1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Jul '21 10:07
    @suzianne said
    Very funny that you claim I'm "playing the man", when you turn around and do that exact thing, to a degree even more than I have.
    I am giving you constructive criticism. That wasn't what you were doing with Eladar.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Jul '21 10:151 edit
    @ogb said
    are there players on this website who have female names but are really guys ??
    There was "Stella" recently - and 5-6 other accounts owned by the same person, some of which were 'female' - which drewnogal and divegeester exposed recently.
  3. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    27 Jul '21 10:262 edits
    @fmf said
    Is there, or is there not, a grain of truth in Eladar's observation from his conservative point of view?
    "From his conservative point of view". <---This right here is key.

Eladar isn't speaking objectively, he's coming from a biased, prepackaged viewpoint. This fact alone skews Eladar's views in a way that demands humanity be molded to fit his beliefs, rather than his beliefs being molded to fit humanity.

Eladar is wrong about gender identity being a "choice". Do you wake up in the morning and choose to feel like a male? No.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Jul '21 10:461 edit
    @vivify said
    Eladar isn't speaking objectively, he's coming from a biased, prepackaged viewpoint. This fact alone skews Eladar's views in a way that demands humanity be molded to fit his beliefs, rather than his beliefs being molded to fit humanity.
    The words above could just as well be talking about Suzianne.

And the cultural, moral and psychological changes in society that people like you and me and Suzianne would perhaps like to see, aren't going to be achieved by the "left" simply insisting that those they see as unenlightened just bend the knee, while being browbeaten for being "disgusting" and not an "intelligent human" etc. etc. ad nauseam.

Suzianne missed the chance to make the case. Other people are reading. Bashing Eladar isn't going to change minds.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Jul '21 10:53
    @vivify said
    "From his conservative point of view". <---This right here is key.
    It is indeed. Is Suzianne virtue signalling for the consumption of people who already agree with her point of view by sneering at the hapless Eladar who is perhaps the easiest target on this website? Or is she tackling the "conservative point of view" in a way that might affect the "conservative point of view"?
  6. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    27 Jul '21 11:101 edit
    @fmf said
    The words above could just as well be talking about Suzianne.
    Despite having the same religion as Eladar, Suzianne doesn't choose to discriminate against gays or transgendered people. She's taken a less subjective view than Eladar.

And the cultural, moral and psychological changes in society that people like you and me and Suzianne would perhaps like to see, aren't going to be achieved by the "left" simply insisting that those they see as unenlightened just bend the knee, while being browbeaten for being "disgusting" and not an "intelligent human" etc. etc. ad nauseam.

Agreed. But this is not specific to "the left", it's endemic with right-wingers as well.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Jul '21 11:13
    @vivify said
    Despite having the same religion as Eladar, Suzianne doesn't choose to discriminate against gays or transgendered people. She's taken a less subjective view than Eladar.
    "Less subjective"?
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Jul '21 11:15
    @vivify said
    You're right. But this is not specific to "the left", it's endemic with right-wingers as well.
    This is why I said, on the previous page, that "...in many ways, in terms of the discourse in this Trumpian public domain, [Suzianne and her] scorn-for-scorn's-sake approach, makes [her] little more than Eladar's counterpart."
  9. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    27 Jul '21 11:206 edits
    @fmf said
    "Less subjective"?
    Eladar's opinion on gays or transgendered people is subjective; it's based on his conservative Christian beliefs, like when the Bible refers to homosexuality as an "abomination".

Suzianne doesn't choose to regard homosexuality as evil and has chosen not to subject herself to certain fundamentalist doctrines; therefore, has more objective views on issues like homosexuality or being trans.

EDIT: I guess "less subjective" still implies some lack of objectivity. So I retract that statement.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Jul '21 11:331 edit
    @vivify said
    Eladar's opinion on gays or transgendered people is subjective; it's based on his conservative Christian beliefs, like when the Bible refers to homosexuality as an "abomination".

Suzianne doesn't choose to regard homosexuality as evil and has chosen not to subject herself to certain fundamentalist doctrines; therefore, has more objective views on issues like homosexuality ...[text shortened]...
    EDIT: I guess "less subjective" still implies some lack of objectivity. So I rescind that comment.
    What both Eladar and Suzianne are saying about homosexuality, for example, is subjective, in my view. In just the same way, I have subjective views about homosexuality. I don't try to bolster the traction of my viewn by declaring them to be "objective". That's never going to change anyone's view in order for it to match my own.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Jul '21 11:37
    @vivify said
    I don't think homosexuality is an abomination. But it's my subjective view. I don't see how it's "objective".
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Jul '21 11:40
    @vivify said
    Eladar isn't speaking objectively, he's coming from a biased, prepackaged viewpoint.
    I didn't say he was "speaking objectively".
  13. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    27 Jul '21 11:491 edit
    @fmf said
    I don't think homosexuality is an abomination. But it's my subjective view. I don't see how it's "objective".
    It all depends on how you arrived at your conclusion: was it because you thought about it logically or was it because you were raised to believe in ancient, fundamentalist beliefs?

Yes, all judgements are shaped by personal experiences. But as long as we keep striving for objectivity, being aware of our biases and continually making efforts to overcome them, that's all I can ask of anyone. I think Suzianne is closer to this goal, given her rejection of fundamentalist right-wing beliefs, than Eladar.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Jul '21 11:52
    Here is an objective fact about Christians and homosexuality in the U.S.

In 2014, 54% of Christians said they think it should be accepted, while 38% said they think it shouldn't. That's data from a Pew foundation survey.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Jul '21 12:01
    @vivify said
    It all depends on how you arrived at your conclusion: was it because you thought about it logically or was it because you were raised to believe in ancient, fundamentalist beliefs?
    Either way, it's subjective it's a synthesis of nature and nurture, and your resulting personal moral compass guides you.

"My ancient, fundamentalist beliefs are all true, so I am being objective when I explain and expound upon them."

"My modern, enlightened beliefs are the result of me thinking about them a lot, so I deduce that they are true, and I am being objective when I explain and expound upon them."

The word "Objective" is misused in both of these sentences.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree