Notable death

Notable death

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

D

Moves
31 May 21
4 edits

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
31 May 21

The post that was quoted here has been removed
Your on an English speaking site, did you not know how to translate?

-VR

Read a book!

Moves
31 May 21

@very-rusty said
Your on an English speaking site
You're too.

D

Moves
31 May 21
2 edits

Moves
31 May 21
1 edit

@very-rusty said

-VR
Très Rouillé, we are all on the internet now. Many people have translator extensions installed in their browsers for the languages they cannot already read with their retrograde meat skills.

Perhaps you might have at one time heard the Italian saying, "Traduttore, traditore"? An expansion on this is that there is no complete one-to-one overlap of identifiers, concepts and ways of thinking and expression between any two cultures, let alone among all of them.

Capu Zango, mi oto? 😉

Moves
31 May 21

@very-rusty said

-VR
Also, don't they teach French up there? I studied it voluntarily all the way down here in Florida. I remember meeting a Canadian immigrant in junior high who told me everyone had to learn French up there, but I think that would have been in the early 1970s.

F

Moves
31 May 21

Alix Dobkin, who has died aged 80 from a brain aneurysm and stroke, was an American folk singer and lesbian activist who coined the term “women’s music,” which morphed into its own genre. [The Guardian UK]

D

Moves
31 May 21

Moves
01 Jun 21
1 edit

Only by some, our dear flower of the Cosmoflorescence.

Snowflakes form and flowers fall, as do considerations. 😉

D

Moves
01 Jun 21
1 edit

D

Moves
01 Jun 21

F

Moves
01 Jun 21

Wilson Tjandinegara, the bilingual Chinese-Indonesian writer, died earlier this year. "[He] built bridges within Indonesia’s literary culture" according to an obituary @ the Inside Indonesia website. "It seems appropriate to translate his 2005 poem ‘Note to Self' (臩詞). To the best of my knowledge, it is the first English translation of this prolific and committed translator’s own work..."

‘Note to Self’

i’m a traveler in a rush
before night falls
i’ll make some headway
human life has its limits
literature is boundless
like a long-distance runner
in the final sprint
crossing the finish line
i have no time for
applause or boos."

"As a young man, he was reportedly deeply impressed by Chairil Anwar’s poetry and became, in literary matters, an autodidact, no doubt drawing from knowledge he acquired partly through the bookshop he operated from 1970 to 1995. Indeed, his involvement in literary circles did not begin until he was nearing 50, just as Suharto’s era was showing signs of weakening and restrictions on Chinese cultural activities loosened."

He was 75 years old.

Moves
01 Jun 21
1 edit

How should I know? Are you secretly a sock-puppet of @FMF?

Moves
01 Jun 21
2 edits

How dare you think you can speak on behalf of the Québécois, you resident algorithmic troll.

Poutine de greignard, your pity ploys were just a ruse all along. May eggs of evil hatch in your omelette pan.

D

Moves
01 Jun 21