500 now. So I was just wondering what my corresponding RHP rating would be.

SS

Moves
27 May 06

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
27 May 06

Originally posted by kifosi

Years back I had an Elo of about 1700. I I´m lucky I can play 1500 now. So I was just wondering what my corresponding RHP rating would be.
there's no way. different player pool. ratings are meaningful only within the same pool of players.

CC is also so different compared to OTB that ratings vary a lot, +-400 points what I've seen so far. but if I was forced to guess, I'd say anything between 1500-1800. depends a lot of what kind of player you are. in CC there's time to calculate a lot, even if your opponent was 'weak'. here, mistakes will be caught.

just play until you stop being provisional (20 games) and you'll see where you'll end up.

SS

Moves
27 May 06

S

Moves
27 May 06

Ya......

OTB - CC are very different, afterall, give a monkey a typewriter and a thousand years he will eventually write a novel.

SS

Moves
27 May 06

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
27 May 06

Originally posted by kifosi

It really depends. RHP uses the ELO system to calculate ratings. So based on the method you would say equal. However in correspondence chess analysis is done on an analysis board, you can play out variations till you drop, in over the board chess your ability with analysing using mental arithmetic is the single thing that most determines your playing strength. So in cc your understanding of the position is more important as (at least in theory) you won't miss as much on the tactical side. So the same plus or minus about 400 depending on whether you get an advantage or disadvantage from the change in importance of the various skills you need to play chess.

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
27 May 06

Originally posted by Sicilian Smaug
I think you mean a million monkeys. I can't see one monkey writing a novel in a thousand years. The monkey would die anyway.
I don't think it matters, if you give a monkey a typewriter what you'll get is a broken typewriter...

T

Moves
28 May 06

off topic i know, but ive heard randomly dropping scrabble letters till they form the sentence "to be or not to be that is the question" would take well over 1000 years, so that monkey would need to write the novel with the intention of writing the novel, something i dont think a monkey is capable of.

p

Moves
28 May 06
1 edit

Originally posted by TheDarkKnight
off topic i know, but ive heard randomly dropping scrabble letters till they form the sentence "to be or not to be that is the question" would take well over 1000 years, so that monkey would need to write the novel with the intention of writing the novel, something i dont think a monkey is capable of.
What if it was the Poe of all monkeys? It might not be a very good novel, but I think it would still be a New York Times bestseller. Or the New New York Times in the future.

By the way, what is with New York Times bestsellers? Nearly every book I read has it at the top. It has lost all semblance of credibility for me (not that it had any to begin with).

T

Moves
28 May 06

i dont think there is a poe of all monkeys, but who knows.

t

Moves
30 May 06

My rating sucks, but thats due to my lack of skillz. I'm about 1050 here, if I were OTB, are we saying that I'd be higher or lower than my RHP rating?

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
30 May 06

Originally posted by tsantsa
are we saying that I'd be higher or lower than my RHP rating?
that's precisely what we are not saying.

N

The sky

Moves
30 May 06

Originally posted by tsantsa
My rating sucks, but thats due to my lack of skillz. I'm about 1050 here, if I were OTB, are we saying that I'd be higher or lower than my RHP rating?
Most likely you would be higher or lower than your RHP rating, yes.

V

Moves
30 May 06
2 edits

Originally posted by Nordlys
Most likely you would be higher or lower than your RHP rating, yes.
😀