Flynn Effect

Flynn Effect

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
29 Jul 16

Originally posted by Suzianne
Someone's upset.
I don't think so somehow πŸ˜›

But I note that you have reduced yourself to posting the exact same catchphrases over and over again, robbie carrobie style. πŸ˜‰

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
29 Jul 16

You spend a lot of time on these forums spewing a lot of word salad that really says nothing at all.

Get back to me when you finally have something to say. And do try to make it about something that more people than just you are interested in.
It's funny, this forum piece sort of negates the Flynn effect don't you think?πŸ™‚

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
29 Jul 16

Originally posted by FMF
I don't think so somehow πŸ˜›

But I note that you have reduced yourself to posting the exact same catchphrases over and over again, robbie carrobie style. πŸ˜‰
Sort of like how someone else (ummm, that's you) repeats questions over and over and over and over in the impotent hope that they'll say what you want to hear?

I don't usually speak up just to hear the noises my mouth makes when I speak. When I say something, it's because I have something to say. Which you usually ignore, calling it blurtspeak or other derivitive names. This is why you are seemingly confused when I tell you what your problem is, which happens to be your inability to relate to other humans. This is why you always draw the wrong conclusions about people. It's that you cannot relate to them. There's some sort of 'disconnect' that is profound and frankly somewhat disturbing.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
29 Jul 16

Originally posted by sonhouse
It's funny, this forum piece sort of negates the Flynn effect don't you think?πŸ™‚
Oh, I don't believe in any so-called "Flynn Effect". I think it's merely a result of a "been-there-done-that" feeling among a collective unconscious.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
29 Jul 16

Originally posted by lemon lime
Dropping names of other people (fictional or otherwise) in order to divert attention away from yourself is not an indication of confidence... am I making you feel nervous or unsure of yourself?
Spot on.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
29 Jul 16

Oh, I don't believe in any so-called "Flynn Effect". I think it's merely a result of a "been-there-done-that" feeling among a collective unconscious.
Well, numerically, it's a real effect. The real question is: Does that mean human intelligence is actually going up or are people just getting better at taking the test, which in that case would mean adjusting the bar upwards so 120 is now back to 100 or whatever.

Like you say, I don't think people are getting smarter, just more skilled at certain tasks. Otherwise such problems as global warming would be being handled on a totally different more reasoned way instead of this BS we see now.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
29 Jul 16

Well, numerically, it's a real effect. The real question is: Does that mean human intelligence is actually going up or are people just getting better at taking the test, which in that case would mean adjusting the bar upwards so 120 is now back to 100 or whatever.

Like you say, I don't think people are getting smarter, just more skilled at certain tasks ...[text shortened]... g would be being handled on a totally different more reasoned way instead of this BS we see now.
Perhaps I misspoke. Yes, there's a numerical effect, but right, "Flynn" was wrong; I do not think people are getting smarter. My point is that the same tests given years or generations apart resulting in people doing better is the result of having "seen" these questions before in the collective unconscious, as described by Jung et al. This is possibly an answer to a question of an evolutionary driver of intelligence in humans as well.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
29 Jul 16
1 edit

Perhaps I misspoke. Yes, there's a numerical effect, but right, "Flynn" was wrong; I do not think people are getting smarter. My point is that the same tests given years or generations apart resulting in people doing better is the result of having "seen" these questions before in the collective unconscious, as described by Jung et al. This is possibly an answer to a question of an evolutionary driver of intelligence in humans as well.
Personally I don't think that is the answer since it has been shown to be a real effect over all countries tested. I don't think the people tested would have fared better due to previous testing. For one thing, if they had been tested it would most likely have been years before, like I had when I was 15 in HS and later at 21 in USAF and such. I scored high, unbeknownst to me, I guess ATT they didn't like to tell kids the results. If I had known, I may have had a different life. I did poorly in college but not because of lack of brains, for instance in chem I got A in lab F in class so redid the semester and that time got a A in class and F in labπŸ™‚ due to non-attendence, I had ADD but didn't know it so was a bit flighty.

