1. e4
    Moves
    21 Aug '22 14:54

Years ago I read that a young Fischer was amused by chess cartoon in MAD magazine.
    I read it being described as two old men playing chess and of them had fallen asleep.
    I came across a 1957 MAD, it has a chess cartoon in it but not with the players sleeping.

This one is Capablanca playing 100 players in a blindfold simul and losing every game.

Then onto Sci-Fi books with a chess theme and then chess book titles I’d like to see.

The instructive bit is Black traps that work for White with a position that has appeared
    on RHP 15 times and nobody has sprung the trap. I use an excellent OTB game to show it.

Then some recent examples of RHP players not pausing before promoting a pawn.
    (yes the usual batch of needless stalemates but a couple actually ended in a checkmate.)

Finally another OTB game to cheer up all those who never paused before promoting.

Blog Post 528
  2. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    21 Aug '22 17:36
    @greenpawn34 said

Years ago I read that a young Fischer was amused by chess cartoon in MAD magazine.
    I read it being described as two old men playing chess and of them had fallen asleep.
    I came across a 1957 MAD, it has a chess cartoon in it but not with the players sleeping.

This one is Capablanca playing 100 players in a blindfold simul and losing every game.

Then ...[text shortened]... cheer up all those who never paused before promoting.

Blog Post 528
    Years ago I read that a young Fischer was amused by chess cartoon in MAD magazine. I read it being described as two old men playing chess and of them had fallen asleep. I came across a 1957 MAD, it has a chess cartoon in it but not with the players sleeping.

MAD came out with another cartoon in the 60's. 2 old guys playing chess with cobwebs draped around their heads. They said the guy on the left had been dead for 2 weeks. This is why checkers sells just as well as chess in America. It's country of big waste lines and small attention spans. 😕
  3. e4
    Moves
    21 Aug '22 19:221 edit
    Thanks mchill I'll look out for that one next time I go surfing about for back issues.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree