the Manson murders of the late 1960s

the Manson murders of the late 1960s

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
10 Apr 13
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
I will take the hint from Great Big Stees.

Like I said. Manson 1970. Operation Menu 1970
I hadn't heard of operation menu. Bombing the crap out of Cambodia. Nice. But it was a war, they weren't going after genocide. Not trying to rationalize it. I was there in 1970, well, 72 anyway, at a Thai air force base called Nakomphenom. Probably mis-spelled it. I saw some of the bombing the Thai air force did in Laos, it was frightening, I thought the war had come to northern Thailand.

Hey, I am not an apologist for any of that. I intensely dislike modern religions precisely for the reasons I stated. Islam, Christianity (Paulism), Hindu's, they all have crimes to answer for. I don't see ANY religion of peace on OUR planet. Maybe Baha'i. My daughter was one at one time and they seemed peaceful but they are few and far between in the peaceful religion spectrum.

F

Moves
10 Apr 13
2 edits

Originally posted by sonhouse
I hadn't heard of operation menu.
This has more or less been my point all along.

In 1970 America was enthralled by a taunting unrepentant celebrity murderer (later to become a kind of American pop culture anti-hero) who killed a couple of people, and countless outraged and morbidly fascinated Americans seemed - to the world - to be largely oblivious to the American slaughter going on elsewhere in 1970.

Here we are, 40 years later, and people are STILL fascinated by the celebrity murderer - being so more able to compute two deaths than they are able to compute two hundred thousand or two million - to the extent that they are curious about whether the world out here is STILL contemplating America's navel vis a vis the Manson murders. And there are Americans out there who are STILL saying "I hadn't heard of Operation Menu".

F

Moves
10 Apr 13

I intensely dislike modern religions precisely for the reasons I stated. Islam, Christianity (Paulism), Hindu's, they all have crimes to answer for. I don't see ANY religion of peace on OUR planet. Maybe Baha'i.
As far as I am concerned there is no religious angle to the topic being discussed here.

Moves
10 Apr 13

I hadn't heard of operation menu. Bombing the crap out of Cambodia. Nice. But it was a war, they weren't going after genocide. Not trying to rationalize it. I was there in 1970, well, 72 anyway, at a Thai air force base called Nakomphenom. Probably mis-spelled it. I saw some of the bombing the Thai air force did in Laos, it was frightening, I thought the wa ...[text shortened]... nd they seemed peaceful but they are few and far between in the peaceful religion spectrum.
All religions espouse peace/love. 😲😏

F

Moves
10 Apr 13

Whoops. OK. Two people now discussing religion. That constitutes a "religious angle". I stand corrected. πŸ™‚

Moves
10 Apr 13

Originally posted by FMF
Whoops. OK. Two people now discussing religion. That constitutes a "religious angle". I stand corrected. πŸ™‚
With your eye issues I find it hard to believe you could stand at all.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
10 Apr 13
3 edits

Originally posted by FMF
This has more or less been my point all along.

In 1970 America was enthralled by a taunting unrepentant celebrity murderer (later to become a kind of American pop culture anti-hero) who killed a couple of people, and countless outraged and morbidly fascinated Americans seemed - to the world - to be largely oblivious to the American slaughter going on elsewher . And there are Americans out there who are STILL saying "I hadn't heard of Operation Menu".
Hey, I was frigging THERE and didn't hear much about it, shows you the power of media. BTW, also, I wasn't enthralled by Manson, disgusted but not anal about it.

It looks like operation menu started years before, any count of how many killed by that action?

Hey Stees, anyone who has independent aiming of his eyes is ok in my bookπŸ™‚

Moves
10 Apr 13

Hey, I was frigging THERE and didn't hear much about it, shows you the power of media. BTW, also, I wasn't enthralled by Manson, disgusted but not anal about it.

It looks like operation menu started years before, any count of how many killed by that action?

Hey Stees, anyone who has independent aiming of his eyes is ok in my bookπŸ™‚
I too am fond of chameleons sir.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
10 Apr 13

Originally posted by Great Big Stees
I too am fond of chameleons sir.
Good thing you said 'Sir'πŸ™‚

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
10 Apr 13

Originally posted by FMF
Yeah, now it's a conspiracyπŸ™‚

Moves
10 Apr 13

Good thing you said 'Sir'πŸ™‚
I don't "know" you and I was always taught to treat people you don't know with respect unless they are dogmatic. You "sir" don't appear to be.

F

Moves
11 Apr 13

Hey, I was frigging THERE and didn't hear much about it, shows you the power of media.
Once again, this is more or less the point I have been making. Does the "power of the media" really STILL work - even 40 years later - to make, on one hand, Charles Manson a key "fascinating" story in 1970 [and STILL fascinating to some in 2013] and, the other hand, Operation Menu in 1970 something that Americans like yourself STILL had not heard about in 2013?

k
Flexible

The wrong side of 60

Moves
11 Apr 13

Originally posted by FMF
Once again, this is more or less the point I have been making. Does the "power of the media" really STILL work - even 40 years later - to make, on one hand, Charles Manson a key "fascinating" story in 1970 [and STILL fascinating to some in 2013] and, the other hand, Operation Menu in 1970 something that Americans like yourself STILL had not heard about in 2013?
I've never heard of op menu either but I was aware that the US had expanded the war into Cambodia as I believe did the vast majority of Americans, is this not a case of 'dog bites man' in terms of news worthiness vis a vis the 'man bites dog' story of the Manson family.

I think a bunch of deranged Hippies slaughtering a pregnant Hollywood princess was a watershed moment in terms of the relationship between youth culture in the west and it's host societies.

Do you find that Indonesian news outlets prioritise the news based on a body count with no regard to geography?

F

Moves
11 Apr 13

Originally posted by kevcvs57
Do you find that Indonesian news outlets prioritise the news based on a body count with no regard to geography?
Indonesian mass media has decades of hushing up atrocities by its own ruling regime under its belt and the media nowadays is cluttered up with celebrity-obsessing dross.

F

Moves
11 Apr 13
1 edit

Originally posted by kevcvs57
...is this not a case of 'dog bites man' in terms of news worthiness vis a vis the 'man bites dog' story of the Manson family.
I would say it was 'dog bites and kills millions of men women and children' as opposed to 'dog bites and kills a couple of women'. I am not convinced by your talk of a "watershed moment". I wonder how many Charles Manson-equivalents had free rein to do their 'dog bites man/man bites dog' stuff in south east Asia in 1970, with all manner of jobsworths in the woodwork back home insisting it was not "news worthy".