1. e4
    Moves
    31 Dec '22 15:10

A Happy New Year.

It starts with a wee look back at some of the blogs 2022 opening skits.

The picture of a super-duper prize for a 2023 competition. I picked it up for £2.00.
    It is brand new. I’ve said this before 100 times. Never walk past a 2nd hand shop.
    I’ve not yet decided on the competition but it will be something odd (any ideas?)

Then a RHP game where once again I warn you about having ideas in your games.

mazattack - albinos RHP 2009

White has the ideal set up from a John Love book I am also discussing in the blog.

It’s Black to play, can you see what was the reasoning behind Black’s idea 10...c6.
    Can you also see what is wrong with it. Let your opponent think up ways to lose.

Then a selection of RHP games with players not ‘pausing before promoting.’
    In these cases the promoting players walked in a Knight checkmate in one move.

We end with carles - taheri RHP 2007. Both players think they have outwitted the other.
    But an under promotion, obviously seen by one player and missed by the other won it.

Blog Post 541
  2. Standard memberEndLame
    👌
    Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Jan '23 00:581 edit
    @greenpawn34

Happy New Year!!

Tal book you say? 🤔
  3. Joined
    15 Dec '20
    Moves
    01 Jan '23 17:38
    Hi Geoff,
    I've seen "ideal" opening setups similar to the one given by John Love. But I would have liked to see a beginners book suggest that White advance one of the bishop's pawns also (creating a pawn front along the c- through e-files or along the d- through f-files). That way, if Black bypasses when White advances a center pawn to the fifth rank, White has another way to quickly create pawn tension and force a file half-open. This teaching approach would foster an appreciation for activating one's rooks, which I've found to be lacking even in most tournament players.

This contrasts with the pawn structure reached after White's 10th move in the cited game mazattack - albinos (RHP 2009), where if White were to advance a center pawn to the fifth rank, Black's pawn on the other central file could bypass, and White would need several tempi to create pawn tension in the locked center.

My other comment concerns the cited position from villainll - Steve in Sharm (RHP, 2017).

You write, "All White need do is 65.Nd5+ and then promote." But after 65...Kb3 66. a8(Q), Black has 66...Nd3+ 67. Kd2 c1(Q)+. I think White can win after 65...Kb3 by controlling the checking square d3, by playing either 66. Nb4 or 66. Nf4. But simpler seems 65. Nb5+, because 65...Kd3 would occupy the potential checking square and 65...Kb3 would permit 66. Nd4+ and 67. Nxc2.
  4. e4
    Moves
    02 Jan '23 11:311 edit
    Hi David.

Pawn levers with f4 and c4 are instructive. The f-pawn push in particular is the
    bogey. Countless games have been lost by players being what Rowson calls
    trigger happy with the f-pawn. (Chess for Tigers) hot forgetting countless games
    have been won with a well time push of the f-pawn.

I mentioned Rowson and the f-pawn with some basic RHP examples in Blog Post 470
    (I also covered pausing before promotion.)

Regarding villainll - Steve in Sharm RHP.2017.
    Yes I should have added that after 1.Nd5+ Kd3 2.Nb4+ and Nxc2 or 1...Kb3 2.Nf4 to
    stop Nd3+ and then promote. (I should have paused before posting!)
    Good to see someone is paying attention and keeping an eye on me.
    Happy New Year.

I
  5. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    02 Jan '23 22:09
    @greenpawn34

Thank you for your amusing and instructive blog posts.

Wishing you and yours all the best in the New Year!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree