Handy household hints.

Handy household hints.

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PoPeYe

This is embarrasking

Moves
25 Apr 14

Tooth paste makes a good spackling compound to cover small nail holes before painting a wall.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
25 Apr 14
1 edit

Originally posted by cashthetrash
Tooth paste makes a good spackling compound to cover small nail holes before painting a wall.
Gillette, Bic or any other Flex 4-Track Shaving Blade kept immersed in Baby Oil between shaves will remain razor sharp indefinitely. Apparently the oil minimizes/prevents oxidization. I shaved this morning with the same blade first used last July.

Read a book!

Moves
25 Apr 14

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
Gillette, Bic or any other Flex 4-Track Shaving Blade kept immersed in Baby Oil between shaves will remain razor sharp indefinitely. Apparently the oil minimizes/prevents oxidization. I shaved this morning with the same blade first used last July.
Did you trip over your beard on the way to the bathroom?

d

Moves
25 Apr 14

DryDex costs $2

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
25 Apr 14

Originally posted by HandyAndy
Did you trip over your beard on the way to the bathroom?
No facial hair (beard, moustache, Elvis Sideburns or Sid Caesar combed back eyebrows) my entire life. Clean shaven.

PoPeYe

This is embarrasking

Moves
25 Apr 14

If a screw come loose in a door hinge and will no longer grip the wood. Try gluing a single wooden end of a match stim into the hole. Let the glue dry and break off the match head flush with the hole then reapply the screw. Works great in other applications as well.

Moves
25 Apr 14

If a screw come loose in a door hinge and will no longer grip the wood. Try gluing a single wooden end of a match stim into the hole. Let the glue dry and break off the match head flush with the hole then reapply the screw. Works great in other applications as well.
If you spill red wine on a carpet drink a bottle of white wine and you don't care.

d

Moves
25 Apr 14

I like that one!

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
25 Apr 14

Originally posted by Great Big Stees
If you spill red wine on a carpet drink a bottle of white wine and you don't care.
I second that emotion/sorry 2 coats I second that emulsion

Moves
25 Apr 14

Don't use Polyfilla, use Easyfill which is easier to apply, to sand and it dries quicker.

In your face

Moves
25 Apr 14
1 edit

No need for glue. The screw will grip in place regardless.

itiswhatitis

oLd ScHoOl

Moves
25 Apr 14

Originally posted by Sicilian Sausage
Works using only glue too. Work the glue into the hole or put some on the threads (or do both), then wipe off the excess after reinserting the screw. If the hole is too damaged to hold with just glue then using a matchstick or some other wooden splint is the way to go.

C
Cowboy From Hell

American West

Moves
26 Apr 14

Originally posted by Sicilian Sausage
I use one or two toothpicks, snap them off to length, no need to use glue, so you can disassemble and reassemble it later if needed. I've done this many times. Often a few strands of copper wire will tighten up machine threads in metal. Wallowed out holes in sheet metal can often be peened back into a tight fit, remove screw and peen the surface the threads bit into with a hammer and dolly.

PoPeYe

This is embarrasking

Moves
26 Apr 14

For those of you who still iron cloths, here is a handy hint.

To help the hot iron glide across the cloth more smoothly place a small sheet of wax paper out on the board and glide the iron across it first. Move the paper out of the way to reuse later. The small amount of wax will then lubricate the iron. I think you will be happy with the results.

As for staining I've never noticed a stain. But be your own judge and try it at your own rick when using on delicates.

Constant Gardener

The Plot

Moves
26 Apr 14