checkmate with just the rook and king

checkmate with just the rook and king

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

t

my island

Moves
29 Jan 06

if the black king is in the middle of the board is it possible to avoid being mated if white has just a rook left?

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
29 Jan 06

Originally posted by trevor33
if the black king is in the middle of the board is it possible to avoid being mated if white has just a rook left?
Yes, he can and will be mated!

Rook and King vs King - Mate
2 Rooks and King vs King - Mate
Queen and King vs King - mate
2 bishop and King vs King - mate
2 knight and king vs King - mate can't be forced expect if there are some pawns.

knight and bishop and king vs king - mate but hard

F

Moves
29 Jan 06

Just a rook? Not a king?
Then it is impossible for white to win.
But with a white king present a mate is not far away.

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
29 Jan 06

Originally posted by FabianFnas
Just a rook? Not a king?
Then it is impossible for white to win.
But with a white king present a mate is not far away.
You can't play with no king.

SS

Moves
29 Jan 06

Major Bone

On yer tail ...

Moves
29 Jan 06

Originally posted by Sicilian Smaug
I once got mated by 2 knights and a king in a blitz game😳 I just seemed to accidently place my king in exactly the right spot for him. Dont beleive that can be forced though
Yes it can, knight and bishop can't unless your opponent is stupid. Knight and Knight is hard, though.

t

my island

Moves
29 Jan 06

can a knight and a bishop force a mate?

Major Bone

On yer tail ...

Moves
29 Jan 06

No. It's a very simple mate - just may take a few moves.

SS

Moves
29 Jan 06

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
29 Jan 06

Originally posted by Sicilian Smaug
I thought it was the other way round. Knight and Bishop is hard but can be forced and two knights cannot be forced unless the opponent puts his king in the wrong position.
King and bishop and knight can be forced and isn't hard but diffucult to learn at first, just needs time and patience and has to be under the 50 move rule.

king and 2 knights vs a lone king can't be forced. Check any chess ending books and it will tell you this. Get you king to the middle of the board and keep him there. However if they are some pawns on the board then it's different.

SS

Moves
29 Jan 06

t

my island

Moves
29 Jan 06

Originally posted by RahimK
King and bishop and knight can be forced and isn't hard but diffucult to learn at first, just needs time and patience and has to be under the 50 move rule.

king and 2 knights vs a lone king can't be forced. Check any chess ending books and it will tell you this. Get you king to the middle of the board and keep him there. However if they are some pawns on the board then it's different.
how do you force a mate with just the bishop, knight and kings left?

dsR

Big D

Moves
29 Jan 06
1 edit

All of you that don't know the minimum force necessary to deliver checkmate should really consider reading Fine's "Basic Chess Endings," or Averbakh's "Chess Endings: Essential Knowledge," before playing one more game.

SS

Moves
29 Jan 06
4 edits

W
Angler

River City

Moves
29 Jan 06

RK vs K Mate in 16
QK vs K Mate in 10
BBK vs K Mate in 19
BNK vs K Mate in 33
NNK vs K Draw
NNK vs KP Checkmate can be forced in some circumstances

All these should be practiced against Fritz until they can accomplished in under one minute while asleep or inebriated.