checkmate with just the rook and king

checkmate with just the rook and king

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

c

USA

Moves
29 Jan 06

Originally posted by buffalobill
Yes it can, knight and bishop can't unless your opponent is stupid. Knight and Knight is hard, though.
Knight and bishop can force mate, two knights can't unless opponent is stupid

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
29 Jan 06

Originally posted by chesskid001
I didn't want to put it that harshly! That's why i simply mentioned that it not be forced without any "name calling"

t

my island

Moves
29 Jan 06

Originally posted by Sicilian Smaug
Kindly supplied by Ragnorak a while back Thread 32573
thank you, and ragnorak

excellent thread

S

Dublin

Moves
30 Jan 06

As a matter of interest, how 'stupid' do you have to be to get mated with 2 knights? It's one of those axioms you hear all the time but it's never come up in one of my games. Would you have to literally walk unassisted into a corner to get mated or is there a specific way you need to play to avoid the mate?

R
Godless Commie

Glasgow

Moves
30 Jan 06

Originally posted by Schumi
As a matter of interest, how 'stupid' do you have to be to get mated with 2 knights? It's one of those axioms you hear all the time but it's never come up in one of my games. Would you have to literally walk unassisted into a corner to get mated or is there a specific way you need to play to avoid the mate?
I think the defending side can be forced to the back rank or the a/h files, and the attacking side has their horses in the optomal setup. There then comes a point with the defending king on g1 (say), and one of the knights gives check.
The defending king can go to h1, but this allows a mate in 1 from the other horsey.
Or, the defending king can go to f1. Wiich doesn't.
It is that sort of order of stupidity.

S

Dublin

Moves
30 Jan 06

OK. That puts my mind at rest. The slagging I'd get if I messed that up would be unbearable!

F

Moves
30 Jan 06

Originally posted by FabianFnas
Just a rook? Not a king?
Then it is impossible for white to win.
But with a white king present a mate is not far away.

Originally posted by RahimK
You can't play with no king.
Exactly, you can't mate with no king!

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
30 Jan 06

Originally posted by FabianFnas
Exactly, you can't mate with no king!
Look person, You can't play a game of chess without the king. If you king is missing then you got mate and the game should stop!

Major Bone

On yer tail ...

Moves
30 Jan 06

You're right - I got it mixed up.

SS

Moves
30 Jan 06
1 edit

Hinesville, GA

Moves
30 Jan 06

Originally posted by trevor33
if the black king is in the middle of the board is it possible to avoid being mated if white has just a rook left?
Nooo!!! Rook and king can always checkmate a king no matter where he's located!

Hinesville, GA

Moves
30 Jan 06

Knight and bishop is very complicated though. Most masters even call it a draw at that point. GM Ruben Fine was asked how to checkmate with a knight and a bishop. It took him about fifteen minutes before he discovered the 13 move checkmate. But, now, that's Ruben Fine. 🙂 I've tried it over and over, and still give up. I know how the theory goes though. The bishop's color. Must get the enemy king to one of those corners.

dsR

Big D

Moves
30 Jan 06

Originally posted by Redmike
I think the defending side can be forced to the back rank or the a/h files, and the attacking side has their horses in the optomal setup. There then comes a point with the defending king on g1 (say), and one of the knights gives check.
The defending king can go to h1, but this allows a mate in 1 from the other horsey.
Or, the defending king can go to f1. Wiich doesn't.
It is that sort of order of stupidity.
A King and two Knights can only mate if the opposing side has one more piece, but not always. The endgame composer Troitsky produced many studies consisting of a King and two Knights vs. a King and Pawn that ended in mate; so at a minimum, the defending side must have at least a pawn in order for a checkmate to occur. As a side note, a King and two Knights vs. a lone King can never end in mate but it can end in stalemate.

E3

Moves
31 Jan 06

Going back to the original question; with K & R v K it is possible to force mate on any particular edge square that is designated. Not of
any practical use in play, but shows how strong the Rook actually is,
and is an amusing but not very difficult puzzle.

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
31 Jan 06
1 edit

Originally posted by powershaker
Knight and bishop is very complicated though. Most masters even call it a draw at that point. GM Ruben Fine was asked how to checkmate with a knight and a bishop. It took him about fifteen minutes before he discovered the 13 move checkmate. But, now, that's Ruben Fine. 🙂 I've tried it over and over, and still give up. I know how the theory goes though. The bishop's color. Must get the enemy king to one of those corners.
Perhaps you should show these GMs that are agreeing to a draw with KBNK Ragnorak's thread on the subject (Thread 32573). While in some positions it is a very difficult task for a human to force a mate against perfect play without exceeding the 50 move rule (it can be done, the longest with perfect play is 33 moves but I doubt anyone could play it over the board) humans don't play perfect defence. I've seen showboating 1700 players deliberately trade to this endgame and then finish off the opponent just because they can (I also saw someone attempt to do similar by promoting a pawn to a bishop to showcase the two bishop endgame except he messed up and had two bishops the same colour).