Flynn Effect

Flynn Effect

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
28 Jul 16

Originally posted by lemon lime
Is not empirical evidence of what?
josephw's contention that "The reality is society is getting dumber".

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
28 Jul 16
3 edits

Originally posted by FMF
I think the nostalgia about these forums overrates what was actually going on and is propagated by those still here who are some combination of mean spirited, lumbering, malcontented and artless, and probably always have been. I think the forums were much of a muchness 10 years ago.
Sir,
As you asked someone else this question to a statement they made. What evidence do you have to back up what you are saying? Looks like just your own opinion to me. 😉 Have you ever been incorrect about ANYTHING???

Kind Regards,
Sincerely,
-VR

itiswhatitis

oLd ScHoOl

Moves
28 Jul 16

Originally posted by FMF
pffft...

I would definitely pay attention to the road in a self driving car.
Would you?

F

Moves
28 Jul 16
1 edit

pffft...

Would you?
It doesn't matter how you dice it, an anecdote about a guy in a self driving car running into a truck isn't empirical evidence of anything.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
28 Jul 16

pffft...

Would you?
Sir,
I certainly would be!! 😉

Regards,
-VR

F

Moves
28 Jul 16

Originally posted by Very Rusty
As you asked someone else this question to a statement they made. What evidence do you have to back up what you are saying? Looks like just your own opinion to me.
What else would it be in a conversation like this? Of course it's my opinion.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
28 Jul 16
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
What else would it be in a conversation like this? Of course it's my opinion.
Sir,
You were asking someone earlier in this thread if they have evidence. So they need evidence for their opion but you don't.....LOL...Funny stuff, I'd like to stay and play but I got an early day tomorrow.

Kind Regards,
Sincerely,
-VR

F

Moves
28 Jul 16

You were asking someone earlier in this thread if they have evidence.
lemon lime was responding to a post that was seeking empirical evidence. He mistakenly offered an anecdote instead. The Flynn Effect, for all its faults or overstated significance, is based on empirical evidence and not anecdotal evidence. You wittering on about how much better you think the forum used to be, and me commenting on how you are simply wittering on nostalgically, is not a disagreement that lies in the realm of empirical evidence.

itiswhatitis

oLd ScHoOl

Moves
28 Jul 16

Originally posted by FMF
It doesn't matter how you dice it, an anecdote about a guy in a self driving car running into a truck isn't empirical evidence of anything.
You said objective or empirical evidence.
Now you're insisting on only empirical evidence.

I knew long before ever hearing about an (avoidable) accident that I would keep my eyes on the road in a self driving car. Even with upgrades and refinements in this new technology situations can (and will) come up requiring some quick thinking and maneuvering on the part of the driver.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
28 Jul 16

Originally posted by FMF
What about it?

Complete sentences are a better measure of IQ, but I assume you'd disagree.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
28 Jul 16
1 edit

Sir,
As you asked someone else this question to a statement they made. What evidence do you have to back up what you are saying? Looks like just your own opinion to me. 😉 Have you ever been incorrect about ANYTHING???

Kind Regards,
Sincerely,
-VR
Apparently, he doesn't even need to be correct. All he needs is a talent at getting those with an even lower IQ to agree with him, much like a certain Republican nominee.

itiswhatitis

oLd ScHoOl

Moves
28 Jul 16

Originally posted by FMF
lemon lime was responding to a post that was seeking empirical evidence. He mistakenly offered an anecdote instead. The Flynn Effect, for all its faults or overstated significance, is based on empirical evidence and not anecdotal evidence. You wittering on about how much better you think the forum used to be, and me commenting on how you are simply wittering on nostalgically, is not a disagreement that lies in the realm of empirical evidence.
Oh good grief...

What say we all chip in and buy FMF a self driving car, with a built-in movie screen?

F

Moves
28 Jul 16

You said objective or empirical evidence.
Now you're insisting on only empirical evidence.

I knew long before ever hearing about an (avoidable) accident that I would keep my eyes on the road in a self driving car. Even with upgrades and refinements in this new technology situations can (and will) come up requiring some quick thinking and maneuvering on the part of the driver.
A single anecdote can't be objective evidence that society is getting dumber. Plenty of drivers were doing dumb things 10 yeas ago, 20, 30 or 40 years ago. Your anecdote about the dumb driver, at best, is objective evidence that there are still dumb drivers now. It certainly is neither objective nor empirical evidence that society is getting dumber.

F

Moves
28 Jul 16
1 edit

Originally posted by Suzianne
Apparently, he doesn't even need to be correct. All he needs is a talent at getting those with an even lower IQ to agree with him, much like a certain Republican nominee.
So do you think this forum was populated by a larger proportion of people who were "smarter" back then compared to now?

F

Moves
28 Jul 16

Oh good grief...

What say we all chip in and buy FMF a self driving car, with a built-in movie screen?
I think you've got yourself into a bit of a muddle about what constitutes objective and empirical evidence of a change or trend.