Bans in private forums

Bans in private forums

Site Ideas

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Australian cat

Australia

Moves
13 Jul 09

Private forums are policed (moderated) by their group leaders and the levels of tolerance are what each group wants for them.

A person who gets a public forum ban, whatever the reason, also gets a private forum ban. This is like getting banned from the pub, then going home and finding the door bolted against you. Different location, different conditions. An offence in one place is not necessarily an offence in all places.

I don't believe that a person should be punished in public, then followed back to his home and punished again for an offence which he has committed only in the public place.

{Note: I am a current subscriber and as entitled as any other member to express my personal view in this forum.}

Moves
13 Jul 09

i've said this before.

the response i got was that receiving a ban in the private forums was supposed to act as a deterrent to getting a public forum ban.

Highlander

Planet Earth

Moves
13 Jul 09

I agree that private forums should be a separate issue & rec

s
515 + 30 days

Syver Yurt TC

Moves
13 Jul 09
4 edits

Argueably, I'm probably the best example of a lengthy forum suspension, ever, and therefore, again argueably, the best to offer this position.

If you transgress in the general fora and receive a suspension ( the merits for or against is not the issue here ) there could be a perception that there is no real penalty if you were then allowed to retreat to the sanctity of your private clan / club forums and so to continue the debate and / or perceived infractions, supposedly indifferent to and beyond the powers of the very people who originally determined that there was a valid reason for that suspension.

No penalty there, not one that has any impact as far as I'm concerned.

I didn't much miss the ability to post in the general fora - they're pretty much rubbish these days - what really hurt was the inability to post in my nominated clans and club private forums. That's the sting, and that, and that alone, needs to be in place to convey to those members who choose to breach the TOS with regard to forum posting, that that's the bottom line.

Change nothing. It's working.

I know that for a fact.

skeeter

Moves
13 Jul 09
1 edit

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
13 Jul 09

People are banned from forums for a reason, this proposes not banning anyone and then anything goes in the forums.

The forums then might be full of really bad stuff in the forum.

Some people have a ban, sit it out then come back, others just whine and moan. Do they learn a lesson this way - yes they do. If they could be allowed to post in the private forums then it makes it more hostile - the "groups" would become more defined

Queenslander

Tropical North

Moves
13 Jul 09

The post that was quoted here has been removed
Here's an idea for you...

Perhaps you can restrict your views/analogies to the title of the thread itself, without having a 'dig' at someone

d

Moves
13 Jul 09

Originally posted by skeeter
Argueably, I'm probably the best example of a lengthy forum suspension, ever, and therefore, again argueably, the best to offer this position.

If you transgress in the general fora and receive a suspension ( the merits for or against is not the issue here ) there could be a perception that there is no real penalty if you were then allowed to retreat to th ...[text shortened]... e bottom line.

I know that for a fact.

skeeter
100% agreed and recced.

d

Moves
13 Jul 09

Originally posted by Elamef37
Here's an idea for you...

Perhaps you can restrict your views/analogies to the title of the thread itself, without having a 'dig' at someone
And what exactly does this post have to do with the title of the thread?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
13 Jul 09

The post that was quoted here has been removed
rec'd

almost rec'd skeeter's post

Moves
13 Jul 09
1 edit

If you transgress in the general fora and receive a suspension ( the merits for or against is not the issue here ) there could be a perception that there is no real penalty if you were then allowed to retreat to th e bottom line.

I know that for a fact.

skeeter
If you enjoyed this post and believe it added value to the Time For Chess forums, then you can bring it to the attention of others by recommending it. Recently recommended posts can be read at anytime from the 'Recommended Posts' option on the forum menu.

You have made 3 recommendations of an available 30 in the last 30 days.

edit: 4 edits and still 'Argueably'

give me my rec back.

😏

Queenslander

Tropical North

Moves
13 Jul 09

Originally posted by darvlay
And what exactly does this post have to do with the title of the thread?
And why are you asking me a stupid question!

Australian cat

Australia

Moves
13 Jul 09

Silly analogies to supermarket aisles aside, the thoughtful responses here have persuaded me to modify my views somewhat. Thanks particularly to skeeter.

B
Death

is no semi-colon

Moves
14 Jul 09

If you transgress in the general fora and receive a suspension ( the merits for or against is not the issue here ) there could be a perception that there is no real penalty if you were then allowed to retreat to th ...[text shortened]... e bottom line.

I know that for a fact.

skeeter
common sense view. rec.

Moves
14 Jul 09
3 edits