A thought, to catch out machine cheats...

A thought, to catch out machine cheats...

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

P

The Ghost Bishop

Moves
02 Jan 12

Originally posted by Zygalski
One of the former game Mods is the author of the program. It was used freely by all game Mods.
The issue with banning obvious cheats wasn't one of lack of tools or ability to implement them correctly by the Mods. Unfortunately the problem lies elsewhere.
If its at all possible.. I'd like to get my hands on the software to help find cheats. I'll probably be removed from the site shortly after getting it - but I'd be willing to stir the martini.

It sounds as if it needs a real good stir.

Q

t

Moves
02 Jan 12

Originally posted by PhySiQ
If its at all possible.. I'd like to get my hands on the software to help find cheats. I'll probably be removed from the site shortly after getting it - but I'd be willing to stir the martini.

Q
Sorry... I like mine shaken, not stirred. 😀

s
515 + 30 days

Syver Yurt TC

Moves
02 Jan 12
1 edit

Originally posted by elady
.......is it possible NOW to bring Ironman31 back? I'd like to learn Dutch defence. He played it every time against d4 or c4.
He's been back for some now and comfortably ensconced amongst the other 'born agains' in Clan Metallica. When I became aware of that I booted him from SY Tram Crash.

skeeter

Duckfinder General

223b Baker Street

Moves
02 Jan 12

Originally posted by PhySiQ

Q
It needs a stir.. a shake.. and ooohhhh the okie kokie kokie. I don't think owning an engine or doing matchup analysis is against the TOS. Publishing the findings may be sailing a bit too close to the wind.

D

Moves
02 Jan 12

Originally posted by atticus2
Before we go any further, Squelchbelch = Zygalski. And his match-up methodology, same as used by the Mods, has been widely debated, openly discussed, criticised, disputed, pulled to pieces and scoffed at - and still busts cheats convincingly.

As Zygalski says, the problem lies not in the technology, nor in the volunteer efforts of the Mods but - and this ...[text shortened]... up even the most blatant cheats. And they don't come more blatant than the top group on Page 1
I'll probably get a forum ban for this, but it's worth it. How about I make a deal with the site owners and mods: Ban Time Bandit and I'll buy a subscription to make up for the lost revenue. He's been abrasive and rude to many players, accused my friend of cheating, and then miraculously jumps from 1120 to 1900 in less than 90 days. Then he quit his clan because the leader asked him how he improved so rapidly - clear cut case of caught out and lashing out.

Yeah, it's a big accusation, but losing my privelages in here/being booted from RHP is worthwhile simply to say - Time Bandit is obviously a machine cheat.

u
semper fi

Moves
02 Jan 12

Originally posted by DR85
I'll probably get a forum ban for this, but it's worth it. How about I make a deal with the site owners and mods: Ban Time Bandit and I'll buy a subscription to make up for the lost revenue. He's been abrasive and rude to many players, accused my friend of cheating, and then miraculously jumps from 1120 to 1900 in less than 90 days. Then he quit his clan becaus ...[text shortened]... ing booted from RHP is worthwhile simply to say - Time Bandit is obviously a machine cheat.
Time Bandit is definately cheating. He can cry foul all he wants to. The site needs to do something about this.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
02 Jan 12

Originally posted by usmc7257
Time Bandit is definately cheating. He can cry foul all he wants to. The site needs to do something about this.
I've just had a game, and the associated messages, with this doorknob. He asks me during our game if i could make more moves, needless to say i started moving slower after that. When i noticed this miraculous rating climb of his i issued a FPT and then moved even slower.

He resigned the game claiming i was 'taking too long'. That's a first for me.

Moves
02 Jan 12

Originally posted by DR85
I'll probably get a forum ban for this, but it's worth it. How about I make a deal with the site owners and mods: Ban Time Bandit and I'll buy a subscription to make up for the lost revenue. He's been abrasive and rude to many players, accused my friend of cheating, and then miraculously jumps from 1120 to 1900 in less than 90 days. Then he quit his clan becaus ...[text shortened]... ing booted from RHP is worthwhile simply to say - Time Bandit is obviously a machine cheat.
If he's abusive, someone should send feedback on that. He'll get banned a lot faster for abuse than for "getting assistance".

