Spring Cleaning

Spring Cleaning

Announcements

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
15 Mar 13
5 edits

At the time of the incoming site update going live a few things will be removed, as documented in this thread.

"PlayTheImmortalGame.com" is to be retired. This skinned version of RHP was created in 2006 to help promote the book "The Immortal Game". Very few people use it now, and it creates additional work, so it will be vanishing

The domain will continue to redirect to RHP in the future.

"timeforchess.com", "chessatwork.com" and "redhotchess.com" all will continue with the new site.

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
15 Mar 13
2 edits

mobile.redhotpawn.com will be removed in its current form.

iphone.redhotpawn.com will remain available.

A single replacement will appear on both of these domains in the future.

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
15 Mar 13
1 edit

A number of the supported "novelty" chess sets will be dropped. If you are one of the few people affected by this, you will be assigned another set by default. The list of culled sets will appear here shortly.

Read a book!

Moves
22 Mar 13

Originally posted by Russ
"PlayTheImmortalGame.com" is to be retired. This skinned version of RHP was created in 2006 to help promote the book "The Immortal Game". Very few people use it now, and it creates additional work, so it will be vanishing
Esthetically, I think PTIG has the most eye appeal of all the versions offered.

Would you consider transplanting the blue skin to one of the versions being retained?

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
22 Mar 13

Originally posted by HandyAndy
Esthetically, I think PTIG has the most eye appeal of all the versions offered.

Would you consider transplanting the blue skin to one of the versions being retained?
If others feel the same way as you, it can live on in some form. I honestly didn't think anyone would really notice if it went away.

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
22 Mar 13
1 edit

Status of the sets.

Sets will be removed where adoption is low and/or original contributors are not available to update their work.

rival Removed
medieval Removed
jap Removed
gopherr Removed
round Removed
halloween Removed

The following will be refreshed with a new design, but will retain similarities with the original.

news Redesigned
wood Redesigned

I have some very nice new sets to add though, so from the sacrifice of the above, there should be at least 3 additions.

Moves
22 Mar 13

If others feel the same way as you, it can live on in some form. I honestly didn't think anyone would really notice if it went away.
I am a PTIG devotee.....mainly based on the colour scheme as well. If you can keep the colours somehow I won't be disappointed.

K

Moves
23 Mar 13

I too use PTIG. Would be sad to see it go.

Senecio Jacobaea

Yorkshire

Moves
23 Mar 13

I'm a fan of the blue too!

Moves
23 Mar 13

Me too! I find the red of RHP and the yellow of CAW a bit garish - the blue of PTIG is relaxing.

Not that bothered about the name of the site, but please keep the blue!

Constant Gardener

The Plot

Moves
23 Mar 13

A stable personality

Near my hay.

Moves
23 Mar 13

PTIG for me right from the start! Please, please keep it.

Isolated Pawn

Wisconsin USA

Moves
23 Mar 13

Immortal Blue for supreme world leader!

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
23 Mar 13
2 edits

The following will be refreshed with a new design, but will retain similarities with the original.

[b]news
Redesigned
[/b]
Noooooooooo!!

I have *only* used the newspaper set since coming to RHP 8+ years ago. It is the exact same set used in most chess books... It is as familiar as an old friend. One reason I like it is because it does not crowd the squares with the pieces, the board never gets a "cluttered" look because of this. I hope that the new set will not be vastly different, only having "similarities" to the old set is not good enough! PLEASE, please keep this set!!

Already mated

Omaha, Nebraska, USA

Moves
23 Mar 13

I like PTIG the best. Keeing the color scheme would be fine.