1. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    28 Jan '22 10:52
    @suzianne said
    Russ, all Amazon tablets ARE Kindles, as that is native to all Amazon tablets.
    Ok, all Amazon tablets have the Kindle app, but a Kindle is an e-ink device, distinct from an Amazon tablet.

I will assume references to Kindle means an Amazon tablet from now on though, if that is how they are commonly referred to.
  2. Hill Country, Texas
    Moves
    28 Jan '22 12:11
    @Russ
    I use the default browser (Silk). Yesterday I started having problems on the forums.
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    28 Jan '22 22:161 edit
    @russ said
    Ok, all Amazon tablets have the Kindle app, but a Kindle is an e-ink device, distinct from an Amazon tablet.

I will assume references to Kindle means an Amazon tablet from now on though, if that is how they are commonly referred to.
    Yeah, okay, sorry to misspeak, I'm not sure the old e-ink devices could even access the internet.

I have one of the first generation ones and all it can do is access the Kindle site to buy more e-books.

The Fire is their tablet. They have color screens and can go anywhere on the internet a computer can. Being wi-fi based, I only use it at home. It is irritating that the Fire cannot use every Android app though. I've run into several that the Fire just cannot run, so there is something proprietary going on inside the Fire that differentiates it from fully Android tablets. I still have to try installing Firefox or Chrome. I'll let you know if I have any luck with that and if I still get the display problem then.
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    02 Feb '22 03:39
    Also, I tried to find a Firefox version for Amazon tablets but having problems finding one because Amazon likes to play the proprietary browser game. Similar luck with Chrome.
  5. Joined
    11 Nov '14
    Moves
    02 Feb '22 09:06
    @Suzianne
    Yes, same for me.
    This site has suddenly become almost unusable for Amazon fire tablets.
    Have finished all my games, and retire from the site.
  6. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    02 Feb '22 11:451 edit
    @blood-on-the-tracks said

This site has suddenly become almost unusable for Amazon fire tablets.
    Thank you Jeff Bezos!

I'll need to obtain a recent fire tablet to work out what is going on - my existing hardware is out of date and no longer receiving updates. Why didn't this happen on black Friday when they were giving these things away...!
  7. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    02 Feb '22 11:51
    I now have a new device on the way for tomorrow, and will find out what is going on. Please work around any issues in the mean time.
  8. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    03 Feb '22 20:171 edit
    Os 7.3.2.2 - I can reproduce the issue.

Browser window not repainting correctly.
  9. Hill Country, Texas
    Moves
    06 Feb '22 13:26
    @Russ Any idea yet on whether or not this issue is to be addressed? I normally use the Kindle to make my chess moves as I can sit in my recliner and don't have to sit in front of my desktop. Thanks. - David
  10. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    08 Feb '22 14:11
    I don't have a solution, unfortunately, as I have no idea what they changed on the Silk Browser to cause this issue.

My guess is they have tried to optimise performance for an underpowered device (Fire Tablets are great value, but hugely compromised on performance.) and they have got it wrong somewhere.

Frustrating that the issue was introduced - but that also means it could be patched by Amazon too on a future update.
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    26 Feb '22 21:14
    @russ said
    Os 7.3.2.2 - I can reproduce the issue.

Browser window not repainting correctly.
    Yes, that is exactly what the problem seems to be.
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    26 Feb '22 21:19
    @russ said
    I don't have a solution, unfortunately, as I have no idea what they changed on the Silk Browser to cause this issue.

My guess is they have tried to optimise performance for an underpowered device (Fire Tablets are great value, but hugely compromised on performance.) and they have got it wrong somewhere.

Frustrating that the issue was introduced - but that also means it could be patched by Amazon too on a future update.
    Too bad there doesn't seem to be any "Feedback" path to Amazon from the Fire tablets. I wonder if they are even aware of the problem, or care to correct an issue experienced by so few users. I don't experience this screen repainting problem on any other site (yet).

There *was* a fairly recent update. This is probably what caused this issue.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree