Draws

Draws

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Devout Agnostic.

DZ-015

Moves
09 Oct 06

I found that as a novice (comparatively), most of my games reach a conclusion, be it win, or loss. I have noticed, however, many of the games that GM's play end in a draw. . .How many games do you draw ?
I'm just wondering at what stage inthe game do you decide to work towards a draw instead of a win ? I have found my draw rate has increased as i get better.

TokerSmurf

Bonnie Scotland

Moves
09 Oct 06

Originally posted by huckleberryhound
I found that as a novice (comparatively), most of my games reach a conclusion, be it win, or loss. I have noticed, however, many of the games that GM's play end in a draw. . .How many games do you draw ?
I'm just wondering at what stage inthe game do you decide to work towards a draw instead of a win ? I have found my draw rate has increased as i get better.
i rarely accept a draw (i tend to see it as a sign of weakness from my opponent to offer one - but i have been proven wrong) and never work towards one - but then i am only 1350-1400 ish

G
Mr. Shield

Moves
09 Oct 06

Originally posted by huckleberryhound
In 2 tournaments earlier this year which consisted of 14 total games, I drew 8.

Devout Agnostic.

DZ-015

Moves
10 Oct 06

I've just drawn another game, and have one draw refused that i know is going to end that way, I find it is the best result for games where i am a bishop or knight down.
I know i have only 19 draws, but i have had maybe 3 in the past 20 games which considering i have played 450 games, that is a veritable flood.

S

Moves
10 Oct 06

FICS -- Shinidoki's Standard Rating:

Won: 1519
Lost: 1656
Drew: 161

(total:- 3336)

My rating is around 1600-1700 90% of the time.

RHP --

Won: 62
Lost: 46
Drew: 10

So....draw's are rare at my level🙁

B

Moves
10 Oct 06

I'm a low 1300 ish player and draws are really rare at my level. I'd have no idea how to work towards a draw except for trading everything off.

Another reason is that there are so many blunders, once your opponent blunders away a piece you probably have sufficient power to force a win. Last reason, players at my level don't want to draw, they want to win. I had a game were I was up a rook, but by pushing too far I allowed a perpetual check, instead of taking it and drawing (I even offered the draw in advance to end a bit quicker) he decided to do something else and try to get the win.

Jew.

Moves
10 Oct 06

M
sorozatgyilkos

leölés ellenfeleim

Moves
10 Oct 06

When evenly matched opponents play "correctly," the games seldom have any content and frequently end in draws
Emanuel Lasker

F

Moves
10 Oct 06

This is one game that a draw saved me from a sure loss.
Game 2083605

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
10 Oct 06

I'm a mid 1500's player, and I have 134 wins, 93 losses and 12 draws.

F

Moves
10 Oct 06

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
I'm a mid 1500's player, and I have 134 wins, 93 losses and 12 draws.
I'm mid 1400 (peeked once at 1598) and have 114, wins, 53 losses and 6 draws.

There is certainly a correlation between rating and percentage draws.
When I'm getting better I'll have more draws relatively.

Jew.

Moves
10 Oct 06

M
sorozatgyilkos

leölés ellenfeleim

Moves
10 Oct 06

Originally posted by 7ate9
I have a new friend. How are you, having a good day?
Pretty good, thanks, 7ate9 !

DF
Lord of all beasts

searching for truth

Moves
10 Oct 06
1 edit

Won 216
Lost 26
Draw 37 (13.26% )

More draws than losses tells you something.

Take a draw if:
1. In an equal position any attempt to win will weaken your position and improve your opponents prospects (this can happen reasonally early in the game and you may still be in book);
2. You are worse but have counterplay giving chances of a perpetual, material win is your opponent does not play a forced move or a repetition then take it;
3. You are slightly worse against a weaker player who probably does not know how to win - offer it; or
4. You are in a technically drawn end game (eg K & 2N v K).

If you are much worse and have no drawing chances offering a draw mis, in my opinion, just rude.

z

Moves
10 Oct 06

Originally posted by Dragon Fire
Won 216
Lost 26
Draw 37 (13.26% )

More draws than losses tells you something.

Take a draw if:
1. In an equal position any attempt to win will weaken your position and improve your opponents prospects (this can happen reasonally early in the game and you may still be in book);
2. You are worse but have counterplay giving chances of a perpetual, ...[text shortened]... If you are much worse and have no drawing chances offering a draw mis, in my opinion, just rude.
I've been in a lot of technically drawn endgames lately. I have blundered 2 of them away due to blitzing the move as soon as the page loads.... =( I have also swindled a few people lately turning sure losses into draws. My favorite was in a recent OTB. My catalan went horibly wrong and I dropped the exchange on move 20. His 2 rooks opened up and decimated my position. However, in the ensuing checks, my king "wandered" to g6 where his pawns protected me for a turn. My excellent knight on d6 and rook on c7 forced a perpetual. Anyhow, if a higher rated player offers in a technically drawn position, I take it. If they are more than 100 points below me, I make them prove the draw.