Vocabulary vs. Comprehensive Substance

Vocabulary vs. Comprehensive Substance

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
14 Feb 18

I am always tempted. Like some of the writers in these Forums... I have developed a debatable habit.

That of fetching obscure nouns and adjectives from the dustiest dictionaries on the bookshelf!

While I cannot deny that indulging in the practice satisfies my intellect; when I do, I do wonder if actual ideas are being conveyed.
The English language is potentially the most evocative on the planet.

But if my targeted readers just scroll past for lack of a hand-held thesaurus...what's the point?

Resident of Planet X

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
14 Feb 18

Originally posted by @wolfe63
I am always tempted. Like some of the writers in these Forums... I have developed a debatable habit.

That of fetching obscure nouns and adjectives from the dustiest dictionaries on the bookshelf!

While I cannot deny that indulging in the practice satisfies my intellect; when I do, I do wonder if actual ideas are being conveyed.
The English languag ...[text shortened]... ut if my targeted readers just scroll past for lack of a hand-held thesaurus...what's the point?
Fear not sir, some of us always have a hand-held thesaurus upon our personage.

Moves
14 Feb 18

Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
Fear not sir, some of us always have a hand-held thesaurus upon our personage.
😀 Indeed...pretense is more fun!
To hell with Orwell's Rules and Occam's Razor.
"If you've got it...flaunt it" baby...oh yeah!

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
14 Feb 18

Maybe you would enjoy Thread 175692.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
14 Feb 18

The English languag ...[text shortened]... ut if my targeted readers just scroll past for lack of a hand-held thesaurus...what's the point?
What is your improvinational quotient?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
15 Feb 18

Originally posted by @sonhouse
What is your improvinational quotient?
Is that where you make up what country you're from?

Moves
15 Feb 18

Originally posted by @suzianne
Is that where you make up what country you're from?
I'm from a State of Confusion.

Moves
26 Mar 18

The English language really doesn't make any sense at times, my favourite is live and live, how can two words which pronounced differently and mean different things be spelt the same?

Already mated

Omaha, Nebraska, USA

Moves
27 Mar 18

Originally posted by @trev33
The English language really doesn't make any sense at times, my favourite is live and live, how can two words which pronounced differently and mean different things be spelt the same?
Context, context, context

F

Moves
27 Mar 18

Originally posted by @coquette
Repeating this word in this way creates a new context for it.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
27 Mar 18

What about the oarsman and his wife who were rowing about who should do the rowing?

Gothenburg

Moves
27 Mar 18

Not quite on topic perhaps, but I wonder why - as in thread Last Word Sentences - it is often easier to make a new word starting at the end of the last word rather than the beginning?

Moves
27 Mar 18

Originally posted by @coquette
Tell that to someone learning the language, we're brought up with it and similar things but it makes it overly complicated for them.

Gothenburg

Moves
27 Mar 18

Tell that to someone learning the language, we're brought up with it and similar things but it makes it overly complicated for them.
It does, many things in English do. English grammar gets more complicated when you get into the language. It seems easy at first. When I studied English at school, we learned that it has few rules but many exceptions to them. You have to learn them by and by.

IP

Moves
27 Mar 18

There are many anomalies in the dear old English language, and I have made so bold as to compose a limerick concerning one of them, so with your permission;

If a womb is the place we begin it
And a tomb we put dead people in it
Then a comb should be coomb
And a bomb should go boom
It' a funny old language though, innit.