Philip Schofield: the lies finally revealed

Philip Schofield: the lies finally revealed

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
356d

@ghost-of-a-duke said
It's illogical and poorly thought through.
I disagree. The ethical position is that the person in power rejects the advance otherwise they will be entering into a relationship in which they have some degree of control over the subordinate. And that is predatory by its very nature. It is a case of preying on the desire of a subordinate despite the power imbalance.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
356d

@fmf said
"Aliens"?
Humour alert!

F

Moves
356d

@ghost-of-a-duke said
What if the relationship is mutually wanted and results in marriage
Then the person in power should

[1] reject the relationship, or

[2] move him or herself to a different office if necessary where the power relationship no longer exists, or

[3] resign and then have a relationship.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
356d

@fmf said
I disagree. The ethical position is that the person in power rejects the advance otherwise they will be entering into a relationship in which they have some degree of control over the subordinate. And that is predatory by its very nature. It is a case of preying on the desire of a subordinate despite the power imbalance.
I think you are misappropriating/misunderstanding the term 'predatory,'

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
356d

@fmf said
Then the person in power should

[1] reject the relationship, or

[2] move him or herself to a different office if necessary where the power relationship no longer exists, or

[3] resign and then have a relationship.
More often than not (in the real world) it will be:

4: Keep the relationship secret.

F

Moves
356d
1 edit

@ghost-of-a-duke said
I think you are misappropriating/misunderstanding the term 'predatory,'
I don't think so. Subordinates are ethically off-limits. If, despite this, one opts to have sex with someone one has power or control over, it is at its very core, consciously or unconsciously, a predatory act, even if the subordinate is willing.

F

Moves
356d
1 edit

@ghost-of-a-duke said

Keeping it secret not only doesn't make it ethically sound, it actually increases the unethical nature of the impropriety. Would any favours the boss did for the subordinate be kept secret from colleagues in the workplace too?

F

Moves
356d

@ghost-of-a-duke said

If you mean, in the real world, people act in unethical ways, then of course: no disagreement.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
356d

@fmf said
I don't think so. Subordinates are ethically off-limits. If, despite this, one opts to have sex with someone one has power or control over, it is at its very core, consciously or unconsciously, a predatory act, even if the subordinate is willing.
Philip Schofield's brother was a predator. On that, we can agree.

F

Moves
356d

@ghost-of-a-duke said
Philip Schofield's brother was a predator. On that, we can agree.
That has never been in dispute.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
356d

@fmf said
If you mean, in the real world, people act in unethical ways, then of course: no disagreement.
Enter Philip Schofield. Like many before him, he foolishly entered a relationship with a younger colleague and lied to keep it secret. It cost him his job and probably some of his family/friends and certainly his reputation. It was an improper relationship, both for being a betrayal of his own wife and due to the relationship taking place at work.

What he isn't however is his brother. He hasn't committed a crime and the link in the OP between the 2 is an unfair one, and probably one that will push him over the edge.

F

Moves
356d

@ghost-of-a-duke said
Enter Philip Schofield. Like many before him, he foolishly entered a relationship with a younger colleague and lied to keep it secret. It cost him his job and probably some of his family/friends and certainly his reputation. It was an improper relationship, both for being a betrayal of his own wife and due to the relationship taking place at work.

What he isn't how ...[text shortened]... he link in the OP between the 2 is an unfair one, and probably one that will push him over the edge.
I haven't claimed that P. Schofield "is his brother".

F

Moves
356d

@ghost-of-a-duke said
What he isn't however is his brother. He hasn't committed a crime and the link in the OP between the 2 is an unfair one, and probably one that will push him over the edge.
What "edge"? Who?

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
356d

@fmf said
I haven't claimed that P. Schofield "is his brother".
You have linked the two with comparative language and Dive has waved the family genetics flag.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
356d

@fmf said
What "edge"? Who?
Social media is rife with posts tarring Philip with the same brush as his brother. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if (in a week or so's time) I wake up to some horrible headline about Philip Schofield.