1. Standard memberAnitya
    Shoshin
    under a fig tree
    Moves
    25 Feb '21 14:59
    I love it when I see a post that makes no sense - just random words strung together - and then I see "1 edit".

Just 1?

Maybe another edit or two is in order?
  2. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    25 Feb '21 15:173 edits
    @they said
    I love it when I see a post that makes no sense - just random words strung together - and then I see "1 edit".

Just 1?

Maybe another edit or two is in order?
    Your post makes no sense, unless you are trying hard to stay in the right little group.

Then it makes a lot of sense.

Mentioning no names might be the smartest thing you said in your post! 🙂 😉

You've been here for so long too!!! 😉

You may want say something about 3 edits now! 😉 😛

-VR
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    25 Feb '21 16:12
    @fmf said
    Like I said. It seems you can't tell the difference between jokes - about things like someone saying their arms fell off because of a vaccination - and people lying about themselves because they feel empowered or liberated by online disinhibition. It just seems to me you're a bit silly.
    He explained it well.

If you cannot comprehend what was said, that is a matter for you.
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    25 Feb '21 16:13
    @fmf said
    [b]There are situations in which giving a dishonest account is not classified as lying because social rules have been constructed that define it as being a different behaviour e.g. the after dinner speaker or the humorous arms falling off story. Social rules evolve within the community and they are held as the community's truths so the idea that it is okay for the after dinner sp ...[text shortened]... to witter on about how you think fictitious elements of jokes are "lies", pitch it to someone else.
    Addressing four replies to him over one post doesn't hide the fact that you continue to miss his point.
  5. Standard memberAnitya
    Shoshin
    under a fig tree
    Moves
    25 Feb '21 16:331 edit
    @very-rusty said
    Your post makes no sense, unless you are trying hard to stay in the right little group.

Then it makes a lot of sense.

Mentioning no names might be the smartest thing you said in your post! 🙂 😉

You've been here for so long too!!! 😉

You may want say something about 3 edits now! 😉 😛

-VR
    Indeed I have. I just looked, I finished my first game at Red Hot Pawn Jan 2005. Not that it matters - but I have always been a paying member. I have always supported what I consider to be the best chess site on the web.

The world has changed a lot in 16 years. The General Forum - not so much.

1 edit - totally messed up the math.

A
  6. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    25 Feb '21 16:39
    @they said
    Indeed I have. I just looked, I finished my first game at Red Hot Pawn Jan 2005. Not that it matters - but I have always been a paying member. I have always supported what I consider to be the best chess site on the web (by my quick back of the envelope calculation a little over $5500 US).

A
    you've been overcharged or you have miscalculated

i forgive you
  7. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    25 Feb '21 16:401 edit
    @they said
    Indeed I have. I just looked, I finished my first game at Red Hot Pawn Jan 2005. Not that it matters - but I have always been a paying member. I have always supported what I consider to be the best chess site on the web (by my quick back of the envelope calculation a little over $5500 US).

A
    We must be looking at different forums, as this forum has changed a lot over the years. Did you notice the Moderators do not get involved in conversations which are combative? At one time they got involved and still had the power to put a ban on the person they were bantering with. That has changed! Has the bias disappeared completely? NO, it will always be around everyone is human and do take sides or a disliking to certain people. I had a long chat with Russ years ago about this. It was hard to argue with his point of view on it at the time. Yet things still did change over time, for the better in my humble opinion, and of course I always have an opinion!!! 😉

-VR
  8. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    25 Feb '21 16:431 edit
    @rookie54 said

i forgive you
    rookie,
    He may very well be back from when the site started only using a different username now which is permitted so long as he is only using one. He may have contributed to the site in the early days towards the bandwidth etc., etc., that goes with running a site.

-VR
  9. Standard memberAnitya
    Shoshin
    under a fig tree
    Moves
    25 Feb '21 16:51
    @rookie54 said

i forgive you
    oops - correct - I was thinking monthly not yearly - $30x16= $480 - that was sorta dumb.
  10. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    25 Feb '21 16:54
    @they said
    oops - correct - I was thinking monthly not yearly - $30x16= $480 - that was sorta dumb.
    sorta?....LOL....Misleading? up for debate! 😛 😉

-VR
  11. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    25 Feb '21 17:00
    @they said
    herein is one example of a miscalculation that is NOT a lie
    errors such as this (there will be numerous) must be disregarded after correction
    and not recalled ad infinitum and regurgitated for self-edification

lies are intentional
    miscalculations are just miscalculations
  12. Standard memberAnitya
    Shoshin
    under a fig tree
    Moves
    25 Feb '21 17:10
    @very-rusty said
    rookie,
    He may very well be back from when the site started only using a different username now which is permitted so long as he is only using one. He may have contributed to the site in the early days towards the bandwidth etc., etc., that goes with running a site.

-VR
    Also I prefer "they" to "He" - but that is a different thread for a different forum 😉

A
  13. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    25 Feb '21 17:12
    @they said
    Indeed I have. I just looked, I finished my first game at Red Hot Pawn Jan 2005. Not that it matters - but I have always been a paying member. I have always supported what I consider to be the best chess site on the web.

1 edit - totally messed up the math.

A
    Hate to agree with rusty, i mean hate but he's right (shivers) the general forum has changed a lot in the 16 odd years we've been here, now if you mean that it's mostly a lot of fighting then hasn't changed much just different posters.
  14. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    25 Feb '21 17:14
    @trev33 said
    Hate to agree with rusty, i mean hate but he's right (shivers) the general forum has changed a lot in the 16 odd years we've been here, now if you mean that it's mostly a lot of fighting then hasn't changed much just different posters.
    oh no oh no oh no
    trev, he will latch onto you like a parasite and drain you of yer life essence
    oh no oh no oh no

fire is the only way out
  15. Standard memberAnitya
    Shoshin
    under a fig tree
    Moves
    25 Feb '21 17:25
    @trev33 said
    Sometimes it pays to just stop digging the hole (they said while still digging), but yes you are both correct. It has changed - and frankly (ducking for cover) - it is not as interesting now since everyone got so nice and there are so many "Look at me! I'm a goof!" types these days. I miss the smart disagreements.

Luckily we still have some of that (you know who you are - smart people) and it is still interesting to visit on a daily basis. Thank you to all the smart posters who are actually trying to say something smart and/or funny.

So yes, what I really meant was there is still a bunch of pointless infighting and posters that no matter what the topic - immediately change it to themselves and their petty grievances with their made up enemies.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree