Forum Confessions

Forum Confessions

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
03 Feb 13

Originally posted by Kewpie
Unfortunately, that information isn't in the public domain, and it'd be highly unlikely for people to provide the numbers themselves, I would think.

At what number level do you think we should declare "spam" ?
"At what number level do you think we should declare "spam" ?"

In one sense, the perennial issue resolves itself.
Unless "spam eaters" are ravenous, garbage threads die young.
I think.

Australia

Moves
03 Feb 13

It strikes me that most people who come to this forum seem to find a happy balance between posting for the sake of posting, without any reference to previous content, and not posting at all. It also depends on lifestyles, people who are not employed and also housebound may be more prolific posters, even if what they post isn't interesting to other people. For example, I rarely read, or post in, one of the interminable association-type threads which demonstrate "posting for the sake of posting" but I can't restrain myself from responding when someone posts arrant nonsense masquerading as real knowledge.

Taking a thread off-topic is another no-no, more disruptive than spamming. It can be done with good intentions, such as diverting the attention of a bully from his victim, but it's often done here as a "look at me! I'm more worthy of attention than this lot" activity.

Constant Gardener

The Plot

Moves
03 Feb 13

l

Moves
03 Feb 13

The post that was quoted here has been removed
I absolutely agree - long paragraphs and difficult words make me lose interest. I may use long paragraphs myself sometime but it's because I don't always find the right words. I want to keep it simple.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
03 Feb 13

Kewpie:

joined 1474 days ago
327 pages of forum posts, or 4905 posts
average posts per day = [b]3.33

If anyone else is interested in their own numbers I'd be happy to repeat the calculation exercise.[/b]
Do me pls!

Constant Gardener

The Plot

Moves
03 Feb 13
1 edit

Australia

Moves
03 Feb 13

Originally posted by divegeester
Do me pls!
Sorry, I've deleted my calculation sheet. You can do your own using nothing but two numbers you get from the Search Forums page.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
03 Feb 13
2 edits

"... wonder if that is how some of the posters here really express themselves."

Impossible to accurately assess true motives in this lifetime.

Speculating about reasons people behave as they do is a time waster.

People think, decide and act upon both inpulse and premeditation.

The premeditation may be selfless or self serving.

Intelligence varies. Higher it is, the greater the capacity for concealed deceit.

People expose themselves to criticism by being honest.

The strong say, "So be it". The weak whisper, "You, (deleted)".

Those with both practical intelligence and inner strength show compassion,

sometimes openly and at other times behind the scenes.

Few are in a league with Christ; Zorba and Popeye... quintessential free spirits.

Their octane is fueled by belief in the eternal and ultimate realities of life:

"I Am (without beginning or ending)." "Life's worth more than a Fig Leaf."

"I am what I am what I am", holding a can of spinach while singing to Olive Oil.

Enjoy!

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
03 Feb 13

Kewpie:

joined 1474 days ago
327 pages of forum posts, or 4905 posts
average posts per day = [b]3.33

If anyone else is interested in their own numbers I'd be happy to repeat the calculation exercise.[/b]
1st post - Aug. 8, 2005
Last post - Feb. 2, 2013
2714 days of posting

True, I joined in August 2003 but then forgot I was registered here for 2 years.
That would skew the results, so I just use 1st post to last post.

493 pages of forum posts = 7095 posts
doesn't include clan forum postings obviously

7095 posts / 2714 days = 2.616 posts per day

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
03 Feb 13

Originally posted by Suzianne

1st post - Aug. 8, 2005
Last post - Feb. 2, 2013
2714 days of posting

True, I joined in August 2003 but then forgot I was registered here for 2 years.
That would skew the results, so I just use 1st post to last post.

493 pages of forum posts = 7095 posts
doesn't include clan forum postings obviously

7095 posts / 2714 days = 2.616 posts per day[/b]
Yep, you dun a reel good job, Sis (2,616 post per day + sum non-net-sum zeero threads).

Constant Gardener

The Plot

Moves
03 Feb 13

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
03 Feb 13

Since the beginning of last year, yes, to be sure.

I think this year is still too young to tell yet.

Read a book!

Moves
03 Feb 13

For example, I rarely read, or post in, one of the interminable association-type threads which demonstrate "posting for the sake of posting" but I can't restrain myself from responding when someone posts arrant nonsense masquerading as real knowledge.
Posting just for the sake of posting? My goodness, what an unforgivable sin!

I assure you, madam, that I and most of the others who post in the word association threads do so because
we enjoy word games. It's only a harmless pastime requiring nothing more than a touch of creativity and a
sense of humor. I also find it a useful brain-jogger and change of pace between chess moves.

If you don't like the association threads, just ignore them. You remind me of the woman who hates broccoli
and complains to the restaurant owner that it's listed on the menu.

Incidentally, two of the games (A-Z and Z-A) were introduced by Phlabibit and Red Night, respectively, as
satirical jabs at the long-running Word Association Game. We adopted both threads, just to spoil the fun.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
03 Feb 13

Should we count the old people with new names, or just pretend they are really new people? πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜‰

Australia

Moves
03 Feb 13

Originally posted by HandyAndy
If you don't like the association threads, just ignore them. You remind me of the woman who hates broccoli and complains to the restaurant owner that it's listed on the menu.
That's a bit unfair. I wasn't complaining, I'm just disappointed that there isn't more variety in the active threads, that's all. Mostly I do just ignore them, and occasionally I even post in one.