D

Moves
02 Jan 12
4 edits

@Erekose, the trouble is he's rude but perhaps not 'abusive' per se, just very pushy, arrogant and unpleasant. There have been a number of threads about this player, here is the most relevant one I can find:

http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=132712&page=1

He told my OTB sparring partner (during a RHP game) that one simply doesn't 'get good' at Chess over night and that my friend's (slight) improvement at the time was a 'crock.'

Few months later he rockets up to near 2000 level, and that's the part that upsets me most - why should people pay to play against machines? Crafty and Arasan are free, and they won't abuse you for taking too long to move. He's basically just an angry chess engine now.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
02 Jan 12
1 edit

For a laugh here's the recent exchange of messages between me and this pecker. He sent me this one after resigning in our game -

You might consider changing your number of moves to one every few days instead of multiple a day. I got sick of waiting for you which I believe is exactly what you wanted. Enjoy your win because you will never get another from me!

Unfortunately he had me on ignore so i sent my message through an intermediatry

The time parameters for our game were 3/7, they were set by you. I moved within those time limits, i fail to see what you're whinging about. I do find it rather bizarre that someone who has won 174 games by timeout, which amounts to 33% of your wins, should have the audacity to complain about a fellow players move frequency. Also, you could have at least the common decency to let me respond to your message in person, instead you left me on your ignore list and i have to drag my good friend *** into this charade.

I then got sent this -

You got the win...why are you complaining? I got sick and tired of waiting for you to move. I asked you nicely early on in our game if you could speed up your moves. Afterall, your settings state you make several moves daily; not a move every several days! Your comment was: "I'll move when I move". Pretty disrespectful and uncalled for if you ask me. I simply got tired of waiting for you to make moves so rather than allow you to drag the game out another month, I gave you the win. Then you have the audacity to involve a friend in our dog fight? Looks like he might get more out of this than he bargained for. I can't be held responsible for an ill advised move on his part. As for you...you got the win; enjoy because, like I said before, you won't get another opportunity. Now please just...go away!

And the person who acted as a nmessneger got this -

Listen...whoever you are, you have stuck your f****** nose someplace it does NOT belong! I have no idea who you are or what you want but I'm assuming you're speaking for Proper Knob? If so, I guess he forgot to tell you I resigned and gave him the game. So first of all, you don't have a dog in this fight and second of all, he should be freaking happy and not whining through some moron buddy!

and this -

Last but certainly not least, if this is in reference to the moron Proper Knob, I asked him nicely two weeks ago when he planned to move in our game because I noticed he was playing other games but not ours. He has his time set as multiple moves per day; not one move multiple days. What did he respond: "I'll move when I move". I got sick and tired of his childish stall tactics so gave him the game and now he has the audacity to whine through some moron friend who should have had better sense than to let someone drag him into a complaint that has been filed with team reps!

What a tool.

D

Moves
02 Jan 12
2 edits

If that's not abuse I don't know what is...I wonder why he set the game at 3/7 if he wanted to play a Blitz match. I can see him now, sitting behind his computer, waiting anxiously for you to move, getting more steamed up and angry by the second.

PS: Greets from Truro me 'ansome.

a

THORNINYOURSIDE

Moves
02 Jan 12

Originally posted by Proper Knob
For a laugh here's the recent exchange of messages between me and this pecker. He sent me this one after resigning in our game -

You might consider changing your number of moves to one every few days instead of multiple a day. I got sick of waiting for you which I believe is exactly what you wanted. Enjoy your win because you will never get an ...[text shortened]... ag him into a complaint that has been filed with team reps!

What a tool.
Surely the tool is yourself for using a third party to contact and harass another player who has you on ignore.

The whole idea of using the ignore function is to prevent players contacting you.

When that gets circumvented it is wrong.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
02 Jan 12

Originally posted by adramforall
Surely the [b]tool is yourself for using a third party to contact and harass another player who has you on ignore.

The whole idea of using the ignore function is to prevent players contacting you.

When that gets circumvented it is wrong.[/b]
Harass?! LOL!!!

e

Jerusalem

Moves
02 Jan 12

Originally posted by skeeter
He's been back for some now and comfortably ensconced amongst the other 'born agains' in Clan Metallica. When I became aware of that I booted him from SY Tram Crash.

skeeter
R U sure?

s
515 + 30 days

Syver Yurt TC

Moves
02 Jan 12

Originally posted by elady
R U sure?
Positive and he knows that I know and so does shortcircuit know that I know he knows.

skeets