BTW, biopsy finally came in this morning, lymph nodes clean, actual nodule pre cancerous which is the best we could hope for, no possibility of metastasis now because they caught it in time before it became cancerous. Great news! Still, she will be in hospital for another week or so and then to some rehab facility for another period of time unknown as to length ATT but all in all good news. That beast is out of her nose and epidural is out and now they are trying to get bladder catheter out but the dam ball end they blow up in there is so far refusing to deflate so that is the next to last thing to get out, next would be the pic line which they stuck in from her neck. Jeez, I hope I never get in that position, it was awful to say the least.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
29 Jul 16
1 edit

Personally I don't think that is the answer since it has been shown to be a real effect over all countries tested. I don't think the people tested would have fared better due to previous testing. For one thing, if they had been tested it would most likely have been years before, like I had when I was 15 in HS and later at 21 in USAF and such. I scored high, ...[text shortened]... tuck in from her neck. Jeez, I hope I never get in that position, it was awful to say the least.
No, you're not understanding my position.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collective_unconscious

This is a theory adopted by some psychologists (mainly those who follow the ideas of Carl Jung) that posits a pool of a shared, or collective, unconsciousness among humanity as a whole. Normally not quite so focused on single tests, for example, but the possibility exists. (Edit: Language doesn't even effect this, as it is the unconscious, the brain still interprets the experience in the same way, regardless of language.) This is the 'angle' I'm coming from on the question. We do better over time on standardized IQ tests because, as a species, we've seen the same test before. Time doesn't effect this and so the tests can even be generations apart, we do better as long as it's the same test someone among humanity has seen before. Just my take on it, you can take that or leave it.

Good news about the biopsy. Catching it earlier is always better than not. And yeah, those catheters can be a nightmare. Had one in a few years back last time I was in and yeah, not pleasant. At least she'll be home soon, that's the best part.

F

Moves
29 Jul 16

Jesus, you're dense.

That you don't get it IS the point. Most others do.
You don't give much to the likes of lemon lime much to work with, Suzianne. πŸ˜›

itiswhatitis

oLd ScHoOl

Moves
29 Jul 16

Originally posted by FMF
You don't give much to the likes of lemon lime much to work with, Suzianne. πŸ˜›
Oh good, you've added my name to your name-dropping repertoire.
I look forward to seeing this in future posts.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
29 Jul 16

BTW, biopsy finally came in this morning, lymph nodes clean, actual nodule pre cancerous which is the best we could hope for, no possibility of metastasis now because they caught it in time before it became cancerous. Great news! Still, she will be in hospital for another week or so and then to some rehab facility for another period of time unknown as to ...[text shortened]... tuck in from her neck. Jeez, I hope I never get in that position, it was awful to say the least.
Sir,
Happy to hear she is on the mend.

Kind Regards,
Sincerely,
-VR

F

Moves
29 Jul 16

Yes, there's a numerical effect, but right, "Flynn" was wrong; I do not think people are getting smarter.
I don't think anyone seriously disputes this. The "Flynn Effect" is simply a statistical thing.

I cannot remember encountering anyone who actually thought IQ tests demonstrate anything other than an ability to pass IQ tests, let alone anyone who thinks such scores point to people being "smarter" in any genuine or holistic way. Have you?

F

Moves
29 Jul 16

Originally posted by lemon lime
Oh good, you've added my name to your name-dropping repertoire.
I look forward to seeing this in future posts.
I "name-dropped" your name? How so? I was referring to the conversation we had.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
29 Jul 16

No, you're not understanding my position.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collective_unconscious

This is a theory adopted by some psychologists (mainly those who follow the ideas of Carl Jung) that posits a pool of a shared, or collective, unconsciousness among humanity as a whole. Normally not quite so focused on single tests, for example, but the pos ...[text shortened]... last time I was in and yeah, not pleasant. At least she'll be home soon, that's the best part.
The problem with that is coming up with a theory as to how there can be such a communal undermind as it were. I think they would have to be thinking in terms of telepathy or some such but there has never been real repeatable results for that.

So Susan is on the mend but won't be out for at least 4 more days and then more time in some rehab facility. She has had now 5 operations, major ones, in the last 3 months. Spinal fusion, 3 operations on a severed tendon on thumb and now this one colorectal.

That is a lot of healing needed.